[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Comfortable Sports Suspension (?) : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Comfortable Sports Suspension (?)

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Comfortable Sports Suspension (?)

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Is this possible on our old cars?

I've just fitted a Spax VSX kit and the ride is horrendous, really awful.

My dad owns a Vauxhall Monaro, which is low (as standard) and ofcourse handles very well. It does not however have a bone shaking ride like my Si.

My previous car was a Mk4 Fiesta, the ride on that was very smooth, are there any options in the ford family that a conversion could be made to have both a comfortable ride and a low sports handling?

Is it better to have just standard shocks with the lower springs?

Opinions and ideas welcome. :)

" San Diego... German ofcourse, meaning 'A Whale's Vagina' "
scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Hurst Green, East Sussex/ Constitution Hill, Swansea

Postby DaveRom on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Koni adjustables are the best imo.

The kit is of really good quality and also really smooth on the hardest setting. I used to have that Spax kit you have and found it too hard, although it made the car handle pretty well.

HTH

Dave
DaveRom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i SE

Postby FezzR on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:26 pm

Koni and Spax are both very hard,
adjustable damping is what you need ideally coil overs

thicker antiroll bars and polly bushes on the roll bar, will reduce the body roll but not affect how harsh the ride is.

only aftermarket suspension that i have known to keep good ride quality are Eibach and H&R, but i have no experience with them specifically on a fiesta
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby RS rob on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:08 pm

where would you go for uprated anti roll bars???
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:35 pm

Toby - Sadly that's been the opinion all across this board every time people fit it :( My mate had it on his Mk2 Golf too, and it was a bone and dash shaker. My Gmax gives a brilliantly supple ride, possibly a tiiiiny bit soft if anything. If I had a clue what springs were on it I'd buy some slightly stiffer replacements!

Rob - Custom made would be the only way, I don't know of anything else that you could possibly find that would be the same shape as the Fiesta ARB with a larger diameter!
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby chumkila on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Need a ride in my car then. :)
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:05 am

heeman10 :Toby - Sadly that's been the opinion all across this board every time people fit it :( My mate had it on his Mk2 Golf too, and it was a bone and dash shaker. My Gmax gives a brilliantly supple ride, possibly a tiiiiny bit soft if anything. If I had a clue what springs were on it I'd buy some slightly stiffer replacements!

See I thought that as Gmax is cheaper than Spax that it wouldn't be as nice a ride or stiffness. This was the impression I got from people on the forum... I have noted however that not many people here have a Spax kit and maybe it's actually because they are quite horrible!

It seems that the only way to do better is to spend more. :( Coilovers and adjustable shocks are expensive all the way...

Are there no options available? The chassis for the Mk4 and 5 fez is also used on the Puma and Ka right? Is there any mixing and matching that could possibly lead to a nice setup? I think Excursion is puting a lot of Ka stuff in his project fez...

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:11 am

Cheaper does not always mean better Tobias! Spax would be great for the track, just not for average road surfaces. The Gmax kit has delivered precisely what I wanted; lower ride height, firmer suspension, supple ride and good value. It's the age old dilemma of not being able to try a suspension setup and send it back if you don't like it. Big commitment when you're just having to hope it's going to be what you want.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby Dazza on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:27 pm

I have the Spax PSX kit and even tho ride isnt smooth I find its nothing to complain about (I wouldnt buy a suspension kit for comfort, thats what the OEM stuff is for). You get used to it

And I thought polybushes increased vibration due to being a harder material? :-?
Dazza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jdfiesta on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:58 pm

i have gmax on mine and i wouldnt say the ride is harsh, yeah you feel the bumps a bit more, but i wouldnt say its harsh as in it shakes the das or owt
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby FezzR on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:22 pm

Dazza_CW :I have the Spax PSX kit and even tho ride isnt smooth I find its nothing to complain about (I wouldnt buy a suspension kit for comfort, thats what the OEM stuff is for). You get used to it

And I thought polybushes increased vibration due to being a harder material? :-?

the anti roll bar does not transmit vibration. so using polly bushes on the roll bar will not have any effect on anything other than the amount of roll
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Dazza on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Sorry I read it wrong, I thought you meant a full poly bush set i.e wishbone bushes etc
Dazza
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:36 am

Dazza_CW :I have the Spax PSX kit and even tho ride isnt smooth I find its nothing to complain about (I wouldnt buy a suspension kit for comfort, thats what the OEM stuff is for). You get used to it

I'm starting to get used to it now and I can go at silly speeds round the big bends now! :o Only really wanted to see if anyone had any theories on what was the best setup, if any brands do better shocks that mix well with another's springs.

