enclosed air filters

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

enclosed air filters

Postby mjhmjh2 on Tue May 30, 2006 1:01 pm

The megasquirt is now all up and running with the 2.0 zetec.

One of the problems we've come across is pinking under high load when the engine is hot. The Manifold air temp is hitting 65 degrees which is a bit hot me thinks.

The location of the K&N is perfect for sucking up the hot air enclosed in the engine bay so I've been looking to get one of those enclosed air filter jobbies so I can take a feed directly from the front of the car.

I had a quick look at the K&N apollo which is just the ticket but rather expensive! Now can I just build a box with a pipe for the K&N to sit in and then feed up a pipe to it?

Are there any other cheaper alternatives - double figures rather than 3 figures would be preferable!!!

Thanks
Matt
mjhmjh2
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Tue May 30, 2006 3:10 pm

long length of hose to the front of the car = cheap ass induction kit it will help you get cold air from the front of the car an yes you probably could build up an airbox for it to sit in but you would have to be pretty handy at manufiacturing stuff from scratch
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mjhmjh2 on Tue May 30, 2006 5:00 pm

well if I can build a kit car and completly rebuild a 2.0 zetec with the help of a friend (or was that me helping the friend most likely!), a little bit of glass fibre fabrication shouldn't be too much hassle.. however I am of course slightly concerned about the size the box needs to be and stuff such as tuned length as I don't want to create more problems.

Matthew
mjhmjh2
Poster
Poster

Postby edders on Tue May 30, 2006 10:21 pm

i would have thought that you would have been better off just making a heatshield for it and buying an induction kit or making one

also if were boasting about kit cars then why dont you try hand building the chasis from scratch then having to rebuild 2 xflow engines a pinto and a v6
4 seperate gearboxes and an almost complete overhaul of a transit van and a sierra
(although only one xflow was used the others still had to be donefor other projects and actually making the van and sierra serviceable again)
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby mjhmjh2 on Tue May 30, 2006 11:11 pm

well the problem is the bonnet isn't vented particularly well so a heatshield is going to have little effect after it's fully heatsoaked or whatever the terminology is. There is already a K&N induction kit, that doesn't get the filter low enough so the idea is to move it lower (pref just infront of the gearbox, however that's likely to get road dirt so thought 2 was to enclose it with a cold air feed going directly to the enclosure.. OK it'll heat up a little but it won't be able to draw in hot air from under the bonnet so hopefully will keep MAT low.

I've contemplated a few designs.. the best one I've got in my head involves machining up some aluminium for the present filter to sit in and then a shroud which bolts down onto it.

We'll see. I may just make something in plastic to prove the concept as I should be able to get the MAT feedback from the ecu and log that over a long journey. A traffic cone looks like the perfect starting point! :o

I may even post pictures when I'm done lol

Matthew
mjhmjh2
Poster
Poster

Postby Pez on Wed May 31, 2006 12:42 am

The easiest option would be, knock up a pipe from the throttle body to where you want to situate the filter, down in front of the gearbox is a sensible area, and make sure its plenty far away from the gearbox. Then to make a heat shield, just bend some sheet aluminium around, rivet (or weld if possible) a couple of backets onto the shield so it can be clamped around the induction pipe. Sounds a bizarre description, but if you imagine say, a washing up liquid bottle, cut half the side of the bottle away, and the filter will sit inside nicely withplenty of air feed and somewhere up top for the air to get to the engine.

Sound feasible? Shouldn't be too difficult to knock up :)
Pez
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.