CHIPPING@40K

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

CHIPPING@40K

Postby TURBOHERM on Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:00 pm

I have a standard frst (T2 turbo) excluding s/s and d/v and the car has only done 40k. :aviator:

I wanted to chip it (180BHP, which it won't be) and uprate the actuator and I do oil/filter change every 3k. :Q

Would this give me more mid range with the remapping of air/fuel?
I don't want to go silly, and I don't want to blow the turbo but what psi do these chip's run at? :rolleyes:

I don't want to T3 it or anything.
Also it's going to be rolled, but at the moment having had a good run, sometimes the revs drop to 500rpm at stand still and either pick up again or it stalls. Any ideas? :-?
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Postby Project on Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:27 pm

I would recommend contacting Greg (Fezzy_Turbo) on the site - he has been running a 165 chip for a long time now with no complaints and I think it's fair to say his is one of the most reliable Fiesta RSTs I've known of.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:38 am

Hello.........

Q : Also it's going to be rolled, but at the moment having had a good run, sometimes the revs drop to 500rpm at stand still and either pick up again or it stalls. Any ideas?

A : Check your idle control valve might be needing a clean, if not a sensor somewhere might be getting too hot. Need to be put on a diagnostic machine for that.

Tuning : Be sensible. You have the right idea with an new actuator (-32) and then a chip like a Superchips 165 or also know as a stage1 chip would do fine. A good tuner should take the boost upto around 12psi, that should give u a good increase in power and torque, but also not pushing things too far.
The worry i have is your car has only done 40k and probably would not be used to being driven harder. I am guessing it was a show car. If you have the patience, i would put some more miles on it as standard, driving it harder. This might give away some weak points, in other words things might break, but hopefully not.

Whats the history of the car ???

cheers :)
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

CHIPPING@40K

Postby TURBOHERM on Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:03 pm

NICE ONE, CHEERS.

Iv'e already checked my idle control valve and it's totally clean and free.
I thought it might be a sensor or something. But it is strange how sometimes it doesn't happen, but as you said temp might have something to do with it. I'll find out the same time when I get it rolled.

I have been pushing it harder, but I don't drive it stupidly.
The rocker cover gasket needed replacing, and I was told that it wasn't fixed properly and sort of folded in on the back, but that's fine now.

Also had the valve stem rubbers done which stopped the smoke on cold start up so that's good and that's about it really.

It's an extremely clean engine with an immaculate body. It has had two/three previous owners (can't remember), the second previous owner had it as one of a couple cars and just brought it out of the garage to polish it etc..and the previous owner was a lady who's husband worked away, so she just used it to get it out of a garage and go shopping-quick way to get there though.
Got all MOT's and service so i'm gonna hang onto this one.
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:46 pm

Sounds like a good one.

Well a stage1 upgrade should keep you amused and not put too much of a strain on the engine (if it breaks dont blame me ;) )

Get it along to a good tuner and see what happens.

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:00 pm

Or try the ahmed bayjoo 175 chip a very good map that doesnt leave ya engine runnin like poo :D
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TURBOHERM on Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:08 pm

What's the difference between the stage 1 chips from these:
1)collin's performance powerchip's
2)superchip's
3)ahmed bayjoo chip's

Do I need to get platinum plugs because of the temp increase?
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:50 pm

You dont need to buy Platinum plugs for a stage1. I use good old NGK R plugs on mine with no problems and dont bother buying expensive HT leads either, stick with Ford ones but replace them every time you replace your plugs. The heat under the bonnet does them no favours.

As for the chips i dont know, i have only experienced Superchips. I think one difference will be the price ;)
I have had no problems with my chip apart from the begining, but was soon sorted.
Your best bet would be to shop around.

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby MarkFRST on Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:58 pm

Fezzy Turbo :You dont need to buy Platinum plugs for a stage1. I use good old NGK R plugs on mine with no problems and dont bother buying expensive HT leads either, stick with Ford ones but replace them every time you replace your plugs. The heat under the bonnet does them no favours.

Stick with standard frst plugs, change them every 6000 miles.
Greggors do you change your leads everytime you change the plugs ?? i think not lol a set from ford costs like £40, but they are miles better than supposed 'uprated' ones. Buy a set and they will last you years 8)

:D
MarkFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:08 am

Mark...

is that the type that are solid going onto the plug ? not the 2 bits of plastic that open up with the heat ? :rolleyes: I think they are made by Bosch.

I just buy the ones that are 2 bits of plastic and i have had some horrors trying to get them off!!....here comes the lead but leaves the connector attached to the plug!!
I changed my plugsand leads when i change my oil about every 5k and having a friend in the car trade, i get my parts at trade price ;)

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby TURBOHERM on Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:23 pm

:aviator: right o!
And injectors.............Uprate from the standard blue to red? Where do they sell these? :-?

I don't need beige cus that is more for the stage 2 upgrade isn't it? and the cost! :wink:
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Postby GavStyli on Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:39 pm

Ive had a 165 superchip before, and then the ahmed bayjoo 165 chip which ive been running for 2 years. Not noticed much difference in them but the bayjoo is supposed to be better. :)
Problem is ive heard he doesnt do off the shelf chips anymore
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby GavStyli on Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:44 pm

TURBOHERM ::aviator: right o!
And injectors.............Uprate from the standard blue to red? Where do they sell these? :-?

I don't need beige cus that is more for the stage 2 upgrade isn't it? and the cost! :wink:

you dont need to replace your standard blue injectors for the 165chip
anyhow the next step up from them are the beiges which cost £225 and require a 195chip
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby TURBOHERM on Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:08 pm

Yeah all the bayjoo chips iv'e seen on the sites say that soldering is required. :(
I'm gonna go with plug and play! :aviator:

The blue is standard, but what are the red ones for? There not as big bore as beige.
Iv'e seen that all the beige ones are on the 195bhp cars, but are the red ones for fast road or something?

They are an upgrade from the blue but didn't know if it would increase the performance with a 165 chip or even if you could put them on a standard car to give give a few more bhp?

Still don't know where to get them, but I will keep looking! :wink:

Any comments welcome for this subject! :Q
:Q
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:53 pm

Red injectors :-?

Just putting on different injectors wont give u more power, all they do is allow u to have larger amounts of fuel when running higher boost.

Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror

Postby KEVFRST on Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:03 pm

46K with stage 1 chip runnin 13psi ( i hope). No probs. superchips plug in, by castle performance. no probs in 5years since it was done. :wink:
KEVFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Stage1

Postby TURBOHERM on Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:05 pm

hello good people,

FRST.

Is there any difference between motorsport red and blue ht leads as I
have the red ones and might buy new ones soon?
Also can I do a resistance test with a meter to see if the old ones are degrading?

Also do I need an (uprated) actuator or just a new (fully reliable) one for my stage 1 upgrade? :rolleyes:
TURBOHERM
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.