I'm going to investigate this further though... :oooh:

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Excursion on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:28 am

Ford STD FRST. I Challenge you to a drive with anything sub £1000.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby jdfiesta on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Excursion :Ford STD FRST. I Challenge you to a drive with anything sub £1000.

i know they where 25mm lower, but i didnt know they were uprated springs. i know you can buy uprated springs for them from ford though
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Excursion :Ford STD FRST. I Challenge you to a drive with anything sub £1000.

I haven't got a glove with me to slap you back I'm afraid! :lol:

But you are the chap I was hoping would find this post, in your latest fez project you're delving into sportka steering and such like...

Are you suggesting that a std frst setup is fine on it's own? I think most people on this forum ride on 15's and would prefer the car to have a low stance too, which I don't think is possible with std frst suspension?

I have the RS2K front and rear disk setup going on the car so 14's can't happen :( which I would be happy to do for the smoother ride!

If I (or anybody) could fit FRST shocks and maybe -25/30mm lowering springs would that be close to as good as it gets on a fez?

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Excursion on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:05 pm

jdfiesta :i know they where 25mm lower, but i didnt know they were uprated springs. i know you can buy uprated springs for them from ford though
JJ

Drastically different to XR2I/RS1800 etc :) They are very difficult to get hold of though, if you order from Ford you WILL be sent XR2i springs. Last time I looked Microcat only listed FRST specific rear dampers, I think the fronts and the springs are down as being the same as 2i.

scarlet_pimp_mobile :I haven't got a glove with me to slap you back I'm afraid!

Are you suggesting that a std frst setup is fine on it's own? I think most people on this forum ride on 15's and would prefer the car to have a low stance too, which I don't think is possible with std frst suspension?

I have the RS2K front and rear disk setup going on the car so 14's can't happen which I would be happy to do for the smoother ride!

If I (or anybody) could fit FRST shocks and maybe -25/30mm lowering springs would that be close to as good as it gets on a fez?

A glove? :lol:

I've said many a time that the FRST came with a very good setup for UK roads, if anything it's slightly too stiff but that was always the compromise to make up for the poor pre-mk3.5 chassis. You can go lower, afterall it came from the factory with sufficient ride height to take 5 adults and luggage without bottoming out (if required).

Get some good shocks and stock FRST springs (or good quality -35mm lowering springs). I ran Bilstein suspension with one of the 2.0's and that was seriously impressive considering it was £500. Far too low at the front though so I changed to standard ford 16v springs and it gripped extremely well (195/45/15).
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby Oranoco on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:24 pm

I've said it time and time again if you aren't going mad on power then new standard dampers and a set of 25-35mm springs will do the job just fine. Next step is Koni TA's set soft. Too many people just put adjustable dampers on and set them stiff or fit coilovers without the first clue about them.

My 200bhp Fiesta is using standard dampers with a spring kit and it works just fine. Too soft for track but as the car is only likely to spend 20 hours a year on track it would be daft to get a track oriented suspension set up that on the road would be near useless.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:55 am

Aha! The secrets are revealed! :lol: I could have saved a bit of money if I'd heard this before...

I did think that the suspension was pretty much rally prepped not really for road use. I think it should be described this way for potential buyers.

The amount of times when I'm going to be using the kit to it's fullest potential in cornering is neglible to how often I just want a smooth ride.

So is Nomad's RS Breakers a good place to look for the rear RS Turbo shocks?

I think this kind of information should be known to all as n00bies to modifying like me, who can't find out about this info till they've bought and tested it. :)

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Excursion on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:18 am

scarlet_pimp_mobile :Aha! The secrets are revealed! :lol: I could have saved a bit of money if I'd heard this before...

I did think that the suspension was pretty much rally prepped not really for road use. I think it should be described this way for potential buyers.

The amount of times when I'm going to be using the kit to it's fullest potential in cornering is neglible to how often I just want a smooth ride.

I think this kind of information should be known to all as n00bies to modifying like me, who can't find out about this info till they've bought and tested it. :)

Nomad should be able to sort you out mate, he usually sorts me out :)

Don't worry, the suspension choice isn't a 'Newbie' thing, people rarely get it right for road use. It's usually a case of 'it's harder so it'll go round corners faster', often down to misconceptions about body roll taken from journalists describing a cars handling.

