boost control switch

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

boost control switch

Postby davy on Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:52 am

wondering wether anyone can supply the following info

where/what exactlty (sensor wise) does the ecu pick up info regarding the amount of boost that the turbo is running so that it activates safety cut off when boost hits 10psi approx? ecu is of the ofac type.

asking as have been thinking/trying to fit a boost control valve set to peak at approx 12psi with no real success. doesnt seem to be directly from the amal valve as was still hitting boost cut off with all amal pipe work removed plus with the map sensor reworked so wasnt supplying info it was still cutting in. wastegate is not causing any probs as far as we are aware

The only time that we managed to get the valve working correctly with the engine the boost was delivering the same as standard though power was down 20bhp :-?

roading road chap informed me that managed to fit and set one up no bother to approx 12psi peak ( good fuelling and no pinking) though this was with the standard ofab ecu.

so any suggestions on how how to confuse my ecu into how how much boost its running or is the only way to purchase a chip?
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby davy on Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:21 am

anyone?
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:22 pm

Hi...

Why dont you get a Superchip 165 and get rid of the over boost protection ? then.......

you would be better to set your boost to 12psi and leave it. It is very dodgy adjusting your boost to high and low as your fuelling doesnt get adjusted.

cheers :)
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby davy on Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:38 pm

thats what im really looking for information on, how a chip kills the overboost. the ecu must get the boost info from somewhere. if we know what sensor ( if it does?) this comes from we may be able to alter this without getting a chip. i understand the fuelling aspect of things and would be setup/checked on rolling road so that engine was good. im not looking at setting the boost at silly levels, just a few extra psi. after this point the boost would not be changed. if i have to get a chip then so be it though i think all a 165 chip really does in the first place is just kill overboost is there really any need?
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby MadcatCraig on Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:03 am

it doesnt kill overboost just sets it higher.

also it sets the rev limiter higher you have one of them too dont you know ;)

and obviously fuelign will be altered

you can pick one up for £100 second hand so why dont u just buy one lol
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby davy on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:45 am

thought only 195 chip upped the rev limit?
wasnt thinking of upping the boost that much so fuelling would be ok with the standard ecu
if i can get a 165 chip for the ofac ecu for £100 then i would buy one though keep getting quoting silly prices
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:50 pm

I dont think the 165 chip raises the overboost protection limit, i am sure it "bypasses" the limit.

And your right, it's the 195 chip the raises the rev limit.

Your fuelling is NOT altered at all, maybe the timing of the injectors, but the actual amount of fuel does not get adjusted by the chip. Thats done manualy on the fuel pressure regulator with an Allen key and the idle control.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.