a bit of help with changing an engine

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

a bit of help with changing an engine

Postby Matty 2004 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:04 pm

i am going to be changing my engine in a few months
i hav got a 1.1 HCS carburettor at the moment and i
am thinking of getting a 1.4 CVH CFi fuel injection.
what will i need to change on it. they have both got
carburettors so i dont think i will have to wire it up.
i will need to get the front breaks too. what else would
i need? i am keeping my front shocks on as thy are.

ps. also, how much do they usually go for? price wise?

cheers matty :)
Fiesta For Sale - £500ono - Click here --->>http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125542
Matty 2004
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby adamburzynski on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:18 pm

cfi means central fuel injection. u will need the wiring loom and ecu for the 1.4 engine u are putting in, as it isn't just a carb, cfi is like a carb with an injector in it.
adamburzynski
Poster
Poster

Postby MotorcyclesFish on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:28 pm

CFi is injection, i.e. high pressure injection. I've no idea if it's mechanical or ECU controlled.

Either way it will involve an injection fuel tank, fuel sender, fuel lines and pressure regulator.
MotorcyclesFish
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 2004 Z4 3.0i SE

Car: 1984 Ford Capri

Postby Pez on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:30 pm

To be honest, you'd be best off hanging about, and picking up a cheap tatty XR2i and transfering over the complete package from that. The 1.4 wont be muh of an andvance in power, and the CFi system isnt particularly brilliant. Being fuel injection you'll need to install the fuel tank from the donor car also. I would personally say it's a fair bit of work for not much gain. Go for a 1.6, or even better, a Zetec, and you'll be laughing.
Pez
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fiesta-Iced-Edition on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm thinking about the same thing. But from 1.1 carb to 1.6 16v zetec. But, loads of people tell me different things.

For instance, one guy says i'll need everthing inc. Radiator, Brakes, Fuel pipes & tank, Gearbox n driveshafts, Suspension, ECU, The whole wiring loom, Exhaust system.
Which is all some kinda joke, cause that would cost at least 1k to get fitted.
Oh and this same guy asked me if the engine is heavy. So, i'm thinkin he's escaped from the Village cause he's gotta be an idiot.

Then there's this other guy who fits turbo engines into 1.1's, says bull**** all's you need is the rad, ecu, zaust, n few other bits, and he's offered me an 1.6 16v Si zetec engine fitted for 500quid. Btw he says you only have to change the engine wiring loom.

What do you think?

And hope this helps with the orginal post to the guy who posted it:)
Fiesta-Iced-Edition
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Smo on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Fiesta-Iced-Edition :I'm thinking about the same thing. But from 1.1 carb to 1.6 16v zetec. But, loads of people tell me different things.

For instance, one guy says i'll need everthing inc. Radiator, Brakes, Fuel pipes & tank, Gearbox n driveshafts, Suspension, ECU, The whole wiring loom, Exhaust system.
Which is all some kinda joke, cause that would cost at least 1k to get fitted.
Oh and this same guy asked me if the engine is heavy. So, i'm thinkin he's escaped from the Village cause he's gotta be an idiot.

Then there's this other guy who fits turbo engines into 1.1's, says bull**** all's you need is the rad, ecu, zaust, n few other bits, and he's offered me an 1.6 16v Si zetec engine fitted for 500quid. Btw he says you only have to change the engine wiring loom.

What do you think?

And hope this helps with the orginal post to the guy who posted it:)

The first guy was pretty much right/more sensible.

The second one is less likely to get your car working with the bit he says you need.

You will need the car loom, engine loom, ecu, rad, fuel tank (as it has an in-tank pump), guess the lines too?, exhaust system, etc... Basically everything from a 1.6 Si.

You carb'd 1.1 won't have any of the loom needed for the ECU to work let alone plug in. It has none of the wires for the fuel pump as the 1.1 uses a mechanical fuel pump. Your fuse box has none of the connections for the relays also needed for injection stuff.

The suspension and brakes are pretty much a damn good idea. I've had my 1.1 brakes (solid discs) fade on me with just a 1.1 engine in it. The 1.6 Si will have vented discs, and are the least you want to be running. The suspension is stiffer and not only will it make the car handle better, but ideal for the heavier engine that the Zetec lump is.

Driveshafts, gearbox etc, all a good idea too (stronger, longer ratios)...

Also, you can pick up a rotten Si for less than £500 and probably transfer most of the stuff over.

That was just a rough answer, but this site is FULL of information if you search for it and browse through the Guides forum. Go have a good read :)
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby Matty 2004 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:04 am

well i am thinking of getting a 1.4 carb engine, because of
insurace reasons. but i have been told i have got to get the
wires for the engine, but it will plug straight into the wires
from inside the car. so i wiont have to rewire all the wires
inside the car.
will i have to change the driveshaft?
will i have to change the exsort, or will it fit on a 1.4 manifold?
will i have to change the radiator?
is ther anything else i need to change?
1.4 dosent look much difference to my 1.1

chers matty
Fiesta For Sale - £500ono - Click here --->>http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125542
Matty 2004
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Matty 2004 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:14 am

anyone???????
Matty 2004
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fiesta-Iced-Edition on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 am

Matty,

I've been told to get an XR2i 1.6 on Carbs. All i need will be the Radiator, Pipes, Gearbox & Driveshafts. No wiring necessary.

If this is right, correct me if i'm wrong, but this would be the best method for our 1.1 carb's.

Anyone know if i am right on this one?

P.s. I am going to the salvage yard today to look for one anyways...TBContinued
Fiesta-Iced-Edition
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Fiesta-Iced-Edition on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am

Just been checkin your car Matty, You've come along way pal. LOL. From one idea to another. You've done well though. Looks mint now (I hated the bonnet scoop). But, you mean to tell me you've only got a 1.1 under the hood. Because that's just scary!
Fiesta-Iced-Edition
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby HCS PIMP on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:38 am

Hey man u want to know the simplest thing
take the intake manifold and carb of the 1.1
and put on the donor engine s
hould mean you can keep the swap simple
I had my 1.1 HCS blow up on the motorway
when the piston decided to drive through the cylinder block
and leave great bloddy hole
I just sawpping the 1.1 for a 1.1 and
im gonna add a kent cams kit which should add 30 bhp
http://www.larkspeed.com cost £155 for cams kit
and new engine are about £110 - 160 for 1.1

End of the day what u do to ur car is up to you
it isnt too complicated just read the haynes b4 hand
and get a m8 to help with lifting out the engine
2.1 Went BANGGGGG now a Ghia 1800
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.