Couple of 1.25 zetec questions (NEW QUESTIONS)

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Couple of 1.25 zetec questions (NEW QUESTIONS)

Postby laggass on Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Ive had my 2001 1.25 zetec for about a month now and have just got hold of £600 to spend on anything, about £200 will be going towards new speakers and ive already paid £85 for a K&N induction kit. I need to know form other peoples experience if the induction kit is any good as ive heard some people say it actually had a negative effect on performance rather than good. Is there any truth to this at all as my main reason for buying was for a slightly better engine note but i dont want any negative effects.

My other question is regards to exhausts, in your opinion whats the best way to achieve a nice throaty exhaust note, with a full cat back system or just a decent back box. I know that again performance gains will be minimal with either but whats the best way to get a nicer sound baring in mind i dont wanna spend over £200-250 on the exhaust.

Oh yea one more thing, does anyone have any other advice on cheap and easy mods to make the car sound or perform any better,

thanks alot.
Last edited by laggass on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laggass
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby p4blo on Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:48 pm

The disadvantage with a k&n cone filter is you will get whats called heat soak where the heat from the engine warms the air entering the filter, which of course is bad as it means lower density thus less power. However this isnt a big issue as when you are moving along and getting air flowing through the engine bay the effect should be negligable, and of course the benefit of having the cone filter and thus more air entering the engine helps to outweigh the disadvantage.

As for the exhuast, if you can afford it you are better off going with a cat back system, I tend to find backbox only systems boomy, but for £250 you can probably buy a new cat back system, failing that, less than £200 will buy you a very good condition 2nd hand one :)
p4blo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby laggass on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks for your help,

ok ive been looking around various tuning based websites and found a few things that look very tempting to me. http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ This website has some good info and products on offer.

I'm thinking of going for a mongoose exhaust system as they look like the mutts nutts, do any of you know the cheapest place to get one from? that website has them for £230 odd which is about the best ive seen so far.

Also i'm liking the idea of a powerchip especially as its as easy as plugging a chip into my ecu and only £150 Have any of you tried one of these for yourself if so how good are they? Do they give a good performance boost? (ive seen 86hp quoted by powermaps from a standard 75 which sounds pretty sweet)

Also are boost valves a good idea, they seem pretty cheap and simple to use and give a slight gain, does it give a big negative effect on fuel economy or not (not that im to fussed)

One final thing if i were to fit all these to my standard 1.25 zetec-s is there any chance that there could be damage done to other standard components?

Cheers. :Q
laggass
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby sailorbob on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:37 pm

In addition to the heat soak problem mentioned above, the oil can contaminate the wires of the MAF sensor causing running problems. Another issue with altering any part of the inlet tract is that Ford calibrate the MAF for the flow through it all (i.e. not just the MAF) and changing any part can cause the air mass to be misread.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:03 pm

laggass :I'm thinking of going for a mongoose exhaust system as they look like the mutts nutts, do any of you know the cheapest place to get one from? that website has them for £230 odd which is about the best ive seen so far.

Superb exhaust but you have to ask yourself whether it will be over the top. If you want it though go for it, superb bit of kit.

laggass :Also i'm liking the idea of a powerchip especially as its as easy as plugging a chip into my ecu and only £150 Have any of you tried one of these for yourself if so how good are they? Do they give a good performance boost? (ive seen 86hp quoted by powermaps from a standard 75 which sounds pretty sweet)

You should see a noticeable improvement but it won't be a huge kick in the back so don't expect a massive difference. For £150 though you can't go far wrong and it should last longer than a hangover which is where you should spend the cash if not on your car :wink:

laggass :Also are boost valves a good idea, they seem pretty cheap and simple to use and give a slight gain, does it give a big negative effect on fuel economy or not (not that im to fussed)

Power Boost valves are fookin s**t. Avoid like you would dipping your nads into the pet pirhana tank at feeding time

laggass :One final thing if i were to fit all these to my standard 1.25 zetec-s is there any chance that there could be damage done to other standard components?

The relatively minimal hike in power should cause no further issues unless parts are on their way out anyway.

Hope this is of help mate :)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby sailorbob on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:31 pm

laggass :ive seen 86hp quoted by powermaps from a standard 75
Will they guarantee that if you rolling roaded it before and after? Call me a cynic but it's a lot to get out of a 1.25l unless you have to run super unleaded all the time. There's not al lot you can do fuelling wise with a modern ecu, any power gain is from spark advance.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby laggass on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:44 pm

sailorbob :In addition to the heat soak problem mentioned above, the oil can contaminate the wires of the MAF sensor causing running problems. Another issue with altering any part of the inlet tract is that Ford calibrate the MAF for the flow through it all (i.e. not just the MAF) and changing any part can cause the air mass to be misread.

the heat soak shouldnt be a problem as it came with a cold air intake pipe so i'm hoping that'll keep it cool. Plus i have no idea what your other points mean, as far as oil goes the cone has been pre oiled and ready for install and the only sensor i can see looks like it reads the airfow below where the induction kit will be installed so it shouldnt interfere i hope.
laggass
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby sailorbob on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:59 pm

the MAF sensor definitely goes after the air filter, it wouldn'y last very long without filtered air.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby laggass on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:28 am

got the induction kit fitted now, cant believe how much deeper the engine note is, very impressed. Think at lower speeds there's a noticeable performance improvement but it fades away as you get faster, not tried top speed yet to see how it effects that.

Also no sign of any MAF problems as of yet, so fingers crossed that will stay fine.

Now which to buy next, exhaust or ECU chip??
laggass
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.