Coilovers, what for around £500

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Coilovers, what for around £500

Postby T2 on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:21 pm

I have used the search icon in the forums but can only come up with two makes of Coilovers AVO, and H&R. people have said that the H&R are vastly superior but i can't afford them. Is there differnt widths of coilovers?? i have seen some described as being 2.25" whats that about??? any others tried and tested.

Does anyone know what IanFRST is running with his cossie wheels??

Cheers

Carlton
"What's the reasons?"I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, bitchBetter trust than believe em
T2
Poster
Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:48 pm

From http://www.fiestaturbo.com/content.php?page=suspension

The ultimate in Fiesta suspension kits is a coilover setup. Coilovers are basically shocks with perfectly matched springs which are 2.25" in internal diameter and therefore not as wide as standard springs. There are a number of benefits to this design. The first is that the damper body has a thread on it and the spring platform can be adjusted up and down this thread to provide adjustment in ride height. Most kits will provide an adjusment range of 100mm or so and lower the car between 30 and 50mm on the highest setting. With the spring platforms wound down, it is possible to lower the car by over 100mm, as demonstrated on Angus Munro's RS 1800 in the Magazine Featured Cars section. The ride height can be adjusted without removing the kit from the car, it's usually a case of removing the wheels to gain access to the spring platform. It's worth noting that when adjusting the ride height the geomentry of the car will become affected and the tracking and alignment of the wheels should be checked and adjusted if neccessary to prevent premature tyre wear.

Coilovers are ideal when fitting large wheels. The springs, being narrower than standard or 'regular' lowering springs, provide better clearance, as the spring platform is less likely to come into contact with the wheel or tyre. The stiffness of the dampers are adjustable on the car in the same way as the adjustable shocks mentioned above.

Coilovers have a reputation for having a harsh ride. This is usually down to the stiffness of springs that are supplied. With coilovers being primarily designed for track use, the poundage of the springs is usually much harder than normal lowering springs, however there is a massive range of springs that fit coilovers, all with the same internal diameter but differing in poundage (stiffness) and length. This enables ultra fine tuning of both the ride height and stiffness of the car, so you can fit harder springs to match your driving style or shorter ones to lower the car further. As described above, fitting much shorter springs can lead to them dislocating from the spring platforms when the car is raised. There is a solution to this when using coilovers. Helper springs are flat section springs that are very soft in poundage and are used to support the main spring when the damper (shock) body is extended. When the car is lowered again and the damper compresses, the helper spring is squashed flat and the main spring operates as normal.

They are all the same width.

Ian is running Koni's, standard type shocks, not coilovers.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby T2 on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:32 am

Thanks Adrian.

Can't get a better answer than that. i'm guessing this is off the Home page? and my eyes are stuck on!!

Carlton
"What's the reasons?"I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, bitchBetter trust than believe em
T2
Poster
Poster

Postby 16VSi on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:04 pm

I think it's worth saving for a bit longer and getting the H&R coilovers.

I've got AVO coilovers myself, and wished I'd of known about H&R's when I got mine.

The AVO's are just a bit too harsh in my opinion.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:08 pm

H&R's have been around for ages but just werent known to the masses until **cough** yours **cough** truly **cough** told the world about em. :lol:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby T2 on Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:57 pm

16VSi :
The AVO's are just a bit too harsh in my opinion.
#

I understand you can buy softer oundage springs so may be i could soften them up abit!

Chumkila your just a trend setta m8!!

Carlotn
T2
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:16 pm

Why thank you. Possibly the nicest thing anyones said to me on here! :D
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby 16VSi on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:06 pm

I understand you can buy softer poundage springs so may be i could soften them up abit!

This is an option you could take.

Don't get me wrong the AVO kit is still very good, it's just the roads that aren't.
16VSi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby T2 on Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:01 pm

Dont i know it mate! im in a batlle with a local coucil about a pot hole which made me an Elipse Alloy wheel :o

Carlton.

Chumkila :cry:
T2
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:40 pm

Dont cry dude, chin up! :wink:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Mexi on Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:34 pm

H&R are supposed tobe very good yes, but at around £800 a set they should be :lol:

i have avo and i know a good few people with avo, all reccomended :D

Bilstein are set to become the best coilovers available tho, apparently their ride and handling will put H&R to shame and the price will be competitive too :o
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Quantum on Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:47 am

T2, don't give up the council will pay out if you are persistent enough. Make sure you have plenty of photographic proof and make a lot of fuss, but don't be rude or insulting.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby T2 on Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:43 pm

Quantum,

the coucil has posted me a letter saying that they are not negligable as they didnt know about the hole so it cannot be there fault!!!

So basically they have told me where to go!!

there not denying the hole wasnt there, there just sayin there sorry i hit it but it was nothying to do with them!!!

Carlton.
T2
Poster
Poster

Postby Mulder on Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:13 pm

T2 :Chumkila your just a trend setta m8!!

He's just bringing Germany's finest to the UK - just like his wheels. :D

In that regard I'm about to become the German Chumkila. :lol:
Audi TT quattro turbo :: 500 bhp :: 700 Nm :: 18" OZ Vela
Fiesta XR2i 8v :: 104 bhp :: 135 Nm :: 14" Dezent D
Mulder
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chumkila on Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:00 am

:wink: Respec'
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Joris on Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:42 pm

lol, i've known of H&R for ages, I always buy their springs if I want to lower a car :)

They're just the best around for the moment, H&R or Eibach with Koni or Bilstein, over anything really :)

(hmm, no, fully custom Öhlins kit seems nice to :p)
Joris
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.