information needed.

Problem or technical question?

information needed.

Postby bikerlegend on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:15 am

just wondering what i would need to convert a 1.3 hcs to run a rs turbo engine, just need a list of parts really so i can start collecting them. thanks, and if this is in the wrong section then sorry
bikerlegend
Post Master
Post Master

Postby adz on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:38 am

lots :lol:

carisma dave wrote me out a list, i'll hav a search n see what i can find
adz
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby adz on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:40 am

that was quick, lol

Carismadave :I did this many years ago mate. I had both my Blue Fiesta (1.1 at the time!) and a grey FRST. The FRST kept breaking down and one day I just started taking it apart and then swopped everything over!!

As a rough guide you will need:

- Engine
- Gearbox
- Exhaust
- Driveshafts
- Radiator (Standard or uprated)
- Intercooler (Standard or uprated)
- Hoses
- AirBox and Filter
- Engine Loom at the minimum (although better to get entire loom)
- Fuel Pump
- ECU with Chip
- Whole inlet setup/fuel rail/regulator and injectors
- All sensors depending on whether OFAC or OFAB
- New dash binnacle may be needed if you change the wiring loom (funnily enough not all dash's mate up with the manuals!)
- Bigger alternator/starter
- Thermostat Housing and thermostat

Best to get a cheap FRST and swop everything over I would have thought but you never know.

That should start you off...probably loads I've forgotten!

Dave
adz
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bikerlegend on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:49 am

cheers for that mate, i would buy a whole car and swap things over but the lack of space at my house makes that not possible, and this way i can spend money as i get it
bikerlegend
Post Master
Post Master

Postby bikerlegend on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:49 am

cheers for that mate, i would buy a whole car and swap things over but the lack of space at my house makes that not possible, and this way i can spend money as i get it
bikerlegend
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Smo on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:50 am

Roughly:

Fuel Tank, Pump and ideally lines (If carb'd at the moment) or just the pump (if CFi - Think lines are ok?)
Engine (including inlet manifold, charge carrier, all sensors, etc)
Gearbox ideally
Alternator (and bracket)
Start Motor
Engine mount
Engine loom
EDIS module (unless yours has one already, but no idea if it would be the same if you have)
ECU
MAP sensor
Car loom and inertia switch too if yours is non-injection
Exhaust system, including manifold and downpipe etc
Turbo
Coolant hoses
Boost hoses
Air box (and any associated brackets if it needs it - not sure on FRST?), or you could just use a cone filter I guess...
Intercooler
Radiator
Ideally uprated brakes and suspension if yours are standard
Some random brackets like fuel filter bracket, ECU bracket etc (again, if yours isn't injection already that is)

There's probably a few minor things I've forgotten, and probably some major ones too :lol:

Things like the ECU, MAP sensor and loom all have to be the same type though, like all OFAB stuff for example.

It'd probably be far easier and cheaper to buy a working car with a rotten shell than collecting it bit by bit, or at least try and buy a built up engine, may be with all the loom, ECU etc, as otherwise the cost will add up to something silly pretty quick buying it bit-by-bit, especially when you have to pay postage on things!

I did my Zetec conversion bit-by-bit and it definitely cost me a tiny bit more than buying a rotter to strip, however the parts are in far better condition because I've been able to choose the best I could for not a lot more money. FRSTs aren't exactly as common though, and parts are generally worth a lot more, hence why a lot get broken as opposed to being sold whole when the body is rotten.
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby Smo on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:51 am

Argh! Grrrrrrrrr. I'm late! :lol:
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby bikerlegend on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:24 pm

sorry to bring back up this old thread but theres an xr2i just turned up at my local scrappy and the scrap man said he was going to let me have a look at it first as i keep asking when he gets one in to tell me, anyway is there anything i could use off the xr2i to help me with this conversion?
bikerlegend
Post Master
Post Master

Postby ~S1~ on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:37 am

You could nab fuel tank, fuel lines, interior loom, engine loom, fuel filter and bracket. Probly a few more bits as well.
Can you hear me now? Hear you, I can see you, ya dick
~S1~
Hold On...
Hold On...

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.