[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Best Conversion to do ??? : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Best Conversion to do ???

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Best Conversion to do ???

Postby Gazz on Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:08 pm

What should I go for ?

1.6 CVH RS Turbo ???
Or
2.0 16v Lump probably from a Mondeo ???

This is going into a bog standard 5 door Fiesta with nothing changed on it. Have heard the RST is better cos it is more tunable however the have a lot of miles clocked up on them now. While the 2L has less miles and is more reliable, however it is cost a lot more to do the conversion. Decisions, decisons. Need you lot to help me out with it.
Gazz
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:02 pm

Should cost £500 to upgrade to a 2.0L Mondeo engine. See mmogenius on this site or AdrianFRST. That includes the engine and fitted and is a better conversion than the turbo engine if it's stealth you are looking for

Turbo engines are good at giving away their presence with wastegate chatter.

Plus the insurance group will be 9 like a 2.0 Mondeo instead of 15 like a Fiesta RS Turbo!
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Gazz on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:17 pm

£500 to do the conversion ??? I got a quote of 1200 to put in the RST engine which is apparently a straight swap. And the guy said it was harder to fit the 2L lump in so he would need to do more (meaning more £££s out of pocket I would be).
Gazz
Poster
Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:40 pm

Stoned :Should cost £500 to upgrade to a 2.0L Mondeo engine. See mmogenius on this site or AdrianFRST.

Woaahh! Slow down.

Not if it's a base model as that requires a lot more work - dropping the tank to fit the EFI pump, replacing the fuel lines, whole wiring looms etc.

£500 is the price to upgrade a 1.6 Zetec Si to a 2.0 using a cheap engine.

The noise made by a turbo with no dump valve between gearchanges is compressor surge, not wastegate chatter btw.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby Gazz on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:44 pm

So your the guy with the 2.0 Fiesta then ^^^ ? It is a 1.1 Basic Model Fiesta, dont know what work will be needed for a 2L but it will cost more than £1200 anyway, so that is why I was looking to put in a 1.6 RST instead.

But I am not 100% certain yet. Money is no option (within reason) but I am looking for the best conversion to do. What; in your opinion should I do ? os I dont want to jump in with 2 feet here and be left with something which I am not happy with.
Gazz
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Ooops my bad, I always think of Si's when 5 doors are mentioned.

Still gotta appreicate all the work I try and throw your way :lol:
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:18 pm

Ok, first of all if it's a modified five door it's going to be nigh-on impossible to sell on, so if you're looking for a project car to really take seriously I'd sell it and get a 3 door.

If, for some peverse reason, you really want to keep it, be aware that the more you do to it, the more likely you are that you'll end up having to break it to get any of your money back.

Both engines require about the same amount of work and cost around the same. To give you an example we're doing a CVH XR2i engine into a 1.1 at the moment (nearly 3 times the power and standard looks - should be fun ;)) This is what needs changing:

Engine
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Lower "S" brace
Engine mounts
Engine loom
ECU
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Radiator
All coolant hoses
Clocks
Modification or replacement of in-car loom (we're doing a complete swap to get the electric windows, boot release etc.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby PaulC on Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:21 pm

AdrianFRST :into a 1.1

I wish it was :lol:

Alot of work goes into a conversion if its different engine/system. From a carb to a injected means even new fuel lines because they are a different size.
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:57 am

stealth on a FRST engine

- Wastegate chatter..-> place a DV that blows off internally (Sierra cosworth)
- keep a standard airfilter or an inlay

Both conversions need upgrading of fuelpump, gearbox etc..

if from economical point of view.. get the Mondy engine.. cause it run's cheaper .(less maintainance) and has nearly the same miles/galon and the same BHP ..

disadvantage of the mondy engine.. it's not a turbo .. so less lb/ft .. and harder to tune.. (more money needed)
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby danfezSi on Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:55 pm

pricey

go full wack and spend £5000 on a 2.0l turbo conversion

go on u know u wanter :o
danfezSi
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Al on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:17 pm

AdrianFRST :£500 is the price to upgrade a 1.6 Zetec Si to a 2.0 using a cheap engine.

is this a similar/the same price for a 1.8 Zetec XR2i?
Al
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MaXsteri on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:31 pm

Big Al :
AdrianFRST :£500 is the price to upgrade a 1.6 Zetec Si to a 2.0 using a cheap engine.

is this a similar/the same price for a 1.8 Zetec XR2i?

