can any body help???

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

can any body help???

Postby fezzars on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:12 pm

hi i was wondering if any one could shed a little light on a question i have, iv allways wonderd why some cars flutter as opposed to a hiss (dump valve), i was told quite recently that this is not a form of dump valve and to remove it and it will simply happen??? i not sure this is ture, as i always thaught it was the wastegate, what do i need to do/modify or buy for my standard FRST to do this. thank you for ur replys.
HOW DO I GET PIC OF MY CAR ERE? URGH!!!!!!!!
fezzars
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: can any body help???

Postby SiZT on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:40 pm

if a car is run without a dump-valve and a open airfilter you will get wastegate chatter (which has nothing to do with the wastegate) but it shags your turbo........ real quick so I wouldn't recommend it unless your planning an upgrade
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:57 pm

who told you chatter shags up your turbo's? all a dump valve does is reduce compressor stall. by removing it you will not destry your turbo because ,correct me if im wrong, FRST's,ERST's and im pretty sure cossies didnt come with dump valves.
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SiZT on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:28 pm

they also come with an airbox which reduces the airflow in, as well as out when the throttles closed so the noise isn't as loud its there, just quietened! All new turbo cars come with dump valves... when you've got a turbo spinning in 1 direction trying to force air against a flow of air going the opposite direction then it stalls the turbo which is the noise you hear, this also cause the turbo shaft to wear excessively and result in the sideways and back/forward movement they have

hope that sounds right, I always was s**t at writing essay's :lol:
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm

SiZT : they also come with an airbox which reduces the airflow in, as well as out when the throttles closed so the noise isn't as loud its there, just quietened! All new turbo cars come with dump valves... when you've got a turbo spinning in 1 direction trying to force air against a flow of air going the opposite direction then it stalls the turbo which is the noise you hear, this also cause the turbo shaft to wear excessively and result in the sideways and back/forward movement they have

eh?

im not trying to take the piss or anything (if it seems that way im not honest) but i dont get what your saying.

an airbox that reduces airflow into the engine would do nothing for reducing compressor stall as its caused when the air charge is forced back into the turbo when the throttle is closed . and whats all this about it being quietened?
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SiZT on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:22 pm

you don't hear the chatter because of the standard airbox!!!
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 pm

so because you cant hear it its not damaging the turbo? ive seen them run for a good 100,000 miles on the same turbo. although it was properly looked after thats not the point. if what your saying is true then surely it would have given up way before it got anywhere near those miles?
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 pm

SiZT :if a car is run without a dump-valve and a open airfilter you will get wastegate chatter (which has nothing to do with the wastegate) but it shags your turbo........ real quick so I wouldn't recommend it unless your planning an upgrade

Absolute rubbish! Providing the turbo isn't a delicate roller bearing type or you run a T4 size turbo or in excess of 30psi of boost the chatter is not damaging in the slightest. Complete pub b0ll0cks.

I run a T3 on my 260bhp ERST track car at 25psi and that hasn't had a dumpvalve on it since it was built. My FRST runs a T3 at 17psi again with no dumpvalve with no issues and my brother runs 21psi through his T3 with again no problems. In fact I'm yet to see an RST turbo fail as a result of not having a DV. In some situations a DV can be damaging as it can cause overspeeding of the turbo.

Worth noting that on the ERST and FRST as standard there was no DV fitted as standard and on an ERST fitting one screws the cars up due to the way the injection system operates.

To get the chatter simply throw your chumpvalve in the spare drawer and fit a cone filter. Chatter away without fear my son

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby lloydwillard132 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am

oranco always has the last word because he is the bollox.any engine queries or probs ask him hell most probly know.
lloydwillard132
Poster
Poster

Postby fezzars on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

cheers oronico, you have sorted me out, dont really like the dump valve sound anyway its so boyracer, and common......
HOW DO I GET PIC OF MY CAR ERE? URGH!!!!!!!!
fezzars
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.