Can I weld a tailpipe onto a standard box?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Can I weld a tailpipe onto a standard box?

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:48 pm

After being quoted sums higher than my budget (just for a goddamn change!) for custom backboxes, I'm now wondering if I could have a nice tailipipe welded onto my standard backbox? The problem is my tailpipe's pretty small and gay, so could I have a nice 3" stainless pipe welded on?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby Sauna on Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:45 pm

yes, think so :D
Sauna
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Simmo on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:22 pm

Why bother :-?

Why not pick up a second hand aftermarket back box of any old car that looks about the same and cut and join the pipe on the other side.

You will have fun welding stainless steel to mild steel (depending on how good quality the stainless is - top notch stainless is a biyatch!)

Try finding a box with a pipe thats either a few mm's to big or to small and slide one over the other with some lines sawed in it, if its the same then find another peice of tube to go over both and then put a proper exaust clamp round it (with loads of sealing paste), then adapt the mounting to fit.

Standard backboxes sound pants usually with a tail pipe bodged on - i've done a few for mates (I used to work at a Tyre, Brake and Exaust center) But each to their own of coarse and I definately haven't heard them all :D
Simmo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:40 pm

Well I WOULD just buy a smart second-hand one, but no-one makes stainless backboxes for diesels do they?!! Already been down that road :rolleyes: That's why I was asking for custom prices, and why I now want to find a way of making it look better than it is for less than £150!
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Canwell on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:05 pm

i think simmo means takin an aftermarket backbox off another car that dont fit your car. and welding it to fit onto your deisel???

seems a good idea to me. oh and simmo, peco's and the like are only stainless end, the part that joins to the pipe is mild steel, so u should have no probs welding one on. :D

HTH
Canwell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:07 pm

Right. Hmm, interesting. Will have to see what can be done I spose! Cheers.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Canwell on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:07 pm

u could just buy a clip-on end!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:bonkers:
Canwell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:22 pm

I actually went to Halfords with the intention of buying one, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one! No sh|t! Just couldn't do it!! :rolleyes: :x
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Simmo on Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:05 pm

Is what I mean.... I have a Clio peco stainless on my 106

[img]tailpipe.jpg[/img]

I cut the pipe of before the box and then heated it up with oxycetyine (sp) and then 'beat' it in with a lump hammer, nothing else was needed. Had a go at welding the stainless but gave up soon after :bonkers:

any back box will do as long as it is roughly the same size, deisels have very low exaust pressure anyway so literally anything will do.... backboxes will never ever increase your performance unless your old one is that full of carbon (which would be very unlikely)

If you go to your local exaust fitting place and ask them if you can dig in scrap pile for an old original back box then you wont have to cut yours up either. :P

If you live anywhere around south cheshire I wouldn't mind giving you a hand if you want :D :D :D
Simmo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:07 pm

Cheers Simmo :) v. generous of you! I'm in Leicestershire, so about 80 miles from Manchester :rolleyes: I get what you mean now, just need to find a backbox with a nice 3" stainless pipe!
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Simmo on Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:18 pm

Doh! miss the address from my pritty picture :(

just for your pure unadulterated visual pleasue.....

Simmo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ste_rich on Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:12 pm

to get rid of my "straw" like 1.3 back box i just went oto scrap yard and bought a 16v 2i back box,

With the aid of a reducer pipe and some clamps i now have a meaty rear box.

No sound difference tho, jus looks good.
ste_rich
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.