can you put spacers on to eliminate rubbing on arches?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

can you put spacers on to eliminate rubbing on arches?

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:56 pm

if the wheels are rubbing on the arches after you've lowered it, can you put spacers on them to stop it from happening?

thanks
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:07 pm

It depends where they're rubbing. You need to find that out. If they're rubbing at the top of the arch liner, spacing won't necessarily stop that. If you look up, the arch liner contours bring it lower at the outside of the arch. So if you space the wheel, you're bringing it out to a lower part of the arch liner, meaning it'll scrub earlier than it did before.

If it's rubbing on the inside bottom of the arch liner when you apply steering lock, it's likely spacing will cure that. On mine, I can't win. If I leave the spacers off, I get light scrubbing on full lock. So I put the spacers on, which gives me scrubbing on the outer lip of the arch liner on bumps! My brakes now mean I HAVE to have spacers on, so on harsh bumps I get the tyre brushing the arch liner a bit - something I need to remedy with longer bumpstops and stiffer springs.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby RS_Raz on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:12 pm

I cant win either, :( if theres no spacers they rub the springs constantly and on the chassis on full lock and with spacers I get full lock rub and rubbing on the arches over bumps... even though the front arches have been cut off :oooh: . ah well. :wink:
RS_Raz
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:13 pm

im getting rubbing all the time :cry: well i think its rubbing. the car seems slower and it seems to stop a bit sooner when i take my foot off the accelerator. ive got coosie brake set up at the front, it wouldnt be rubbing on them would it? it doesnt look like its rubbing on the top arch, the only thing i can think off is it may be rubbing on the shock cup cuz the wheel is pretty close to that.
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:28 pm

What wheels are on there?

Something is definately amiss

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS rob on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:26 pm

take the wheels off and look where its rubbing!
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:58 pm

ive had a really good look and ive decided that its not rubbing :rolleyes: the noises and creaky vibrations are coming from the shocks. the springs are brand new but the shocks i bought off ebay, said they'd covered about 500 miles and they look in very good condition. but they are very stiff and creaky though. every minute bump (going slow) you can hear it creaking and groaning and can feel it through the car.

Is there any grease i can put on the rods to lubricate them or is it best to leave them and hope they soften up or something??

also is it normal for the steering to feel heavier when youve lowered it alot?
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.