advice on new brakes

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

advice on new brakes

Postby djtom69 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:50 pm

hey guys im looking to uprade my front and rear brakes (disc all round), just wondered if anyone could give us a quick list of what to look out for as i dont know what other model brake will fit on my mk4, im wanting to put bigger brakes on front that will fit nicely in my 15's and anything for rear as the drums are pants. Any advice would be great cheers.
The Old
The New
djtom69
Poster
Poster

Postby KEVFRST on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:08 pm

a lovely upgrade to cosworth size for your 15s will be fine. 4wd calipers with 2wd disc. rear set up from a focus or rs2000 will be fine.
KEVFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:28 am

Cosworth 4x4 front will pretty much be up to anything you can throw at them. Backs I would strip down and rebuild as standard as they are quite up to the job at hand. If you really must have discs on the back as above Focus or RS2k conversion.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby djtom69 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:58 pm

i defo want discs on back, drums are pants, ive put new pads in and ground the drums to take the edge off and roughed em up, self adjusters are useless. disc seem to be the best option as im planning on keeping the car for a while.

dont you have to get a pressure regulator for rear when you convert to disc's so that its not braking with the same pressure as the front???
The Old
The New
djtom69
Poster
Poster

Postby Oranoco on Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:24 pm

The drums are far from pants if properly maintaned. My mate still has stock FRST drums (all be it with a complete strip overhaul and reassembly) on the back of his 400bhp Zetec Turbo monster. If they can cope with stopping that you'll be fine

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby filtra on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

djtom69 :i defo want discs on back, drums are pants, ive put new pads in and ground the drums to take the edge off and roughed em up, self adjusters are useless. disc seem to be the best option as im planning on keeping the car for a while.

dont you have to get a pressure regulator for rear when you convert to disc's so that its not braking with the same pressure as the front???

Yeah you will need a brake bias valve and i'd get the brakes properly tuned rather than trial and error on private land. Having said that unless your using the car as a track toy going rear disc probably isn't worth it.

Im running standard setup on my standard FRST and bearing in mind how much people slate the ABS and 'pants' brakes, they arn't that bad! Stick with the bigger stoppers up front if anything.
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.