brake lines.?!?! asap

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

brake lines.?!?! asap

Postby project_mistral on Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:27 pm

on the front wheels the brake lines are held in place by a braket which is bolted onto the suspension strut.. i need to move the brake lines (more the bracket) in order to get my wheels on

can i remove the bracket and use a cable tie to strap the brake line to the suspension strut!?!? will this be ok and will it be fine for an MOT? or will i have to weld the bracket with the brake line attached to a metal place on the inner wheel arch ??

cheers dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LeeB on Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:41 pm

Are you talking about the part the flexible brake pipe clips into on the suspension leg? Also,you don't say which car it is on as you mention a ka in your sig.

TBH I can't see any reason why you would need to remove/remount this in the first place,although I have led a very sheltered life :rolleyes:

lee
LeeB
Post Master
Post Master

Postby project_mistral on Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:13 pm

yeah its on a ford ka.. for sum reason this bracket which holds the flexible part of the brake line just before it reaches the calliper is slightly further forward than the front of the suspension strut meaing that the new wheel (mondeo's on 215/40) will rub this bracket very slightly.. i need to know whther or not i need to re weld this bracket elsewhere or if i can get away with using a cable tie to hold the brake line to the strut.

cheers dan
project_mistral
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Tom SX on Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:38 pm

Its a Ford KA, unlowered, V reg.

Mondeo Si wheels 215/40 R16's. Afaik the 6.5 inch ones (prob wrong tho).

I belive that it is ok to cable tie the brake lines to the strut aslong as they do not foul the wheel, but I can't be sure, PM Snake and ask him, he should be able to tell you.
Tom SX
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: A big German gaymobile

Postby SimonIce on Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:25 am

I have done this before, BUT was on a mini. Should be ok as long as it cant catch on anything, But still moves with the steering.
SimonIce
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:03 am

hammer the bracket around to the side, cable ties will cut through the brake lines in no time.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Quantum on Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:51 pm

If you are going to cable tie the flexi hose to the suspension strut make sure you wraps a decent thickness for rubber around the hose first, otherwise you'll wear through the hose and loose your brakes :o

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.