Cams... which would be better?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Cams... which would be better?

Postby Capri on Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:09 am

Hi guys, in need of a bit of advice really...

I'm looking at what cam to put in the 2.8 for her recon. I've always thought that a fast road cam would be the best way to go, but I've been told that a blueprinted original cam would be a better bet for gains in torque. Is this true? Anyone got any thoughs on which is preferrable out of the two options?

Really could use your help on this as I'm a bit stumped. The blueprinted one is a fair bit cheaper so would be preferrable... if it's not going to be worth it, though, I might as well spend the extra for a fast road cam. Looking for better torque really.

Cheers

Alex
My name is Alex. I used to have a Capri. I don't anymore. But I'm still called Capri.
Capri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: 1989 Citroen BX GTi 16v

Postby SimonT on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:26 am

Well first off what are you going for mate?

torque?
balls out power?

or just a bit of both?
Too old and too bald.
SimonT
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Postby Capri on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:52 am

I guess I'm erring more towards torque to be honest. I'm after better acceleration rather than top speed. However, it would be nice to up the BHP figure a bit too. In other words, I can't decide :lol: but no, probably torque would be the preference.
My name is Alex. I used to have a Capri. I don't anymore. But I'm still called Capri.
Capri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby steveHCS on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:54 pm

Have you considered a cosworth conversion? If you want a reliable power and torque increase, the granada/scorpio cosworth engine seems to be a popular choice. The page below has some pics..

http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport/1_24V_Cosworth.htm

PS I dont have a capri myself, but ill be looking at getting one for this conversion in the next couple of years :)
steveHCS
Poster
Poster

Postby FezzR on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:43 pm

i would speak to whoever is building the engine for you, im sure they will have an opinion, or is it they who mentioned the blue printed?
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Capri on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:57 am

Right, cheers for the feedback.

Steve - that's an ace plan, keep me updated on your progress, I await to see how that turns out! I've thought long and hard about the 24v conversion and many people have told me that's the way I should go. But I just want to stick with my original lump and retain a certain level of originality. Plus, I've always wanted a 2.8 Injection - it'd be a shame to get rid of the 2.8 bit now I've finally got one! Good luck with your project though, I hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing further news :D in the meantime check out the forums at http://www.capripower.co.uk for further info :)

FezzR - It's they who are offering the choice between the 'T21 Fast Road Cam' (more BHP, they say) and the blueprinted original cam (better for torque, they say). Just want to see if what they're saying is true and what other people would do in this situation. :)
Capri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:08 am

You must be having a nightmare, sooo many decisions to be made. I haven't clicked on that 24v Cosworth link, but that sounds very interesting. I know how much originality is key to your car, but it does sound as though you like driving it hard....so is it worth sacrificing true originality (ask yourself - is the original theme solely for yourself, or largely so enthusiasts will brand you as "one of them"?) to give you a very entertaining, and quite different car? It will still be clean and standard on the outside, but drive as hard as a Cosworth.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works (if this is even still a consideration, but it sounds as though you haven't fully launched into anything yet), but it would be a shame to sacrifice what could be a very unique, breath-taking car to keep it as a standard Ford Capri with standard power etc. I totally appreciate the "standard" thing...I've followed it to an extent too, but rather than settling for a 150bhp standard FRST engine, I thought it far more important to use a modern engine with much more potential, because I do what I do to my car because I love driving, and not slowly!

Have I just tripled your thought process? :-?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby FezzR on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:12 pm

well i havent read me book on cams yet lol so cant really comment on which will to do which.

who is building the engine in the end?

are they taking into consideration the other mods, so stating figures from an otherwise standard engine?

i "think" you will find the fast road cam will raise the torque some too, but again not sure what the blue printed will do in terms of raising power,
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Capri on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:10 pm

Heeman - Thanks for the input mate, it's appreciated. However, I've decided to go down this road for myself, and not for the sake of other peoples' admiration. As I've said to a few people, I've always wanted a 2.8 Injection - now that I've finally got one, I don't want to take the 2.8 bit out of it :)

FezzR - Cheers chap, I think I've decided to go down the fast road cam route.... well I say 'I think' - it's now booked in for that to be done :lol: just thought it was the best way to go bearing in mind that and the head work that will be done at the same time :) Cheers for your input.
Capri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:30 pm

:D
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.