I've just noticed that you have a 16v Si, which means that you have the twin tube gas dampers and 'sports' springs. You won't see much gain swapping to FRST dampers, but if you will need to fit FRST rear dampers if you want to fit FRST springs, as rear dampers & springs are not interchangeable between marks. If you lived closer I'd take you out in my FRST so you could see what it's like, be aware though that they don't sit particularly low:

I'm with Oranoco and would advise you get some good quality lowering springs, Eibach if possible (although not sure if they are still made for the mk3.5). If your dampers are tired them replace them with OEM spec. I beleive Ford dampers are manufactured by Boge or Sachs.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby xrsi on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:14 pm

i ahve spax on mine and am very impressed, not overly hard or uncomfortable!

however we put spax on the girlfriends 206, one of the worst rides possible, its really really hard! Oh and it didnt lower the car so we had to get eibach springs, which means it still really hard! :(

am going to have a thing about different dampers soon!
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby DaveRom on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:32 pm

Excursion :
scarlet_pimp_mobile :Aha! The secrets are revealed! :lol: I could have saved a bit of money if I'd heard this before...

Nomad should be able to sort you out mate, he usually sorts me out :)

Don't worry, the suspension choice isn't a 'Newbie' thing, people rarely get it right for road use. It's usually a case of 'it's harder so it'll go round corners faster', often down to misconceptions about body roll taken from journalists describing a cars handling.

I've just noticed that you have a 16v Si, which means that you have the twin tube gas dampers and 'sports' springs. You won't see much gain swapping to FRST dampers, but if you will need to fit FRST rear dampers if you want to fit FRST springs, as rear dampers & springs are not interchangeable between marks. If you lived closer I'd take you out in my FRST so you could see what it's like, be aware though that they don't sit particularly low:

I'm with Oranoco and would advise you get some good quality lowering springs, Eibach if possible (although not sure if they are still made for the mk3.5). If your dampers are tired them replace them with OEM spec. I beleive Ford dampers are manufactured by Boge or Sachs.

Can vouch for the ride quality and handling of the above vehicle. Seriously impressive but as said it dosen't sit that low. Only a problem if that kind of thing bothers you really.

When people say FRST's don't handle properly on the stock stuff its more than likely they can't drive. :lol:
DaveRom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i SE

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:08 pm

So FRST shocks can be retro fitted to 3.5's no problems? :)

thanks again for all the info guys. :aviator:

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Excursion on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:00 am

scarlet_pimp_mobile :So FRST shocks can be retro fitted to 3.5's no problems? :)

thanks again for all the info guys. :aviator:

You can fit the FRST rear shocks providing you keep the FRST rear springs. At the front you need to keep your existing shocks and fit the FRST springs :)
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby DanLovesClubbing on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:45 am

Excursion :I'm with Oranoco and would advise you get some good quality lowering springs, Eibach if possible (although not sure if they are still made for the mk3.5). If your dampers are tired them replace them with OEM spec. I beleive Ford dampers are manufactured by Boge or Sachs.

Would these be the Eibach springs you are referring to?

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=27574
2.0 Zetec Fiesta Si. Nice.
DanLovesClubbing
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Excursion on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:04 am

DanLovesClubbing :Would these be the Eibach springs you are referring to?

They're the badgers! Thought they may have been discontinuted.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:55 pm

DanLovesClubbing :

You're a hero too! :lol: Could not find them any where! Cheaper than I looked elsewhere too... :Q

scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Postby DanLovesClubbing on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:13 pm

scarlet_pimp_mobile :
DanLovesClubbing :

You're a hero too! :lol: Could not find them any where! Cheaper than I looked elsewhere too... :Q

Glad to help! Let me know what they're like as I might be interested in getting some when I've got some spare cash.
2.0 Zetec Fiesta Si. Nice.
DanLovesClubbing
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby wildheart on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:32 am

I have the spax fixed rate kit on my fez and its a right bone shaker :lol:

Can put up with it though as it has transformed the handling.

I wouldnt exactley say the spax kit is more for track use though!
Its to soft for track use.

But i do find it a good compromise between a good road/occasional track use setup.

3dr Sierra Cosworth Track car
S1 Escort RS Turbo
wildheart
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 3dr Cosworth,S1 RST,Fiesta XR2

Postby Maff Si on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Eibach springs are the daddies

got em on my Si with KYB dampers

if ya can afford it couple em with Koni or Bilsteins
No Filler Nova Killer - Goes Like A Bomb
When I'm not here I'm somewhere else
Maff Si
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Nothing til end of the month

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.