2ltr zetec performance mods

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

2ltr zetec performance mods

Postby :: blade :: on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:33 am

hi, well next yr i will be converting my Si to a 2ltr, and i was wondering what bhp gains i would get if i add a gas flowed head, vernier pullys, and a piper cam kit, and what you people would recommend on doing to give a little extra BHP.

cheers

:: blade ::
Drives: Generation 6 Toyota Celica GT
:: blade ::
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby adz on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am

dependin on the cam, i think they normally giv a extra 10-15bhp?

im pretty sure thats true of cvh's anyway.

feel free to correct me. and im not sure on the rest im afraid :(

not sure that the pulley does anything else than make it perform/run better?
adz
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sphinx on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:47 am

Technically, and I might be being anal here, but you shouldn’t need vernier pulleys. If you’re getting them because the piper cams wont time up properly with the ford pulleys then that’s a bit of a con. The piper cams should be cut properly to enable the timing to be set up with the standard ford pulleys, imo their only made to need vernier pulleys to force you to buy more than you should really need. Just my 2 pence.
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Your best bet it throttle bodies and aftermarket management. that way any further mods can be maximised instead of hindered by the standard inlet and mapping

sphinx :Technically, and I might be being anal here, but you shouldn’t need vernier pulleys. If you’re getting them because the piper cams wont time up properly with the ford pulleys then that’s a bit of a con. The piper cams should be cut properly to enable the timing to be set up with the standard ford pulleys, imo their only made to need vernier pulleys to force you to buy more than you should really need. Just my 2 pence.

Technically there is benifits from changing the cam timing, and jumping a tooth on the belt isnt a good way of doing it, agree with you centerment though as would have thought 90% use standard timing
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Sphinx on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:13 pm

I know there are benefits from changing the timing but like you say, 90% of them use standard timing anyway. I just think that it's sometimes a bit of a con that you have to buy adjustable verniers too becuase technically the cams havent been cut correctly to allow the standard pullys to be used.
Also, I dont know how much of a difference it makes, but going from steel to alloy pullys (softer metal) seems a bit backwards. The advantage of a lower rotating mass seems minute, but i'm not sure if they advertise that as a selling point.
You can use my car when you prise the keys out of my cold dead hands
Sphinx
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jammy86 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:24 pm

softer doesnt mean weaker (clicky), but i do agree.

Lowering the rotating mass can help a good bit, but i'm not sure how much they are lowered by. I think a standard camshaft system uses about 3kw to run at full load.

I think they go for the Aluminium cause it can be anodized to make pretty colours.

JAmes
jammy86
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: KaRST

Postby jammy86 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:30 pm

softer doesnt mean weaker (clicky), but i do agree.

Lowering the rotating mass can help a good bit, but i'm not sure how much they are lowered by. I think a standard camshaft system uses about 3kw to run at full load.

I think they go for the Aluminium cause it can be anodized to make pretty colours.

JAmes
jammy86
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: KaRST

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.