Cam Upgrade ...

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Cam Upgrade ...

Postby cheby on Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:44 am

Hello all,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year.

Today I went and got myself a new backbox on my car from Powerflow. I finally got rid of my pea-shotter and I now have a nice 4" on there now. I shall post pictures up tomorrow (Dark now).

Anyways I'm looking at getting a cam upgrade. I've been looking at Kent Cams but I havn't got a clue what I'm looking at. What cam or kit do I need for a Ford Fiesta 1.3 OHV CFi 1995 (M Reg)???

Cheers
Cheby
:D :D :D
cheby
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bassboy on Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:21 pm

hi mate, im unsure of what cam you should buy but here are some pointers as to which cam you think would be best for you...

fiestly, do you like you fiesta to have low down or top end grunt?

if you like low down power, you should go for a cam whos rev range kicks in nice and low....about 1000-1500rpm to which ever rpm stated...generally 6000+. however, the more low down grunt you will have, the more you will sacrifice with the top end power...

however, if you like top end power, then you can go for a cam that kicks in at say 2500-3000rpm until 7000+rpm...however the downside being sluggish low rpm performance and lumpy idling...but when the power does kick in...you WILL feel it...

like i have said above, the more wilder the cam is (the more lift and duration the cam has), the more sluggish performance and poor idling will be shown...

if you also do go for a cam, and you do go for a slightly wilder cam, the more likely you are to have to change the followers, valve springs etc etc...however, if you do go for a cam kit, they will come supplied with them

When you are looking at cams...just remember the bigger the valves, the more wilder they are...in general anything between 260-285 maybe 290 degrees will be OK for road use...anything more and you will suffer from the low down and idling problems...

cams are also named as fast road, rally etc etc so you will have a general indication as to what your cam is suited for by that

HTH

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby cheby on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Great, thanks for that bassboy, that has helped me a little bit understanding the differences in one cam to another. I guess I need to find out now, which make and model will be ok for my car.

Thanks for the help buddy.

Cheby
:D
cheby
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bassboy on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:51 am

no worries...if u find a few that you think are appealing ill let u know roughly what they will be lick in everyday use...for example find the list of cams available for your car on kent cams website etc and put a link up

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby cheby on Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:31 am

I have found many cams, but I havn't got a clue if they are the correct one for my 1.3 ohv cfi.

Cheers

Cheby
:D

cheby
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby FezzR on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:43 am

im not sure they do a cam for that engine, i think the only one ive ever seen listed is for the KA which is the same engine, but im not 100% it will fit without problems
your other problem is that it is chain driven and in side the block and not the head, this means you as good as gonna rebuild the engine just to change the reving characteristics.
because the valve trains on these are so poor and need looking after, which never happens hense the rattling sound, you are gonna need to replace the whole valve train otherwise you will cause undue wear to your new cam

in other words its cheaper to put a different engine,
its your money tho at the end of the day
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.