1.6 Si & steering problems

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

1.6 Si & steering problems

Postby Sams Si on Sat May 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Hey eyeryone. This is my first post at FT.com so hello to all you fiesta lovers.

Here's my prob... i bought a 1.6 Si about 1 month ago. I've had all four tyres changed and had the tracking done too. But, the car still seems to pull to the left if you take your hands off the wheel.

Any ideas what else it could be and the associated costs?

Also, when i put my put down, sometimes the car jerks a lot, almost like its going to stall. Its just been serviced and all spark plugs were changed. Could this be the spark plug leads that cause it?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Last edited by Sams Si on Sun May 23, 2004 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby chumkila on Sat May 22, 2004 10:05 pm

re: the steering have u had ur brakes checked out?

in regard to the jerking, could be the HT leads or possibly a sensor issue i.e. TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Sams Si on Sun May 23, 2004 8:22 am

ummm... i havent had the footbrake checked out (although ive had a look at the pads which have a fair bit of life yet). i know the handbrake is totally gone because you have to pull it up so much for it to stop the car and even then, the car still moves around for example when u jack the car up even the slightest bit.

Ill have to get the TPS checked by a pro cuz im not to sure where it is and how to check it.

Thanks chumkila for the reply.
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Ghia Boyo on Sun May 23, 2004 11:44 am

I had the problem with the handbrake not engaging properly. Had it adjusted a couple of times, and kept slipping. Turned out a garage had previosuly put the wrong rear brake shoes on, they were too small (not sure exactly). Changed those to the right ones for the car and has been fine ever since.
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby Sams Si on Sun May 23, 2004 11:50 am

hmmm... i think i should get the handbrake checked by the pro's aswell then.

:)
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Ghia Boyo on Sun May 23, 2004 12:35 pm

yeh i would do. Was just spending money for no reason getting it adjusted... reminds me of the same problem with the clutch cable!! Had to get a "modified arm".... previous to that it was quite rough, you noticed that at all?? Be careful, it aint so fun when they snap!! (happened twice :()
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby Sams Si on Sun May 23, 2004 6:48 pm

actually, the person i bought the car off of told me that he just had a new clutch cable fitted (probably cuz it snapped) but the clutch now still seems very hard. Maybe that the ratchet packing in, dunno. :(
Damn, cant imagine driving and then all of a sudden, you got no clutch or gears to use.

this is my first car so all the experiences that you are sharing with me is very valuable.

Thanks for all your help! nice 1. :)

(i can jus feel a big garage bill coming up, lol)
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Snyx on Sun May 23, 2004 6:58 pm

Just a little question, did the place you got your wheels aligned give you a printout of the angles of Camber and Toe-in?

Had a bit of a problem on my CRX with the camber on the front left wheels being too negative hence the car pulled to the left all the time when you let go of the wheel. I'm not sure about Fiestas, but the camber is not adjustable on my CRX without a camber kit so possibly the garage may not have been able to adjust it?

Just an idea :wink:
Snyx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Ghia Boyo on Sun May 23, 2004 8:15 pm

First time it snapped was in a traffic jam, so just pushed it down a side road. Second time (only a couple of months later BEWARE!!) was driving at about 30mph... stuck in 4th... chugged to a parking space and stalled it into it...

Didnt cost me too much IIRC, but was much smoother once it was all sorted. Hasnt snapped since (year on), so modified arm(??) was the fix.

Hope things get sorted out !

8)
Ghia Boyo
Poster
Poster

Postby Sams Si on Sun May 23, 2004 8:25 pm

Synx: about the print out - nope, they never gave me any print out whatsoever. thats something ill learn to get in the future. i might go back and ask em to sort it out or re-align it because its only been like 2 weeks and the guy at the garage knows me well.

Ghia Boyo: i hope this doesnt happen to me. my mate has also got an Si and his clutch is also very stiff, so at first, i thought it was the norm. but now that im hearing about cables snapping, im consdiering getting that arm modified.

all you help very much appreciated! thanks alot! :)
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dave_si on Mon May 24, 2004 11:29 am

mine snapped aswell, luckily it was right outside my house :lol: :lol: :lol:

but this was after 3 hours of cleaning :x

hope u get everything sorted Sam
dave_si
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sams Si on Mon May 24, 2004 6:13 pm

lol :lol:

cheers mate!
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby E$cobar on Tue May 25, 2004 5:51 pm

Is your car lowered ?
I had tracking problems since i had the car and they've only just been sorted. Upgraded bushes mite be an idea . :)
"Don't get up gentlemen, I'm only
passing through...."
E$cobar
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Sams Si on Tue May 25, 2004 5:58 pm

Hey E$cober, nope, the car is fully standard (..for now that is! :lol: )

damn this bloody steering problem. i think the car is cursed, lol!
ImageImage
Sams Si
Post Master
Post Master

Postby nosworth on Tue May 25, 2004 8:55 pm

could be worn bushes on the lower arms or the UJ in the steering could be worn..Is there any play in the steering wheel at all?
Fear is standard brakes
nosworth
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.