Boost, power, intercooler

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Ian C70T5 on Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:38 am

Hi all, ive got my Uprated fuel pump and beige injectors, hybrid T2 and scorpion exhaust and k&n 57i, uni-chip etc....

I was running 15psi, it was fine, had it set to 18psi, standard intercooler, NO chargecooler and it was holding back something cronic...

So its back down to 15psi again

If i got a charge cooler, will that allow me to get the power i want and 18/19psi like i had.. without it holding back??

Cheers

Ian :grin:
Ian C70T5
Das Ist Kapput
Das Ist Kapput

Postby TURBOJUNKIE on Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:42 am

Definatley, the car is holding back because the fuel is not getting a good burn as the inlet air temprature is too hot. Stick a chargecooler on and it'll got like fuk!!!
TURBOJUNKIE
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby fiesta_fras on Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:48 am

have u tried super unleaded. dnt thk i wll help but its worth a try
RIP Robert Martin - Rob - Elm_us
fiesta_fras
Elite Poser
Elite Poser

Postby bassboy on Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:13 pm

u dont really wanna be running that sort of boost without touching the bottom end m8!! have u done nething to it?

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Ian C70T5 on Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:31 pm

Nope, have not done anything yet. will do soon, but i want to get my charge cooooooler and then i'll invest in a cam, with the old low comp pistons and anything else a find i need etc...

I have tried super, does make it go quicker and better mpg, but still holding back, this hot weather dont help either...
Ian C70T5
Das Ist Kapput
Das Ist Kapput

Postby snake on Tue Jun 26, 2001 5:36 pm

Don`t bother with super as you`re unichip can be mapped to suit standard juice.
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:14 pm

18psi with standard i/c :eek:

Calm down lad :wink: you do need to get a chargecooler or at least a Pace i/c and as Bassboy said, you need to get the bottom end sorted.

What about your gearbox ??????
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby MarkFRST on Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:01 pm

As my car is standard engine wise, i'm not really sure about modding the engine..
you say about getting the bottom end sorted - correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a normal stage 1 chip raise the boost upto about 14 psi.. so do you need to get the bottom end strenghtened wity just a chip then?.. i thought you just got the chip set up with new actuator and off you go :???:

My mates FRST.. and it is my mates not mine :grin: has been chipped and his peaks at 15psi with no bottom end mods.. is this bad then? i thought everyone did this ?

Cheers - a totally confused dumb ass :grin: :grin:

Mark.
MarkFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:46 pm

Mark,
My car peaks at 15psi and i have had minor bottom end work done :-

New crank shaft oil seal. But apart from that nothing else.
I have had the head off my engine and the bore, pistons etc.. were checked and looked lovely :smile:
I have had all the bearings and oil seal changed on my gearbox, due to an oil leak onto my clutch caused by the main bearing falling to pieces and knackering the oil seal.

Just make sure you have a new, up-graded head gasket and good compression etc... and it should be ok, BUT if you drive with a right foot made of lead any engine will let go no matter what you do.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby MarkFRST on Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:45 pm

cheers Fezzy Turbo.. i've lean't some new stuff today.. :smile:
i'm not planning to chip my engine, standard is beautiful...and no explosions should happen. :grin:

I'm happy how my car is! and i don't drive with a heavy right foot.. i just enjoy driving her safely. :rolleyes:

Mark.
MarkFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.