Bluefin by Superchips

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Bluefin by Superchips

Postby chris-fiesta on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 pm

been looking into this for a while now and have just looked at a dyno reading for a 1.8tdi focus and bluefin had supposidly given it a 33bhp increase...

been thinking of gettin one for when the 2.0ls in but just wanned to know peoples opinions on this or if theyve used it before, and can it be used more then just once?

cheers

chris
chris-fiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Guy Mk4 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Never used one, but as far as I know, they can be used more than once on your own car, I don't think they are transferable to another motor, as when you load up the Bluefin data to the ECU, it stores the original Ford data in it's memory.....so when it comes to sell up, you can just bung the old Ford ECU program back on, as factory.
Guy Mk4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Bluefin by Superchips

Postby filtra on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:31 pm

chris-fiesta :been looking into this for a while now and have just looked at a dyno reading for a 1.8tdi focus and bluefin had supposidly given it a 33bhp increase...

been thinking of gettin one for when the 2.0ls in but just wanned to know peoples opinions on this or if theyve used it before, and can it be used more then just once?

cheers

chris

I don't think youl see as large gains in a petrol engine particularly if it's n/a. From all the reviews it seems that they are best placed in turbod aplications and turbo diesels more so.
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby mike_wall15 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 pm

I must admit, I didn't think they did bluefin for the old fiesta's, they used chips for that....
I wouldn't pay nearly £300 for one unless I was loaded or had a turbo! :lol:

Mike :)
mike_wall15
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 2002 BMW M3

Postby RS rob on Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:33 pm

your
right mr wall bluefin is for fords 1996 and younger as they have diagnostics port inside the car etc,

the bluefin is useful tho as it can be played with as much as you like and only works on the one car,

our ageing si's dont allow this, the only option from superchips would be the normal chip, when really a remap is the better option as its custom to your car and mods
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Growler on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:09 pm

so adding this to a standard xr2i 8v would do what?
Mint H Plate XR2i in Black
Growler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chris-fiesta on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 pm

bridgend_boy :your
right mr wall bluefin is for fords 1996 and younger as they have diagnostics port inside the car etc,

the bluefin is useful tho as it can be played with as much as you like and only works on the one car,

our ageing si's dont allow this, the only option from superchips would be the normal chip, when really a remap is the better option as its custom to your car and mods

can the deep ecu be mapped, and what are prices like on an engine map???

have looked a little more into this and dnt know if its worth it... would make more sense to get a megasquirt as its cheaper and has more bits to fiddle with.
chris-fiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS rob on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:44 pm

for the sake of an 8bhp increase if your extremely lucky with an off the shelf chip, a remap could be alot more worth it depending on mods

as far as i know the mondeo ecu's can be remapped
or if not you could have an external chip which is custom mapped
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chris-fiesta on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 pm

sweet will have to look into it... not in a rush as i wanna get a few mods done 1st, but i think main priority would be gettin the damn lump in the car :lol:
chris-fiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 pm

Any Ford ecu with a J3 connector can be chipped but bear in mind that the extent of tuning in these chips mostly consists of advancing the spark timing thus taking away any safeguard against poor quality fuel.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS rob on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:20 pm

cool info sailor bob,

i'd rather have the car remapped on super unleaded,
as you cant always find optimax lol
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chris-fiesta on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:48 am

bridgend_boy :cool info sailor bob,

i'd rather have the car remapped on super unleaded,
as you cant always find optimax lol

yep, true. never used optimax as its a 1.3 but mite gie it a go when the 2.0l in
chris-fiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 am

There's no power benefit from using super unleaded in a stock eec-iv Ford as they don't have a knock sensor to permit timing advance. The only possible gains I can see are from the cleaning properties that they tout for Optimax and it might be just as effective (and cheaper) just to add a bottle of cleaner to the odd tank of fuel now and again.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Asad on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:03 am

Doesnt every remap of a Bluefin chip have to be done by the dealer/installer?

With MS, you can do it all yourself, plus you can actually add a switch so that you can have 2 spark maps. Have one for normal and one for optimax and then you can have best of both worlds. Can be done on the fly too... no need to get your laptop out!

Asad
Asad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:44 am

As far as I know there isn't any remapping of the Bluefin, it comes with the one program that it reflashes the ecu with. you get to read error codes and live data off it too.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS rob on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:32 pm

sailorbob :There's no power benefit from using super unleaded in a stock eec-iv Ford as they don't have a knock sensor to permit timing advance. The only possible gains I can see are from the cleaning properties that they tout for Optimax and it might be just as effective (and cheaper) just to add a bottle of cleaner to the odd tank of fuel now and again.

my car seems to idle better and pick up better with sainsbury's super unleaded, tesco petrol is just crap lol

until they bring the 99ron stuff my way lol
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.