Compression Ratio's

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Compression Ratio's

Postby Chetski on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:30 pm

Hello! i dont really post on here very often but seeing as you all seem to know alot more than i do about engines can someone fill me in on compression ratios?

I own a 2002 fiesta zetec-s modd'd with a T25 turbo an other bits. I want to run more boost as im only on about half a bar max. As the zetec-s is a "high compression" engine as standard what would i need to do to change it?

Do i need to raise or lower the compression ratio to get more power?

What is it at standard an what should it be if i moddified it?

i dont want to bore the engine as its alloy with a special coating im told it would seriously damage the valves; so would i need to use a thick head head gasket to lift the head up slightly if so is this reliable or just a bodge job way of doing it?

where can i get uprated pistons from an what spec would they need to be?

would the care be reliable if i change the compession ratio, i dont want to have a rebuild every 5k miles!

Thanks Chetski
Chetski
Poster
Poster

Re: Compression Ratio's

Postby snake on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:12 pm

Chetski :Hello! i dont really post on here very often but seeing as you all seem to know alot more than i do about engines can someone fill me in on compression ratios?

I own a 2002 fiesta zetec-s modd'd with a T25 turbo an other bits. I want to run more boost as im only on about half a bar max. As the zetec-s is a "high compression" engine as standard what would i need to do to change it? depends on boost u want to run, low comp pistons may be available, but they will end up with thin crowns, not wot u want for turbo application, best bet if your serious is custom pistons and stell short rods made to spec. pistons u have at the mo aint forged and cannot run high boost, esp with comp ratio u are runnin

Do i need to raise or lower the compression ratio to get more power?
lower compression to run more boost

What is it at standard an what should it be if i moddified it?
standard is 10.5-1 i think, mite be 10-1, wot comp ratio u want depends on how much boost u want to run, and how much u are prepared to spend-ie intake coolers, fueling, mappable chip

i dont want to bore the engine as its alloy with a special coating im told it would seriously damage the valves; so would i need to use a thick head head gasket to lift the head up slightly if so is this reliable or just a bodge job way of doing it? think head gasket, spacer plates are bodges, urm how can boring the cylinder slightly damage the valves lol, but yeah stick to the bore.

where can i get uprated pistons from an what spec would they need to be?
depends on wot power u want and boost u want, quite a few companies out their who do this, rods i can get made to spec

would the care be reliable if i change the compession ratio, i dont want to have a rebuild every 5k miles!
only as reliable as the person who builds the engine

Thanks Chetski
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Chetski on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:10 pm

snake - whats the point your tryin to make?
Chetski
Poster
Poster

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:54 pm

Not sure if you missed it, I did at first thinking he had just quoted your message, but if you look closely he's answered your questions.

A very lazy way of replying!! ;)

I've made his answers bold now.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby Chetski on Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:11 am

oohhh right, cheers!
Chetski
Poster
Poster

Postby snake on Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:37 pm

lol, oopsy :P yeah was bein lazy :P :P
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby Chris_H on Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:20 pm

Why do you want more boost? To show off a swinging needle to your mates?

Lower the CR to enable more power on a turbo but at a cost.

If by bore the engine I assume you don't mean reading it newspaper article but to increase the capacity you will only serve to increase the CR if you retain similar piston design and standard CC volume.

Thicker head gaskets, spacer plates are a bodge, yes they will enable you to run more boost and may give you a higher output, but the squish area will be opened right up making the car less driveable.

Proper way to lower the CR is to enlarge the combustion chamber, few ways you can do this, you can open up the chamber in the head which on pent roof 4 valve chambers isn't easy or dish the piston.

Piston spec, well it will need to be a dished piston (not a standard one skimmed) this allows you to retain a nice squish area, you also want the top ring to be further down the piston.
Chris_H
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Chetski on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:29 pm

Chris_H

you seem to know what your talking about, i was wondering where i could get more information about it an any places you know off whos good at this kinda stuff?

much appreciated!
Chetski
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.