Annoying Front Wheel Camber...anyone with definitive answer?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Annoying Front Wheel Camber...anyone with definitive answer?

Postby CarismaDave on Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:31 pm

All,

As I'm sure you know I had 17's on my FRST and as I'm now replacing the wheels I want to make sure that the camber is sorted before I put my new ones on so I don't go through tyres needlessly.

The thing is that trying to get a definitve answer as to how to sort it always seems a complete ar$e! As far as I 'understand' the spindle carriers (i.e. what the CV joint, lower arm, suspension and track rod goes into) are all the same on all the models of Mk.3 fez including FRST. I think I remember someone saying that on a FRST the lower arms are different i.e. slightly longer? I can't believe that it's tracking alone that are leaning the rims in so much. Anyone got any ideas? As far as I know the running gear on my Fez was probably XR2i as the donor was an XR2i with RS engine so I'm really confused...unless he changed the lower arms to RS ones...thus giving the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated :D

Dave
Area 6 355bhp monster!
CarismaDave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 285Andy on Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:01 pm

my tyres ran bald on the inside edge just before the tyre became illegal on overall tread depth.
you got LSD Dave? (not drugs! :lol: ) not that im pointing the finger at that

PPL, f*****g over music listners since 1934
285Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: fiesta rs turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby PF Dave on Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:20 pm

It wont be the LSD.

If its decked that in it self changes your suspension geometry and the lower you go to a degree the more negative camber you get (good for racing not so good for tyre life)

Why not get some adjustable bottom arms amde up so you set everything exactly how you want it suspension wise then adjust it so you have clearance a bit of camber but not too much then lock it all off?
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby CarismaDave on Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:38 pm

I do have an LSD...well actually an ATB but as said I'm not sure that is the problem.

I am going to get myself some lower adjustable arms but I was under the impression that that alone wasn't the problem? Perhaps it's a comb of that, lowering and tracking. It's just really annoying and I go through tyres in 1.5k miles!!

Dave :D
Area 6 355bhp monster!
CarismaDave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby snake on Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:58 am

lol tis normal cos it puts the camber at stoopid angle, i`ve got a set of i.howell lower arms, but need to run the car to see what they are like, if its just to hard i`m probably just gonna make my own up with uprated bushes or ford bushes possibly, sommat i`ve gotta look into yet..
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby MadcatCraig on Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:28 pm

mine too go bald on the inside !

the lower arms stick further out

the arms on the steerign rack are also longer on the FRST and the lock to lock is shorter.

when u fit bigger wheels and lower it this is wot happens ! also kills wheel bearings quicker as ive found out !

i replaced my 1.1 hubs lower arms and steering rack with FRST items and apart form wheels ou a bit further and steering better have noticed no difference !
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby Jur on Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:57 pm

wanted to change the front subframe including lower arms, shocks, springs, hubs etc of a (UK) FRST to my (European) fiesta 1.8i S.

Put the things on, put the wheels on.. send it back to earth .. and....

It looked like it could't stand on it's feet .. the camber was WAY off..

Put back the standard lower arms .. and there was no problem ..

btw.. the FRST lower arms can be identified by 3 bolts in stead of 2 rivets at the wheel side.

Still my question remains.. WHY does a FRST stand straight.. and with the same subframe, hubs, shocks, lower arms etc.. the fiesta 1.8i S (same setup as the XR2i) doesn't do!!! ????
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Project on Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:17 pm

Did u change the rack?

The FRST lower arms are a little longer in order to make the front track 20mm wider. Unfortunately, Ford did this the easy way by extending the lower arms with the end result that, although the FRST has excellent grip in corners, it handles straight lines and tyre wear with a little less grace.

The Fiesta Zetec (esp Mk3 and Mk3.5 RS1800) suspension set-up seems to be the best compromise of handling qualities.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Jur on Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:41 pm

What part is that ??
/me is Dutch .. althoug my tech English is not bad.. i don't know what you mean by this..
Project ST2000 :Did u change the rack?

*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby zetec69 on Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:46 pm

There's a pair of adjustable camber bolts available now. Not sure who makes them tho and if they're any good-saw them in one of the mags. Anyone shed any light on this?
LoW MoToR
zetec69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby CarismaDave on Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:58 pm

The steering rack I have is from the 1.1 thus I guess that it is the lower arms that he changed....if I got lower adjustables based on an XR2i this should sort it?! I'm only after good tyre wear and straight lines!! Don't think I'll be too keen on cornering too much with the power of this new engine!

Dave :D
Area 6 355bhp monster!
CarismaDave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Project on Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:46 pm

Jur - the steering rack :)

Dave - I mentioned rack as you have to retrack the car after changing the lower arms. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious :) Might it be worth trying RS1800 lower arms instead?
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby M Brian on Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:27 pm

using 16v xr2i arms with xr2i 8v ball joints brings the camber back in.

but you have to shorten the rack slightly or the wheels toe in too far (cut about 5mm off the ends)

this set up felt quite good on my xr2i 16v - but i have since changed to the ford spec parts for the xr2i/rs1800 with three bolt fixings.

there are three/four types to my knowledge
xr2i 16v arms - 2 pin ball joints - the ball joint angles to the rear of the car
xr2i 8v arms - 2 pin ball joints - the ball joint is straight and doesn't angle
xr2i/16v/si/RS? - 3 pin ball joints - the 3 pins are angled backwards like the 2i 16v arms - but maybe not as much as orginal ones.
and there maybe a std fiesta type - but i think these may be the same as xr2i 8v ones.

HTHs
MELV
Still needs a new sig!!
1.6CVH EFI mk2 turbo (not running needs new front panel)
1.8 16v Focus Turbo! ;) (Leaking oil and doing 1300 miles a week!)
and Honda CBR600 (loving the revlimiter)
M Brian
Post Master
Post Master

Postby volvia99 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:04 pm

H&R sells some kind of adjusters to set your camber to the right angle. Check out their european site for more information.
volvia99
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby zetec69 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:19 pm

That's what I was on about above. Thought it might be H & R that made 'em!
LoW MoToR
zetec69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby cubby240 on Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:07 am

Ask Keith from Performance Ford about his new adjustable lower arms :wink:

They are the way forward for sure.
cubby240
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PF Dave on Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:18 pm

either that or eccentric top mounts like I am doing! :Q
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Project on Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:25 pm

Eccentric top mounts would be an awful lot easier to work with since you could adjust the camber with the weight on the roadwheels, but they would on ly have limited adjustability.

Hmmm.... interesting.
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby CarismaDave on Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:20 pm

Choices choices but what to do!!!! Just found my new steering wheel tho...hmmm nice :D

Dave
Area 6 355bhp monster!
CarismaDave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.