How to remove ABS

Please check here before posting to see if your question has been answered before.

How to remove ABS

Postby MFkev on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:02 pm

Right I have removed the ABS from my car now. There dont seem to be that much information on the site about what to do so I will post up what I have done.

First off your gonna need a master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir and rear compensators off a car without ABS. I found an Si in the breakers so took the master cylinder and compensators off that, I bought a new reservoir from ford think it was £18(which comes with new seals as well). Probably gonna want new seals for the master cylinder as well so its a good idea to change them now.

I started off by removing all pipe work from the master cylinder to the T-pieces on the inner wing. Then I took the servo off to give a little extra room. I removed the ABS modulators then put the servo back with the different master cylinder. Also need to remove the load apportioning valves, these are at the back near the spare wheel.

Next bit you need to connect up the the brake lines. You have a few choice here, use all the brake linings from another car, patch up the existing lines with braided hose or just use braided hose to the calipers/drums. On mine I made up braided lines from the cylinder to the existing lines on the car and at the back run braided lines to the drums from where the load valves were. Also need to bypass the warning swiches, cut the switches from the loom near the bulkhead and join the wires together.

Then double check all connections are correct/ tight, fill with fresh brake fluid and bleed the system. I used about 2.5 litres of fluid and I still think there is some air in the system :aaah:

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

Cheers
Kev
Last edited by MFkev on Wed May 04, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. T once captured Bigfoot, but released him after he shaved the beast and realized that it was just Chuck Norris walking around naked in the woods.
MFkev
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:26 am

Nice one Kev, this wants moving to the guides section.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby ste_turbo on Tue May 03, 2005 4:46 pm

I did it a simple way on last car and took out the fuse

lol
ste_turbo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MFkev on Tue May 03, 2005 5:47 pm

One way to stop the light on the dash :lol:

I had trouble stoping in a straight line though :aaah: :lol:
Mr. T once captured Bigfoot, but released him after he shaved the beast and realized that it was just Chuck Norris walking around naked in the woods.
MFkev
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chubbs358 on Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 pm

good job iv been after this info for abit now im planing to get rid of my abs to :)
chubbs358
All Show And No Go!
All Show And No Go!

Postby paulfsi on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:40 pm

but why get rid of a brilliant feature? :-?
paulfsi
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Zetecfiesta on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:13 pm

paulfsi :but why get rid of a brilliant feature? :-?

are you joking? abs on old fords is poo!
Zetecfiesta
Post Master
Post Master

Postby woodo on Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:04 pm

its fun have a,b,s i love it :) :D
xr2i
woodo
Poster
Poster

Postby chubbs358 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:08 pm

its scary to have abs on mine must get it off asap :o
chubbs358
All Show And No Go!
All Show And No Go!

Postby xmadxmoex on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:15 pm

abs means no fun.. 80-0mph tramlines :P without abs :P
xmadxmoex
Post Master
Post Master

Postby chubbs358 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:51 pm

abs means form me i pull like crazy to the drivers side and the steering wheel shakes like mad after hard breaking. safty my arse
chubbs358
All Show And No Go!
All Show And No Go!

Postby Luke_Si on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:56 pm

Do u have to remove the vavle things at the back do they affect the braking at all thanks for any help.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:58 pm

I have read up on the back vavle things you dont need to remove them :)
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Mines out now £3 pund for the resour from a scapy and £12 for two 12 inch long pipe with the new connection on pics up soon.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby fiesta_fras on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:21 am

we have to remove the rear valves to get the rear brakes bled. in the end made up some copper pipe to bridge the inlet and outlet of the abs valve. taking it out the equation but not having to mess about too much, only needed 4inches of pipe with flared ends and new unions for each side. about £6 worth from a motor factors. oh and you will need a flaring tool or know someone with 1, any old skool garage/mot should be able to falre the ends for a beer token.
RIP Robert Martin - Rob - Elm_us
fiesta_fras
Elite Poser
Elite Poser

Postby rs_turbo_cabriolet on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:36 am

what pipes do i need?
rs_turbo_cabriolet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Luke_Si on Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:49 pm

Stif pipe i used and i dint remove my vavles on the back and it bleeds fine that tells the abs how much load is on the back.
Luke_Si
Poster
Poster

Postby ukmicky on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:12 pm

The ABS on my FRST saved me from wrecking it on the first day i got it and on a number of occasions since. It may not be the best system in the world but i wouldn't be without it.
Hopefully the belts will never become impossible to get if they break other wise i may need your guide
ukmicky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The ABS on my FRST saved me from wrecking it on the first day i got it and on a number of occasions since. It may not be the best system in the world but i wouldn't be without it.
Hopefully the belts will never become impossible to get, if they break other wise i may need your guide
ukmicky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hopefully the belts will never become impossible to get if they break other wise i may need your guide
ukmicky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.