1.8 Zetecs, mine's a wonkey donkey!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Andy_XR2i on Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:59 pm

whats the best way to test the engine temp sensors and what ranges do they operate in?

My 16v 2i's zetec seems to be having issues again! jerky and awkward below 2.5K rpm, looking at the output from the lamba sensor, it can go radically lean for a few seconds, throttle feels flat as a pancake, unresponsive, then the reading suddenly flies high as compensation a couple of seconds later and as a result, slightly less flat but still rough running for a few seconds.

This only seems to happen on mild throttle accn. and more when warming up, but the whole car feels kind of strangled and jerky below 3K rpm.

It's the second TPS I've tried, the throttle body is off the 2.0L but other people using this dont seem to have this problem. Only other mod is a straight through exhaust, cats still there.

Anyone spot anything that sticks out as a possible cause?

I'm thinking bad fuel pressure maybe? iffy temp sensor?

from the lambda display the A/F ratio looks ok, apart from when it seemingly shuts off(!) so im a bit lost!!!!!

Andy
Andy_XR2i
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:33 pm

Possibly that your ECU thinks it still has the original (smaller) TB and therefore less airflow going into the engine. Following this line, the increased size of the throttle body would be more likely to cause the inlet manifold airflow to stall, and the ECU is probably undercompensating before overcompensating.

In any case, the only thing I could suggest is to (a) try swapping the throttle bodies back, temporarily, and (b) get it rolling roaded.

Al
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Excursion on Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:27 pm

Teh alrger throttle body is LESS likely to cause air stall due to the free flowing nature of it. The smaller one changes the shape of the airflow, causes turbulence and therefore a slow in air speed.

Zetecs run froma MAF so can account for many engine changes - the 1600 ECU will run the 2 litre no probs.

It sounds like ur o2 probe is fobed andy
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Project on Thu Aug 02, 2001 9:39 pm

I would listen to Mark.

The tb prob I imagine is that the sudden lack of resistance in the inlet manifold tract would equalise the pressure in the tract to the outside environment much faster, causing the airflow to slow rapidly and causing a similar situation to that in turbofan engines where the airflow through the compressor blades stalls and normal physics rules no longer apply as they should.

Boring sod, aren't I? :grin:
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Excursion on Fri Aug 03, 2001 12:32 pm

:wink:
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.