165 chip

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

165 chip

Postby paradox on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:35 pm

due to always playing with naturally aspirated cars in the past im having a bit of trouble getting my head around the process of chipping a turbo car.

I presume that when a 165 chip is fitted to the ecu it raises the limit that the boost will be cut at and alters the fuelling map to suit a larger amount of boost been run ?

So i buy a 165 chip suitable for my frst ecu (ofac) and plug it into the back of the ecu then does the ecu automatically raise the boost by way of the amal valve or does the amount of boost been produced have to be alterd by adjusting the rod on the actuator?

If it by adjusting the rod on the actuator how do you adjust it to the desired amount?

I understand you will need a boost gauge connected and winding the rod one way will increase boost and the other way decrease it but im unsure as to the exact process.

could someone explain this to me in simple terms as id like to get my head around it before i purchase a chip.
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JamieFRST on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:36 pm

ft.com - Tuning the RS Turbo :On a standard engine, the RST's ECU will allow 9psi of boost to be run before the overboost protection cuts in and either causes the car to jerk violently or cut the ignition. This is basically the ECU shutting down to prevent damage to the engine caused by excessive boost. In order to run more than 9psi the next stage is to chip the car. On the Fiestas this involves a 'piggyback' chip module such as a Superchip, which plugs into the diagnostic port on the ECU, situated under the dashboard in the passenger footwell. The chip overrides some of the manufacturer's preset limits and on some chips also instructs adjustments to be made to the way the ECU performs certain functions.

An alternative method of increasing the boost is to use a bleed valve. This device 'bleeds' off boost pressure before the actuator, fooling the actuator into thinking it is running lower boost than it really is. The main problem with bleed valves is that although cheap, they raise the boost pressure without allowing the ECU to make adjustments to the fuelling, which can cause the engine to detonate or 'pink', leading to premature wear and engine damage. They also remove the boost limit, rendering the ECU unable to shutdown the engine if a problem should arise.

A 'stage 1' or '165' chip, so called because of the power its claimed to give, raises the boost limit in the ECU from 9psi to 14psi. This allows the car to run around 12psi without overboosting. The exact boost pressure is set by adjusting the wastgate actuator on the turbo. The actuator has a threaded rod that enables the boost to be set by altering the preload. The spring inside is conical so the more it is compressed, the stiffer it becomes. This is how actuator preload increases the boost. A -32 or '10psi' actuator is so called because it will hold a minimum of 10psi boost. Realistically with a 165 chip and 12psi boost you could expect a power output of around 150-160bhp at the flywheel depending on engine condition and setup.
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby paradox on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:03 pm

so would i also need a -31 actuator

and with regards to adjusting the actuator is it a case of winding the rod a little then going for a drive and seeing what boost it produces then adjusting it accdordingly untill 12 psi is maintained?

And i take it that the chip adjusts the fuelling to suit 12 psi so no adjustment to the co pot,fuel pressure or anything else is needed?
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Superal on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm

The chip should be mapped accordingly...so you just put it in, set the boost and thats it....tbh i dont think the 165 does much other then allowing you more boost...its the 195 that starts adjusting fuelling as you have to change the injectors
Superal
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby paradox on Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:10 pm

thanks for the replys

so when you fit a 195 chip and beige injectors what boost should it be set at then?

can you use a 195 chip with the t2 turbocharger or do you have to do the t3 conversion?

and with the 195 chip i take it you would have to use the -31 actuator?
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Superal on Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:50 pm

I am using a 195 chip with beiges, T28 hybrid and the actuator that came with it and the boost can go up to 18psi but he amount you run depends on what turbo you have. Standard T2 stick to 165 ;) ! Also it is best you get a 195 chip setup once fitted to check fueling etc :)
Superal
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.