XR2i turbo

Problem or technical question?

XR2i turbo

Postby ben47771 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 am

This question has most likely been answered before but I couldn’t find it when I searched.

I have a 1.6 XR2i with 95k on the clock. The engine is in great condition, good compression all round new cooling system valve stems cam belt no smoke or rattles.

What would I have to do to that engine to safely turbo it? First I get it to standard FRST spec around 135BHP. I’m looking at around 200bhp in the future once I have got it all turboed up and running. I know I need to change the pistons to lower compression RS pistons and the Fiesta turbo injectors will be needed. Are the valves from the 2i ok or will I need RS turbo ones? Anything else to the engine its self need to be done?

Next bit, I think I know what I need to complete the job to standard Fiesta Turbo spec tell me if I have missed anything or mentioned something I don’t need,
Turbo,
Manifold,
Exhaust system,
Intercooler,
Crossover pipe,
FRST ECU,
FRST injectors,
FRST fuel pump
Boost pipes connecting all together.

I would also need a FRST rad wouldn’t I? Do I need to use a FRST loom? Somebody told me I wouldn’t have to as the 2i loom is more or less the same. Can I just add to the 2i loom is this correct? What’s easiest? :-?

Would the xr2i brakes be good enough for a turbo? What’s best to upgrade to the handle around 200bhp? Cosworth front discs and callipers?

Thanks, any help be greatly appreciated
Ben
:)
Old Fords Never Die; They Just Get Faster!
Drives: Fiesta RS Turbo, Zetec turbo. Ford Transit Crew cab tipper 2012. 2005 Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130 Sline
ben47771
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: 1990 Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby paradox on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:18 am

your best bet and probably cheapest is to fnd a rotten frst and swap everything over to your shell.

the parts that you dont use and what you have left over can be sold on to get some of your initial outlay back
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby blackierst on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:43 pm

you will need rst rad as the turbo is water cooled, unless you wanna run it uncooled and are very careful about warm up and warm down.....

but its watercooled for a reason im sure :)
blackierst
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ben47771 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:28 am

So i would need to use the rad then.

There is no point me buying a rotten shell really as i have most of the parts already its just the engine that is my main worry at the moment. Dont now if to just swap the engine over with a FRST engine or just change pistons etc in mine.

What else needs changing other then pistons?
Drives: Fiesta RS Turbo, Zetec turbo. Ford Transit Crew cab tipper 2012. 2005 Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130 Sline
ben47771
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby paradox on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:07 am

the xr2i has no oil return in the block for the turbo.

The frst uses different pistons and rods to the xr2i but i think thats the only differance on the bottom end.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby lowsi on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:47 pm

i'd deff use cossie brakes mate, or u might park it in a ditch/random field
lowsi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ben47771 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:03 pm

If i was to use cossie brakes would i just get away with the front discs and standerd 2i or FRST rear drums?

So really ita be best if i can get hold af and FRST engine and just wack that in instead of messing around with the 2i lump.
ben47771
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby paradox on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:10 pm

My fiest project started out in life as an 8 valve xr2i.

Im fitting a frst engine and ancileries and using cosworth front callipers and discs

The xr2i had exactly the same discs and callipers as the frst but as people hardly ever leave the frst engine in a standard state of tune its well worth the cosworth brake upgrade.
The rear drums are fine to be left in place
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ben47771 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 am

Ok is it really as simple as just changing the discs and calipers? I dont need to change anything else? Never really done much with brakes other then the old disc and pad change!
ben47771
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby paradox on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

Theres a guide in the guides section that explains it all
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.