1800 ZVH Questions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

1800 ZVH Questions

Postby CRF on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 pm

Was thinking about this the other night but couldnt find any examples when searching.

Has anyone swapped to an 1800 zetec bottom end and decomp plate set up as a budget replacement for a knackered 1600 CVH bottom end.

Was just wondering if it is possible to run an 1800 ZVH (standard pistons and decomp plate) using a 195 chip and beige injectors?

I know the usual ZT over ZVH argument but im thinking from a cheap alternative and not looking at massive power gains, just a decent increase in bhp and lower down torque.

So has anyone got this sort of setup and how does it run?

Cheers

Chris.
CRF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby niracka on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:42 pm

u would still have to have the zetec bottom reworked to run on the cvh head i think.
oll
niracka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: E46 M3

Postby CRF on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah I realise what needs doing to fit it, i'm more interested in if you can run it on beiges and a 195 chip.

Just trying to satisfy my curiosity.
CRF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby niracka on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm

oh right, i'm not too sure bout all that lol shouldn't c why not thaugh might have to use low comp pistons or something for the extra boost of the chip thaugh.
niracka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fiestamk3.5 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:34 pm

what work has to be done to the bottom end and can you keep original gear box
fiestamk3.5
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby niracka on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:54 pm

not too sure bout that. Too be honest m8 u'd b best of ringing an engine builder and asking them for some advice about it and they will be able to tell you everything u need to know bout it.
niracka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:52 pm

You know Ian's the man Chris, holla at him see what the dealio!

You Blackpool people have been keeping yourselves to yourselves haven't you? What's going on with you all? I've got my car with me at uni now, so will bob over if you're all around at some point?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby CRF on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 pm

How do mate!

Surprised no one's done it before to be honest.

Long time no see, this weekends probably good mate. Not got anything planned myself, apart from giving the fez a good clean, its filthy at the moment!!!

Sure matt will be happy to take you out in the new evo if you pop down as well.

8)
CRF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:04 am

I'm going down to Urban Racing for my new tyres on Saturday afternoon, but if I get back up here at a reasonable hour I may well blast over there, I'll give Matt a bell if I can get there before 5ish or something, which I should be able to!

So he DID get one in the end! I haven't spoken to him for a couple of months, so didn't know he picked one up in the end. Did he get a V in the end? Fill me in! Is Leigh's still going strong?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby CRF on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:29 am

Sounds good to me mate.

Yeah, it's a V but has been dressed up as a VI while in the land of the rising sun.

Sunglasses recommended......

http://www.lancerregister.com/showpic.php?pic=car_register/images/19521.jpg

8)
CRF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:20 pm

That is divine! :aviator: Did he forget to change his polishing cloth after polishing the Dax? ;)
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: 1800 ZVH Questions

Postby reisskahn on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:02 am

CRF :Was thinking about this the other night but couldnt find any examples when searching.

Has anyone swapped to an 1800 zetec bottom end and decomp plate set up as a budget replacement for a knackered 1600 CVH bottom end.

Was just wondering if it is possible to run an 1800 ZVH (standard pistons and decomp plate) using a 195 chip and beige injectors?

I know the usual ZT over ZVH argument but im thinking from a cheap alternative and not looking at massive power gains, just a decent increase in bhp and lower down torque.

So has anyone got this sort of setup and how does it run?

Yeh i want to know the same to, esp about the chip and injectors. Can u still use a stage1 (195 superchip) or that wont be anygood and its best to get one mapped?

Cheers

Chris.
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Postby fiestamk3.5 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:47 pm

id be interested to now this as well im suprised no ones really mentioned it before as it seems a simpler option for a quick power gain

what exactly would be required to do it
fiestamk3.5
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby reisskahn on Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:31 am

hmm well am seriously looking into it since my 1.6 bottom ends gone and on a budget. Will ring around and see what the crack is
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Postby fiestamk3.5 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 am

make sure you post what you find out as im also considering it
fiestamk3.5
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby edders on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 pm

thinking about it if youve got the head machined on to the zetec bottom you can do just about any mod you want to the head and if it would run on a cvh it should run on the zvh
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby reisskahn on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:51 pm

Well i spoke to my tuner and he strongly advised me not to go for this kind of a setup. Well the bottom end i seen was a 1.8 zetec all converted for a cvh head etc so its a zvh but the pistons were skimmed to lower the compression.

So my tuner said

1.) Pistons have been skimmed so they would be weaker and not as strong

2.) Ill really be limiting myself on how much boost i can run. He reckons i could only be running 12psi and some other places ive read is maybe 15psi but thats really pushing it. So unless ive got a decent top end and turbo etc 12psi is kinda nothing and am looking for at least 200bhp

Of course if the conversion was done with the proper pistons i.e forged or low-comp ones etc then it would've been another story but that all just adds and prices up if it was like. So you cant really say that was a quick and cheap solution for any of us tbh.

Am in a situation where my standard 1.6 bottom end has gone, well theres a crack in the block to make matters worse so i cant even rebuild it and dont really wanna go and spend mega bucks for another bottom end.

Am already running beige injectors, stage3 big valve head, t3 turbo and dont really know what to do.

There is a 2.0 zvh bottom end but thats well out of my price range so am gonna just try to find another standard bottom end

Oh forgot to ask

Whats worse using a decompression plate or skimming the pistons??
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Brammer on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:20 am

gonna just try to find another standard bottom end

Oh forgot to ask

Whats worse using a decompression plate or skimming the pistons??

Skimming pistons, it makes a weaker set-up weaker.
Brammer
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Sierra Cosworth

Postby turboben1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:43 am

the pistons on the 1800 are thicker than the 2000 pistons you can skim 1800 pistons but not 2000 pistons i have a 1800 zvh running beiges 195 chip hybrid t3 with 22psi high boost and 11psi day to day driving and that engine has been running for the last 9 months without a hitch
turboben1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby reisskahn on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Yeh i figured out that skimming the pistons would weaken them so you cant run high boost or drive the car hard!!!!

'Tuboben1' have you skimmed your pistons on your 1.8 zvh??? If so by how much and am very very suprised that your running that kind of high boost on standard skimmed pistons.

Are you using a decompression plate by anychance and how often do you run the high boost???

Everyone that i talk or discuss with regarding this conversion doesn't recommend skimming the pistons regardless what boost you wanna run.

I was told that if i really really wanted to go with this setup and for the engine to be safe and reliable i could only run about 10-12psi for daily driving but for that theres still no guarantee.

They all cant be wrong can they :-? :-? :-? :-?

With your beiges, t3, and 195 chip what kind of power are you running @ 11psi has i have a smiliar spec???
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Postby turboben1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:18 pm

pistons are skimmed 3mm with a felpro zvh head gasket no de comp plate high boost is only needed when i feel the need which is basically every morning when late for work only really use 11psi when driving around the town the engine also has a front mount intercooler to keep charge air temps as low as poss

hope this helps
turboben1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby reisskahn on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm

when late for work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

one way to make it on time.

Right okay so what kind of power are you getting at 11 psi and then 22 psi, have you had it rolling roaded???

And what frount mount are you using???

thans
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Postby turboben1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:44 pm

has never been rolling roaded not sure what it is pushing out and it has a grs front mount
turboben1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby reisskahn on Tue May 02, 2006 12:28 am

turboben1 do you have anyidea what kind of compression ratio you are running with the pistons skimmed 3mm???

And if or when you do get your car rolling roaded pls provide with the power figures

thanks
reisskahn
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.