ABS

Problem or technical question?

ABS

Postby Fra on Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:50 pm

Hi
I'm italian and I speak english orribly, then don't laught, please.
Three years ago I buied a fiesta turbo '91. Now it has 75000 km and there is a problem: the ABS (or ALB for Ford) warning-light is turning on/off very fast and the rear weels are blocking even if I push softly the brake.
Someone can help me (also to write english better :-) ) ?
Fra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby crazy.george on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:55 am

errrr, pass on that one!!!

anyone else him him out?
Coolio™ Confuddled™
ImageImage
You Drive Me Crazy
elvis136@hotmail.com
crazy.george
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Muzzy on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:11 pm

Sounds like a problem with the abs belt tension. Best to take the switch off to check the belt's tension. It the belt is ok then it could be a short or a loose wire.
Muzzy
Poster
Poster

Postby Quantum on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:53 pm

Also if the rear brakes are locking up have you fitted the ABS bias valves that are mounted to the underside of the car just behind the petrol tank and have rods to connect to the rear beam to compensate for loads in the back. It sounds like this could be either missing or out of adjustment.

As for the ABS light it definately sounds like you need to tighten the belts by adjusting the modulators.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fra on Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:02 am

Thanks.
Last week I tried to check the belt tension from the hole of the switch and I see that is very soft: pushing it (the belt), it stop about 1.5 - 2 cm. I check only one belt, then I don't know if it's normal. It's normal that is so soft? I suppose yes because the switch measure the tension of belt when the car is running or the wheel is blocking and so, turn on/off the abs. Or no?

Another question: how the abs do to check the rear wheel? I don't find no one sensor or belt. Maybe Quantum tell about regulator of braking at the rear?
Fra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Quantum on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:25 am

As I said really mate. If you look under the rear of the car you should see 2 arms coming off the rear beam near to the middle. These should be connected to a pair of valves that the brake pipes run through. These adjust the valve and brake force distributed to the rear brakes depending on the load in the back of the car.

On cars with ABS these replace the bias valves that are usually mounted near the servo in the engine bay.

Cananyone with a digital camera handy take a photo of these? I won't be able to get hold of a digital camera for at least 3 weeks.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fra on Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:34 pm

No photo, thanks. I understand. My mechanic knowledge is better that english :rolleyes: For my fiesta turbo I built a pop off, a two stage overboost, an electronic thermostat and many others things! :bonkers: OOOps, I give myself too airs...
This evening I go to adjust the belt tension.
Maybe the rear wheels are blocking for a problem indipendent from the abs. Maybe the suspension lowered take in error the regulator of braking. This week end I'll try to lower the 2 "untie-head bolt" (??? "testa a snodo" ???) to decrease the braking at the rear.
Thanks for all!
Ahhhhhh.... How many hour you laught for all errors (orror is better)
Fra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Fra on Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:43 pm

it was the belt tension! Now is ok and the warning light is off!
Thanks!
Fra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Quantum on Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:18 pm

Fra,

If you've lowered the car and you have the bias valves at the back you may need to adjust them as it'll be applying more braking to the rear because it thinks there is more weight in there.

Don't worry about you english as it's a lot better than my Italian :lol: It probably better than my English anyway :o

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby davy on Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:47 pm

Another question: how the abs do to check the rear wheel? I don't find no one sensor or belt. Maybe Quantum tell about regulator of braking at the rear?[/quote]

the abs on the rst is only two channel which mean it only monitors and works two wheels, in this case its the fronts. there is no control on the back. i have never found this to be a problem as it requires a lot of effort to lock the back wheels.
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fra on Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:20 pm

This morning I adjusted the regulator of braking at the rear. Now the rear wheels not block.

For davy: I asked you how the system check the rear wheels because the local ford has print me the abs system for fiesta 89_96 and the title is: ABS on four wheels.
Maybe, for ford, the two belts are telepathics and feel the rear wheels... :lol:

Bye!
Fra
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.