couple of questions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

couple of questions

Postby Marc D on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 am

ive got a mk3 1.6s and ive warped my front discs and the pads keep fading under hard use. ive bought some ebc green stuff pads but im just wondering, my brother can get me some evosport grilled and grooved discs really cheap from work as there is a clearout but im worried incase there cheap and nasty and will crack under hard use. are the discs ok or will they crack? also im running a 40mm drop on a spax kit but i need 2 new rear shocks as one is f**cked and i had to replace it with the standard. i want to go 60 as 40 is not low enough as my car is stripped out and i just want to know will dropping it 60 make the handling better or worse and will i start breaking lower arms and pulling out drive shafts etc?

cheers
At least i dont drive a saxo!!
Marc D
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: fiesta xr2, xr2i and rs turbo

Postby Chris 2i on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:30 pm

drilled discs aren't all that tbh, I've heard of them breaking because of the holes. My mates ERST had cracks around the holes on his, but no catastrophic failure.

lowering the car by 60mm will almost certainly mean you'll be replacing lower arms a lot. The ride will be harsher and handling may be compromised, but I've heard of people saying the handling is improved so I can't say for sure.

Personally I'd not lower the car more than 40mm unless I had at least coilovers and polybushes (and possibly rose-jointed lower arms too) then I'd get it professionally set up to make the most of it.
Chris 2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jonezy on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:38 pm

40 mm will give better hndling thn 60mm. below 40 mm nd you trsh ll the preset geometry nd shgs the hndling, better thn stndr but -40mm will be better.
Jonezy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Marc D on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm

fair doos will stick with 40mm drop then and just get new rear shocks. are the discs worth getting then? only £40 and i managed to get a set of new green stuff pads for £25. also should i change the fluid as well?

cheers
At least i dont drive a saxo!!
Marc D
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: fiesta xr2, xr2i and rs turbo

Postby Jay on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:59 am

I wouldnt bother with the discs mate.. the ebc's are well known for destroying brake discs... I'd settle with a fresh set of standard discs tbh..

Formerly Jay246
Jay
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1992 Ford Fiesta RS 1800

Postby Oranoco on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:22 pm

New standard discs and not EBC pads as they are famous for being s**t. Mintex 1144 pads will be a far better option

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.