[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
1.6 Conversion - How much?! : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

1.6 Conversion - How much?!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

1.6 Conversion - How much?!

Postby MeltedBen on Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:20 pm

I've got a MK3 1.1 CFi LX......

I've kinda gathered that the best conversion to go for is the 1.6S engine (same as engines in the MK2 XR2) - apparantly cos it needs the least amount of parts changing and both engines are not injected so you don't need to fit injectors and mess with the fuel pump/lines etc?

(Duno if this is right?)

BASICALLY - How much will it cost for all this??:
For this engine
Early carbs of MK2 XR2 / replacement carbs (webber 40's / 45's??)
Fitting
Anything else that'd need changing (and what bits?)

I know this has probly been posted bfore - but i have searched, and I can't actually find the info on price and ease of doing it!!

Cheers

(Help me, c'mon its christmas!!) :lol:
MeltedBen
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby wywywywy on Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:32 pm

CFi = injection engine I think... so it is not as straightforward as you might think.

I asked a local small garage, he gave me a quote of 150pounds labour, he reckon it should be one days work. (That is providing the donor engine is in good condition and nothing needs to be done to it.) Mine is a 1.1 HCS Carb.

Look at Project ST's lovely website http://st2000.s5.com/ff3engineswaps.html for the parts you'd need.

A MK2 XR2 usually costs less than 600pounds, so you can buy the whole car, rip the guts out, and break the car and sell the windows, seats, lights etc.

I was gonna do the same, HOWEVER, I have a few reasons you might need to consider...

1. Carb engines don't like cold weather :(
2. Most MK2 XR2 are old and thrashed, so it is hard to find a good engine
3. For not much more money, Zetec 2.0 can be obtained
4. Zetec 2.0 is the ultimate >_< Not long after your 1.6S, you'd want more power...
5. Zetec 2.0 is actually lower insurance than 1.6S, because HIC consider it to be only group 9 (same as Mondeo 2.0)
6. DIY is not quite possible unless you can afford the car to go off road for a period and have a big big big garage, with engine hoist, engine stand etc

In short, what we need is Zetec 2.0 >_<
Hope this helps.

And merry Xmas.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1600power on Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:13 pm

wywywywy :CFi = injection engine I think... so it is not as straightforward as you might think.

I asked a local small garage, he gave me a quote of 150pounds labour, he reckon it should be one days work. (That is providing the donor engine is in good condition and nothing needs to be done to it.) Mine is a 1.1 HCS Carb.

Look at Project ST's lovely website http://st2000.s5.com/ff3engineswaps.html for the parts you'd need.

A MK2 XR2 usually costs less than 600pounds, so you can buy the whole car, rip the guts out, and break the car and sell the windows, seats, lights etc.

I was gonna do the same, HOWEVER, I have a few reasons you might need to consider...

1. Carb engines don't like cold weather :(
2. Most MK2 XR2 are old and thrashed, so it is hard to find a good engine
3. For not much more money, Zetec 2.0 can be obtained
4. Zetec 2.0 is the ultimate >_< Not long after your 1.6S, you'd want more power...
5. Zetec 2.0 is actually lower insurance than 1.6S, because HIC consider it to be only group 9 (same as Mondeo 2.0)
6. DIY is not quite possible unless you can afford the car to go off road for a period and have a big big big garage, with engine hoist, engine stand etc

In short, what we need is Zetec 2.0 >_<
Hope this helps.

And merry Xmas.

I wud like to correct some points made above!

You can pick up XR2's far cheaper than £600, more like £200 this is because the bodywork on them has usually given up but mechanically wise their sound.

Regarding the thrashed engines on XR2's your probebly right but really you should be reconditioning the engine anyway before it gets dropped into the car to make changing componants alot easier, if this isnt an option then look out for a car like the one in my above point that comes with some documented history and only a few previous owners.

