Amal Valve Boost Control

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Amal Valve Boost Control

Postby StreetDragster on Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:48 am

Hi Everyone,

What does the Amal valve on a FRST look like? I'm trying to see if i have one as i have been told that i can use it to make a two stage boost controller, but i have also been told that a few people remove them.

Anyone know how i wire it up to do this off a toggle switch?

Thanks in advance

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xrsi on Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:29 am

the amal valve is useually on the drivers side if you have a t2 turbo.... its a round thing with a multiplug and a vacume sort of hose on it! has two locating brackets at right angles to the body of it as well....

useually it wil be somewhere ilke conected to the airbox or such like!

you CANNOT use an frst amal valve for 2 stage boost... u need an erst one!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby StreetDragster on Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:10 am

Great info!

Don't suppose you know how to make one from a ERST amal valve do you?

Thanks

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sunil_FiestaRS_16V on Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:10 pm

is not bad to turn up the boost via the amal valve as the fueling wont be right for the set boost??
Sunil_FiestaRS_16V
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Slough. 2.0 with Raceline head, Raceline cams, T.E Exhaust manifold, and more...

Postby Excursion on Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:46 pm

Sunil_FiestaRS_16V :is not bad to turn up the boost via the amal valve as the fueling wont be right for the set boost??

If you use the Amal for 2 stage boost, then the highest setting will still only be the max boost you are seeing now. The second stage will be actuator boost which will be around half :)
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby StreetDragster on Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:01 pm

Right, so the amal valve becomes a sort of electronic bleed valve/boost solenoid?? If the boost level is set on the actuator, then i assume there is no point trying to use an amal valve as a two stage boost controller?
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sparky on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:40 am

You can use the FRST amal valve as a 2 stage boost controller but as standard the amal valve only bleeds off around 3 psi so without internal modification (and I don't know what this involves) the adjustment between high and low will only be around 3psi.

To wire it up you need one wire to ground and the other wire to your switch which will switch on an ignition live. When your switch is on, it will hold open the valve, bleeding the pressure and giving you the high boost setting.

Always get your car set up on the high boost setting.

Switching off will close the valve and boost will be controlled solely by the actuator. Low boost setting.

As standard the actuator on a FRST is set to only aroung 4psi and the 7psi boost is maintained by the amal valve.

I am currently switching between 6 and 9psi, its just a bit of a gimmick really 'cos I never use low boost.
:)
Sparky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby StreetDragster on Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:30 pm

Cool, thanks very much thats a great help!!

Thanks again

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby GavStyli on Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:42 pm

Sparky :You can use the FRST amal valve as a 2 stage boost controller but as standard the amal valve only bleeds off around 3 psi so without internal modification (and I don't know what this involves) the adjustment between high and low will only be around 3psi.

To wire it up you need one wire to ground and the other wire to your switch which will switch on an ignition live. When your switch is on, it will hold open the valve, bleeding the pressure and giving you the high boost setting.

Always get your car set up on the high boost setting.

Switching off will close the valve and boost will be controlled solely by the actuator. Low boost setting.

As standard the actuator on a FRST is set to only aroung 4psi and the 7psi boost is maintained by the amal valve.

I am currently switching between 6 and 9psi, its just a bit of a gimmick really 'cos I never use low boost.
:)

how exactly could i do this, would come in usefull when i leave the car at mechanics :)
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Sparky on Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:54 pm

Pretty straightforward and as described above.

If using it as a kind of Valet system you could substitute the toggle switch for an electrical key switch that would require a key to switch on and off :wink:
Sparky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby StreetDragster on Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:57 am

Now thats a good idea!

Thanks

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:54 pm

I myself have the switching amal valve too..

but i just use the following method (without loosing the overboost protecting principal of the amal valve)

just cut one of the wire's .. (the one with the 12V on it)

wire it up to the inside
place a switch (of a rear-fog light for instance)
wire up the switch with the incomming wire..

put the wire that comes of the other end of the switch back again into the engine bay.. and to the amal valve..

now hook up the 2 wires to the cut wire..