Yes
MaXsteri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 1600power on Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:54 am

AdrianFRST :
Engine
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Lower "S" brace
Engine mounts
Engine loom
ECU
Fuel pump
Fuel lines
Radiator
All coolant hoses
Clocks
Modification or replacement of in-car loom (we're doing a complete swap to get the electric windows, boot release etc.

Honestly what is the point of doing all that work? I mean it will cost you a shedload to do, cause ur clearly going to need a donor car, plus the man power to get it all done, and to be honest how many peeps here with 1.1's no anything about doing the above themselves?

I have to agree with Ian on this one I dont understand why people do all of this work to a standard 5-door which is never going to be worth the same money when compared to the equivalent 3 door!

Just save your money and get a 1.6si and if after that you want to do the conversion still, save yourself a s**t of hassle and just swap the engine over!
now sold but not forgotten! :(
1600power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PaulC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:08 am

1600power :Honestly what is the point of doing all that work?

One reason is the insurance, I am paying £1000 a year for a 1.0 with a 1.6 engine now in it (with free visual mods). For the car it came out of, I have been quoted just over £8000. :o
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:10 am

1600power :Honestly what is the point of doing all that work?

Makes the car faster, teaches you a hell of a lot about how it all fits together and works, and beats sitting in front of a computer screen all weekend.

1600power :I mean it will cost you a shedload to do, cause ur clearly going to need a donor car, plus the man power to get it all done

£200 for the donor car, £50 for new oil, filters, cambelt etc. If you're clever you can make your money back + profit from breaking the donor car.

Can be done in a weekend if you have all the bits and tools ready.

1600power :to be honest how many peeps here with 1.1's no anything about doing the above themselves?

Only one way to learn! Do it!

1600power :I have to agree with Ian on this one I dont understand why people do all of this work to a standard 5-door which is never going to be worth the same money when compared to the equivalent 3 door!

5 door, total waste of time. No-one will buy it it. 3 door, it's worth it.

1600power :Just save your money and get a 1.6si and if after that you want to do the conversion still, save yourself a poo of hassle and just swap the engine over!

Si will cost a grand at least, this was:

Base car £200
Conversion £200

It's a learning experience more than anything else really.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby MaXsteri on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:18 am

1600power :I dont understand why people do all of this work to a standard 5-door which is never going to be worth the same money when compared to the equivalent 3 door

Resale value of an old Fiesta is jack s**t anyway, most ppl are planning on keeping the car for quite a while after the conversion, so will be even less when they get round to selling so frankly it makes little difference.

Going through the 1.1 route is more expensive, but then everything will be new anyway so should (you would hope) last longer. And anyways once its all in and running its fully transferable in like a weekend if they change their mind and want a 3dr. How many times does this need to be discussed?
MaXsteri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Superal on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:18 am

AdrianFRST :
1600power :I have to agree with Ian on this one I dont understand why people do all of this work to a standard 5-door which is never going to be worth the same money when compared to the equivalent 3 door!

5 door, total waste of time. No-one will buy it it. 3 door, it's worth it.

does that go for all mods to a 5door?
Superal
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MaXsteri on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:21 am

To some ppl, Apparently Yes
MaXsteri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Superal on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:52 am

MaXsteri :To some ppl, Apparently Yes

:rolleyes:
Superal
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:23 pm

Look how long elm's car has been for sale, compared to similarly modded 3 doors.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Postby TrekkieFRST on Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:33 pm

1600power :to be honest how many peeps here with 1.1's no anything about doing the above themselves?

err I'm doing this...

1.1 MK3.5 converted to RST :rolleyes:
R.I.P Rob...
"The Teenage Chicks Love The Car"
TrekkieFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Kings Lynn Drives: Honda Prelude Sex Appeal: 52.30% Loves: Stuff!!!

Postby PaulC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:55 pm

If you have a donor car thats the same shell, its easy. Take it out, and put it all back in the correct places. All you need to do that is a haynes manual, some tools and some time.
PaulC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.