Not all carbs are bad in the cold, mine for example is fine so dont let the carb be a deciding factor in you not wanting one, they are excellent engines.

If you say u got the engine out of a 1.6s (which is the same as an XR2), then the insurance group will be grp 9 which is the same as the mondeo based on wywywywy's comments. the 1.6s is a Grp 9 car, it was only the XR2 and XR2i that sat in Grp 14!!!!

Regarding the engines installation you wont just be able to drop the engine in and think thats it, you will need to change the fuel tank, fuel lines, entire exhust, brakes calipers, discs and pads, etc.

As previously mentioned check out projects website or excursions website http://www.fiestaprojects.com/ which has some information that might also be of help!

Cheers!
now sold but not forgotten! :(
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:53 pm

1600power :If you say u got the engine out of a 1.6s (which is the same as an XR2), then the insurance group will be grp 9 which is the same as the mondeo based on wywywywy's comments. the 1.6s is a Grp 9 car, it was only the XR2 and XR2i that sat in Grp 14!!!!

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't know the engine of 1.6S is the same as XR2 :D

But... I don't see any MK2 1.6S, do you mean MK3 1.6S?
Thanks.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1600power on Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:11 pm

wywywywy :
1600power :If you say u got the engine out of a 1.6s (which is the same as an XR2), then the insurance group will be grp 9 which is the same as the mondeo based on wywywywy's comments. the 1.6s is a Grp 9 car, it was only the XR2 and XR2i that sat in Grp 14!!!!

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't know the engine of 1.6S is the same as XR2 :D

But... I don't see any MK2 1.6S, do you mean MK3 1.6S?
Thanks.

Yer 1.6s only came in mk3 form, and basicully they used up the large amount of XR2 engines left over from the old mk2 XR2.
now sold but not forgotten! :(
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MeltedBen on Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:19 pm

Ahh....poo! :(

See I thought I cud just do the stright swap with the 1.6S engine and not have to change other stuff.....

Hmm not sure if I can afford all other bits too!
MeltedBen
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Stoned on Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:26 pm

Carb engines can run a bit rough when cold however. My 1.6's did

Also it's 90bhp to the 2.0L Zetec's 130bhp

But it's a lot less work.
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Daniel on Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:35 pm

It maybe 90 odd bhp but they are fairly simple to tune, mines going in for the full works pretty soon so will see what I can get out of it :)
Daniel
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Matt L on Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:21 pm

Dunno if this is of any help but i did this conversion about 1 month ago. Cost me £150 for the engine inc everything and 350 for mechanical work. And considering the wether is pritty bad at the moment its running fine. All i need to do is uprate the brakes, calipers etc. And after 6 months of driving i think 90 bhp is good enough 4 me. :D
Matt L
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wywywywy on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:04 am

Matt L :Dunno if this is of any help but i did this conversion about 1 month ago. Cost me £150 for the engine inc everything and 350 for mechanical work. And considering the wether is pritty bad at the moment its running fine. All i need to do is uprate the brakes, calipers etc. And after 6 months of driving i think 90 bhp is good enough 4 me. :D

I ordered Calipers :D

So what about insurance?

By the way I got a quote of 250 for a whole Mondeo 2.0 donor car, which is rear damaged, so the engine is fine. But the local garage won't give me a quote of putting a Zetec 2.0 in a MK3 Fiesta, they said "it depends". I reckon it sounds like over 500 because they think it'll be a 3 days work.
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tomdom on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:16 am

xr2 isnt in the same insurance group as a 1.6s tho is it

afaik not just the carbs that were different aswell

i was guna do the same but practially was given a 2i so didnt bother
unfortunatly i got rid of the xr2 with a good engine!
but i have the parts u need if ur interested (top right hand engine mount and mk3 cvh throttle cable)
u wont need to change the fuel tank :)

btw i got my mk2 xr2 for £40 so keep looking :D :lol:
ImageBreaking 2i, lots of parts available!, pm me
Tomdom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.