You now have a 2 stage boost control, with light (high boost) or no light (low boost)

You can even make it a 3 stage boost control or even more ...

All you have to do is take another amal valve.. and a T piece and some tubing.. for every extra stage you want..

put the t-piece in between the T piece that is already there and the amal valve..

use some tubing to connect the (right side of the) amal valve to the tubing..

electrical connection of the 2nd amal valve.. just use gnd on the one side.. and a switched 12V + on the other..

and there you have it.. 2 switches.. and 3 stages..
0 switches .. run low boost.. (4psi)
1 switch .. run middle boost (7psi)
2 switches.. run high boost (10psi)

Contact you local electronics shop .. the might have a selector switch .. and if you are handy enough (using some electronics/relays).. you kan make a boostcontroller using this pricipal with just using a selector switch (like a in-car boost dial.. with 3 or more positions..
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby BUTRE on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:19 pm

something does not sound right...

you have your FRST fuel setup for 16PSI of boost for example, and you guys are geting down on boost? This way you're getting way to rich mixture.

or you're doing the other way around? fuel is setup for 8psi (std pressure I think) and you getting the boost up to 16PSI? getting a lean mixture... too hot combustion, overheat and engine meltdown.

I'm not in love for "in car" boost switches, unless they setup both injection and boost pressure for diferent "stages".
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby StreetDragster on Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:08 pm

Thought the fuel pressure was raised by the Fuel Pressure Regulator, which uses manifold pressure as a reference. therefore if you are set up for 16psi, and only run 8psi, the mixture stays the same, please correct me if i'm wrong

Thanks

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby BUTRE on Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:08 am

I think the best way is to setup the fuel pressure to the highest boost you're going to run. Then boost down the turbo... but by doing this you will have the too rich mix.
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Jur on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:37 am

so .. long live the flame-thrower :-p
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby BUTRE on Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:56 pm

eheh.. :)

seeing black smoke coming from exhaust pipes... too much unburned fuel going to waste. :(
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Sparky on Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:44 am

Boost Pressure is sensed by the MAP sensor and the correct amount of fuel added. As long as the car has been set up for the maximum you will run, all stages in between are catered for.

In a standard car, when pootling around off-boost the engine is not running too rich.
Sparky
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby BUTRE on Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:08 pm

hum...

Has I know, MAP sensor is for the ignition advance and retard, not fuel. Dont know if it has other kind of use on the FRST.

FRST doest not have lambda sensor, so no reading of the oxygen on the exhaust... there is no way of the ecu knowing if the mix is rich or lean. Even if it had a lambda sensor, only till a certain rpm would be able to read the mix (somewhere up to 4000rpm).
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby voorhas on Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:11 pm

On a general basis, a MAP is a sensor that transforms manifold pressure into a voltage reading... you can use the info it gathers for anything, really... including setting the air/fuel mix.

Goncalo D.
voorhas
Poster
Poster

Postby saqmaster on Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:39 pm

The fuelling map on the car is boost vs. engine speed.. boost is read by the MAP sensor :) The ignition map in the ecu also used the MAP sensor.. boost vs. engine speed.. as well as throttle angle, water temps, charge temps, many things.. you wouldnt believe how many maps are in eec-iv!

Oxygen (lambda) sensors are only used for part throttle anyway, for emissions.. Their limit is nothing to do with revs.. narrow band sensors are just switches anyway, they switch high or low depending on whether or not they below or above stoichometric..

I think that answers the questions...
saqmaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: Focus ST

Postby Ben RS Turbo on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:41 pm

If I understand, the map sensor give information about the turbo pressure, and this information are used in order to correct fuel injection...

so what the role of the amal valve???? I think it cut injection if boost pressure is too hight.
My version of chip (165BHP) run as if the amal valve isn't here....

can you explain me.....now I can unplug my amal valve without change for my car :-? :-? :-?
French fiesta RST on board.....Terrific English detected!!!!
Ben RS Turbo
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby BUTRE on Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:38 pm

If I'm not wrong, the amal valve its a solenoid valve that bleeds the boost away from the actuator.

Maybee the 165 chip ignores the amal valve not using it.
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.