165 Chip - Fuel Pressure?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

165 Chip - Fuel Pressure?

Postby Mint FRST on Thu May 29, 2003 1:37 pm

I'm running a hybrid, pace cooler and eventually a chip and actuator. I can only assume the fuel pressure has to raised.

Does any one Know the pressure it should be raised to?

I want and can do this myself at first but will eventually have a proper set up on some rollers - before those of you tell me I should do it that way!
Not to be rude!

Does anybody know what the fuel pressure should be tweaked to and base idle set to say on a car with an excellent and running 12 - 14 PSI

Anybody? :lol:
Mint FRST
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

SetUp

Postby Mint FRST on Thu May 29, 2003 1:39 pm

Forgot to say 'Excellent Engine'
Mint FRST
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Thu May 29, 2003 2:46 pm

Fuel pressure will not need to change much - your pump should be uprated through as the existing one won't be able to maintain pressure above a certain level of fuel consumption, although it should be ok up to around the 180bhp mark. The Esc Cos pump can be fitted with the standard regulator and will do the job fine.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu May 29, 2003 7:46 pm

Project is right, your fuelling might not be able to cope with the amount of boost especially as you have a hybrid turbo which shifts more air than a std.
Your safest bet is to wait and get it set-up properly. There is no magic fuel pressure number as every engine is different.

Do it properly first time and save yourself a blown up engine!
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Fuel Pressure

Postby Mint FRST on Fri May 30, 2003 1:20 pm

Fair enough chaps, thanks for the info.

:)
Mint FRST
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

>

Postby MIK3Y on Sat May 31, 2003 12:15 am

Can some 1 explain to me how they 'set-up' the engine properly when carring out these mods? What varibles are changed to achieve perfection? Thanx.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it.
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:27 pm

When on a rolling road, the tuner can set-up your fuelling. This is done by using a gas analyzer from your exhaust. They will then make sure base idle is ok (doesnt break the MOT rules) and then they can run your car up (under load) and make sure your getting enough fuel coming through. They do this by watching the gas analyzer. Obviously if it goes too low they can turn up the fuel pressure, this will then give you more fuel going into the cylinder. They can also turn down the fuel pressure if your running too rich.

a rolling road is a harsh test for your car it will also show up any weak spots ;)
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

>

Postby MIK3Y on Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:59 am

I feel stupid but am i missing something?
How is the fuel pressure changed? ECU adjustments if u hav a chip? Do u need an adjustable fuel pump for the stage 1 or something?
How else can u get ur car set-up properly with-out rolling roading it?
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it.
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Quantum on Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:22 pm

The fuel pressure regulator on the injector rail of the FRST has a cap that can be drilled out to gain access to an adjustment screw, or you can waste money on an FSE boost valve.

However only adjust this is you really know what you are doing or you will most likely cause serious engine damage.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

>

Postby MIK3Y on Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:17 am

Is that what they do when they set-up the stage 1 chip on a RRd?
Who can set it up? Do i need a high pressure fuel pump?
CheeRS
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Quantum on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:57 am

OK The spec of my engine is stage 3 head, T2 cam, K&N panel filter, custom RS500 sized intercooler, T2 turbo running 12-13psi, Magnex exhaust and Superchips 165 chip. I had the chip installed boost set up and fueling set last year by Mike a RallyTec near me, but any decent tuner can do that job. Done necessarily go for the person with the biggest ad as the best prople do not need to advertise. I was recommended this guy by 2 seperate people and took my car back last month for a check over.

Parts not listed above are still standard and the bottom end and turbo have done 93,000 miles.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

>

Postby MIK3Y on Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:16 am

Will the PACE intercooler do the job for up to 14/15 psi?
So how do they set it up properly? Literally what do they do? Turn the fuel pressure dial, program the chip? CheeRS :Q
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Quantum on Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:04 am

The Pace intercooler should be OK at that boost, but an ACT guage will help keep an eye on the temperatures. Go to Halfords and buy yourself the clock/thermometer with the externat sensor (which you dissaemble to just the thermister(sp?) and hang in the charge air flow.

As to exactly what the tuner does - pass as I trusted him completely, but basically the set the fueling and boost corectly, but I don't know in which order.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.