Can I swap a 1.6 turbo engine into my mk3 1.1

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Can I swap a 1.6 turbo engine into my mk3 1.1

Postby mean_silver_devil on Wed May 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if a 1.6 turbo engine fits into my mk3 1.1 with no problems, I am thinking of a t3 conversion too. Will the chasis take all that power without being affected by this power? or do I have to strengthen the chasis.

I am not planing to go over 170-180 bhp. is that power reachable by just tuning the T2 or do I have to do a T3 conversion?

sorry I am new to these stuff :cry:

Thanks for you help.
mean_silver_devil
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Wed May 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Yes it can be done but in all honesty with the costs involved sourcing all the parts you'd be far better off in the long run just buying an RS Turbo.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Wed May 16, 2007 6:27 pm

All mark 3 shells are the same thing's like lower arm's will have to be changed for rs/2i one's but the shells are the same. Insurance will be more on a converted car and might be a fiesta turbo be will never be a fiesta rs turbo :wink:
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby mean_silver_devil on Thu May 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Thank you guys for your reply, A friend offered to get me the engine in a good condition for a decent price, So I will see the total cost if it was not too high I will go for it. I will update you with pics for my project as soon as I start :) .
mean_silver_devil
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 pm

The engine isn't the problem, you'll also need.

Turbo
Exhaust
Radiator
Intercooler
ECU
Wiring loom
Fuel tank & pump
Fuel lines
Brakes
Suspension
etc

See where this is going? Unless you can get a complete wrecked car to pinch all the bits off the conversion just doesn't make economic sense. Also bear in mind a car converted to turbo power is often more expensive to insure than the real item and is never worth as much so you get shafted twice.

Best of luck though with whatever you decide to do :)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mean_silver_devil on Sun May 20, 2007 7:19 pm

I agree with you, But it differs here in Egypt than in UK. We don't have RST in Egypt :x , although I know where to get the engine and all the stuff needed for the conversion. about the insurance it will cost me more but not alot, it costs me now 80 pounds, after the conversion it will be 120-140 pounds max.

and because Turbo cars are very rare in Egypt, cars converted to Turbo are sold on a very high price :D

So if I did the conversion my car will be the only fiesta Turbo in Egypt :wink:

Anyway I asked about the turbo and all the stuff needed and I found it for a very cheap price, so I will give it a try.

I will keep you updated on my project, currently I am doing bodywork on it, because it has alot of rust :cry: I wil take photos and keep you guys updated with my project :Q
mean_silver_devil
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Mon May 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Seeing as you never had the turbo over there mate. Go for it and best of luck with the conversion.

Keep us posted and get some pics up :Q

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.