Air box or not??

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Paul R on Mon May 07, 2001 6:57 pm

After having my Fiesta Turbo for about two years now I got tired of the dump valve sound so i took it off, and now i'm bored of the fluttering sound i get through my K&N cone filter, so i'm thinking of putting my airbox back on. I've seen a few posts concerning airbox (with K&N panel) vs Cone filter's, is there any bhp gain from either type of filter?, I'm running around 16psi at the moment so will I still get any fluttering sound even if quiet?? Also would the airbox stop hot air from the engine bay from getting in the filter??
Answer's on a post card please!!!
Paul R
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Paul Taylor on Mon May 07, 2001 11:05 pm

Paul,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you as of yet but I'm in the same boat! I removed my dump valve and I found the fluttering through the K&N Cone Filter personally sounds nasty. I have now removed that and refitted the original airbox with the original element. Unfortunately while in the process I noticed a couple of worn pipes so my FRST in now off the road for a couple of days, hopefully! I will let you know what it sounds like once it's up and running!

From previous experiances though I remember the car feeling less responsive & quieter due to no induction roar/less noise from the turbo spinning!!!!!
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby Paul Taylor on Wed May 09, 2001 8:33 pm

Paul,

I'm now running my FRST without the D/V and with the Original Airbox and It's really quiet but you can still hear a slight fluttering from the air filter. I think I'm going to put the D/V back on since I can't stand that fluttering noise! I'm also currently having a total nitemare with the boost pressure so I dunno what the hells going on!!!!!!!
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby JJ on Wed May 09, 2001 10:51 pm

I run the std airbox on mine, with a std Ford air filter, as recommended to me by Ahmed. No DVs, no K&N :grin: What I did was to drill a series of holes in the bottom of the air box (25mm diameter) to allow more cold air in. It is only slightly noiser and you can feel the improvements!!
JJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby The Bruster on Wed May 09, 2001 11:30 pm

Erm, duno if its possible on a fysta, but on my Soarer the dump valve recirculates into the exhaust, so the exhaust pops/hisses when it *ahem* blows off.
The Bruster
'80s Suprastar
'80s Suprastar

Postby Gaz7 on Thu May 10, 2001 9:16 pm

i have a standard airbox and paper filter, which i renew nice and regulary. Just as Mr. Ford intended! :smile:
Gaz7
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Gaz7 on Thu May 10, 2001 9:17 pm

And as its only a couple of quid a time for a filter with my discount, it works out cheaper than the cleaning fluid for K&N's by a fair way!
Gaz7
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Paul Taylor on Fri May 11, 2001 11:29 am

JJ,

But does'nt drilling holes in the bottom of the air box just increase the amount of HOT air into the engine???
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby JJ on Fri May 11, 2001 12:20 pm

Errr, no, cuz the bottom of the air box vents into the inner wing and not into the engine bay. I also added some holes in the side of the box, facing into the outer wing. I could go mad and add an air feed from the front of the car to the bottom of the box, but there's already a nice little port on the front of the OE box anyway :grin:
JJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Paul Taylor on Fri May 11, 2001 9:53 pm

JJ,

Out of intrest how many 25mm holes did you drill in the bottom and side? Do you find that you can hear the turbo more now and that it is more responsive?

I found that when I had the K&N 57i on mine that it made the turbo sound alot louder and that it wound up quicker than with the OE Air Box set up? Maybe I need to do the same as you.
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby JJ on Fri May 11, 2001 11:46 pm

About 6 in the bottom, 2 in one side. I found gains at the mid/top end (speculative, but it feels more responsive) and a friend modded his Fiat Coupe 20V turbo in much the same way and saw genuine gains on the rolling road. I've tried cone filters, K&N panel filters and the std box/filter is no less responsive :grin:
JJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Paul Taylor on Sat May 12, 2001 4:54 pm

JJ,

Do u have a Dump Valve? If so which one and what differance do u find it makes apart from the sound?
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby JJ on Sat May 12, 2001 10:21 pm

Dump Valve?!! *LOEL* Errrr, would you like the polite answer?!!.............no :grin:
JJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Paul Taylor on Sun May 13, 2001 11:18 pm

Rite then, I mite try drilling some holes in the bottom of my airbox keeping the original panel filter aswell. I've heard that the uprated panel filters are a waste of time?

At the moment I still think that my cone filter was more responsive than the original air box/filter.
Paul Taylor
aka 'The Gachet'
aka 'The Gachet'

Postby JJ on Mon May 14, 2001 12:52 pm

The mods on mine certainly seem to have enhanced the breathing at the top end, which works superbly with Ahmed's cam - the car really pulls hard from 4000rpm onwards. I gave the mota a good thrashing recently, and it's certainly much more responsive, pulling the limiter very quickly and cleanly....in 5th!! (on a track, of course :grin: ).
JJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.