Drilling the airbox

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby LeeB on Sun Sep 30, 2001 4:43 am

Does it make any difference? I was thinking about getting a k&n panel filter & then putting a few holes in the bottom of the airbox.
Also,are there any differences between the filters for my car (1.6Si) and an FRST,[ERRR] i know where there is a brand new one going cheap but it's for a FRST,but it's no good getting it if it won't fit.
Thanx,Lee
LeeB
Post Master
Post Master

Postby fiestamodman on Sun Sep 30, 2001 4:53 am

dont know if this helps mate buty my last engine was a 1.1. and had the air box drilled when i bought it, i thought it was very slightly better than my mates engine which was identical (except for holes) although this could be 100 different other things . i say it dont hurt so do it! :smile:
fiestamodman
Poster
Poster

Postby LeeB on Sun Sep 30, 2001 6:43 am

Also,is it worth buying a k&n or similar replacement filter,or will a standard filter be just as good in a drilled airbox?
LeeB
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Robz_Fester on Sun Sep 30, 2001 7:10 am

Buy a K&N mate if your gonna drill the box, I've got it drilled with standard and no difference at all to tell the truth. Like fiestamodman though I drilled me 1.1 and I'm sure it made a difference......

The Turbo one WON'T fit mate trust me. You got the ICV inbetween the box and the inlet pipe (a metal bit with a connector on the top) which means the hole in the cone has to be much bigger to accomodate this...

HTH, Rob. :bonkers:
Robz_Fester
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FRS_Steve on Sun Sep 30, 2001 3:23 pm

Rob - Where did u drill the 1.1 box and how big?

Cheers :grin:
ImageImage
FRS_Steve
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Robz_Fester on Sun Sep 30, 2001 5:59 pm

For the 1.1 2 things should be done:

1) Take off that $hitty restricting tube bit which stics out of the airbox. This will take much beating and pulling to get it out. Worth it though.... then buy some air ducting from Halfords etc and run thi from a suitable place in the front of the engine bay (where it will receieve plenty of air) and attach that to the hole in the airbox which was left from the $hitty pipe bit.

2) If you do that not much point in drillin, but if you do want to drill the underneath of the airbox about 8mm holes, but MAKE SURE ITS OUTSIDE THE CIRCULAR FILTER. Otherwise you'll be bypassing the filter, which would defeat the object of having one........ :bonkers:

HTH, Rob.
Robz_Fester
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FRS_Steve on Mon Oct 01, 2001 12:29 pm

Cheers, I'll take a look at that some time, I'll probably just do the pipe thing, not much point drilling the bottom that will just be drawing warm air in :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fiesta_Steve on 2001-10-01 12:31 ]</font>
FRS_Steve
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JamieFRST on Mon Oct 01, 2001 12:37 pm

I drilled my air box b 4 i got a piper x filter, it made more noise when it was drilled, but i don't know if it makes n e difference to power, if you do drill it don't go to mad! :wink:
JamieFRST
Keep It Tidy
Keep It Tidy

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby TJ on Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:46 am

Instead of drilling holes, get yourself a good panel filter,
remove the bottom of the airbox completely,

bin your old panel filter, and replace with your new one.
Use silicon, and silicon your new panel filter into position, ensuring that this is done well, without any gaps.

The engine is more responsive, and the growl is unbelievable.
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby LeeB on Tue Oct 02, 2001 11:59 am

Have you done this TJ? I have got a k&n replacement panel to fit in the airbox,and I decided to scrap the drilling idea.The next plan was to run a piece of that flexi pipe stuff from under the bumper to the bottom of the airbox,thus creating another inlet. Unfortunately upon closer inspection I have noticed that there is actually little to zero space to carry this out :sad:
Are there any downsides to removing the base of the airbox?
Thanx,lee
LeeB
Post Master
Post Master

Postby TJ on Wed Oct 03, 2001 2:40 am

I wouldnt think there would be any problems, as it surely lets in about the same amount of air as an induction kit.
But you must make sure that the panel is securely, siliconed into position, to stop anything getting in.

It Sounds awesome.

No i havent done it, because i cant afford the petrol at the moment, nevermind fitting a air filter.
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby G-Forze on Wed Oct 03, 2001 11:28 am

This is a good idea!

I was looking for a Induction kit for a 1.3 HSC engine, but found out that there (so far I know) none is available. So I thought I had to stay by just a replacement.

Now I see new opportunities! :grin:
G-Forze
Poster
Poster

Postby TJ on Thu Oct 04, 2001 2:36 am

Let me know if anyone does this and what they think of it please.
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Saint on Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:07 am

I might have a go at this in the next couple of days on my 2i. I'll let yez know what its like. :smile:
Saint
Poster
Poster

Postby G-Forze on Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:14 am

Guess we just have to await the results then..... (pictures?! :razz: )

Good Luck
G-Forze
Poster
Poster

Postby xrsi on Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:00 pm

induction on a 1.3 hsc? not a carb is it????

If it's a carb then thats the reason u cant get induction kit :rolleyes:

Sure with a bit of work a induction kit could be made to work (if injection) :Q
xrsi
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI
XR(ustyAtTheMo)SI

Postby Saint on Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:30 pm

I'll take some pictures, but it will be a while before I can post them [ERRR] it takes me a while to be bothered to do anything :Q
Saint
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.