Engine Modification. How to get the best out of my si?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Engine Modification. How to get the best out of my si?

Postby McGoo 69 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:58 pm

Right i have a 1.6 si and its done about 95k. I want to ad a induction kit, silicone hose and maybe cams and other bits to give it that little bit more.

Now as its done 95k is it wise to change the pistons and some other parts what wear so the extra speed wont damage the engine?

Basicly whats the best way to tune my 1.6 si engine?

Matty
FIESTA EURO CARBON TRACK PROJECT: fiesta-project-no2-euro-carbon-track-day-update-vt163948/

FIESTA RS PARTS FOR SALE: post1656736/#p1656736[/url]
McGoo 69
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: *

Postby mmorgan88 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Drop it out and 2 litre it, as im sure everyone will tell you
mmorgan88
Post Master
Post Master

Postby McGoo 69 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:42 pm

yes that is a option but as its my first car insurance wont alow it.

I dont want to spend loads on it, just wnat it to run better and have more poke/go
FIESTA EURO CARBON TRACK PROJECT: fiesta-project-no2-euro-carbon-track-day-update-vt163948/

McGoo 69
Post Master
Post Master

Postby mickylee on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:57 pm

McGoo 69 :yes that is a option but as its my first car insurance wont alow it.

I dont want to spend loads on it, just wnat it to run better and have more poke/go

will probably work out cheaper to chuck a 2l in it than tune your 1.6, especially as your planning on stripping internals....
mickylee
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ollybee on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:58 pm

McGoo 69 :yes that is a option but as its my first car insurance wont alow it.

Then wait until it is allowed. Spending money on the 1.6 is pointless.
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby Jonezy on Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:59 pm

nitrous!! as much as i think its a bad idea
Jonezy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HCS PIMP on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:04 pm

i apologise for the weridos

Get the 1.8 throttel boddy its a straight swap meanign better air flow

exhaust a gd place but can be deer as can cams but try a gd cat back one

Then next spark leads from magnecor and spark plugs

then gd oil and try running v power all the time

http://www.potn.com have good induction kits

and anything esl try my blog on genral discusion titlled my new si 1.6 where to start
2.1 Went BANGGGGG now a Ghia 1800
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jonezy on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:19 pm

how much performae will that gain

i think most of that wil be used in correcting the mixture flowed by the throttle body,

will be quite resonsve and sound well good tho.

just so you know and im ready to be corrected but the weakness of the 1.6 si is in the cylinder head and its valves and work on sortin this is £500 + apparently
Jonezy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HCS PIMP on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:35 pm

thats life but sorting flat spots gd till you get the 1.8 zetec turbo though
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby adam_frst on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:40 pm

seems pointless doing anything to the 1.6 mate, to be honest the power gains you will get and the money you will spend will be just not worth it, phone around and see if anyone will insure you if you do the 2.0 conversion, its well worth it and a lot more power is available, thats why you see so many si owners doing it :wink:
adam_frst
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HCS PIMP on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I ahve the 1.1 hcs i spent about 1k on it and you notic a massive difference you guys its all about the cubic capasity not the fact you wanna stick to a 1.6 or a small engine and have some fun with that no has to be a 2.0 zetec or mondeo lump with a turbo and a set of rs turbo rims a copy c at rs turbo body kit and arches 17" mondeo rim or 7 spoke cossy ones and a big set of brakes lower it too far and thne crash when a polo hits you I hate people who always go on about having a huge engine enjoy the 1.6 mate and if you wnanna talk sense about mod email me redsparrow2k@hotmail.com as im doing up my si next month so i can advise when i do mine and vise versa

2.0 litre lovers i agree more power less cash more fun but end of the day buy an evo 8 - x the fq 320 thats more power for under 30k and AWD SAYC fiesta turbo all about the turbo why not try supercharging you hadges
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby adam_frst on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:54 pm

i could spend 1000 quid on a 1.1 fiesta and notice a huge difference, it would have a 2.0 zvh in it that i know of that for sale :lol:
adam_frst
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdamB on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:59 am

i had a made who spent £700 on his 1.6 si and it was still only as fast as my 1.25, and he would admit to that as well, he spent £800 on purchasing and fitting a 2.0 and it goes like s**t off a shovel.

best thing was his insurance hardly changed.
AdamB
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Smo on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:00 pm

HCS PIMP :i apologise for the weridos

and anything esl try my blog on genral discusion titlled my new si 1.6 where to start

What do you mean by "i apologise for the weridos" ?

If you're suggesting that the posters above are weirdos (or weridos as you have typed it) for recommending going the 2.0 route, I'm guessing you haven't driven a 2.0 Fiesta, have you?...

The 1.6 head is seriously restrictive and will never make any power that's worth the money spent on it.

And how can you compare an Evo to a Fiesta? Do you actually know how little money needs to be spent on an Si to make it a 2.0? I know people who have done it for less than £100. Try doing the mods you suggested on the 1.6 for less than that :wink: Most of any gain you notice will be purely from effectively replacing service-items... Leads, plugs, oil, air filter, etc are usually all over-looked on a car like an Si and so are normally holding the car back a little.

Also, which 1.8 throttle body are you recommending? You know there are two different sizes, don't you? And may be another, depending on what the 115PS version uses (although I believe it's the same size as the 105PS version - which, in all honesty, I can't believe is actually much larger, if at all, than a 1.6 one).

Buying a brand new cat-back system will almost definitely cost more than a nice low mileage sensibly-priced 2.0 series 1 or 2 engine. I know which I'd rather do :)

I think you should take a 2.0 MK3 out for a little test drive... I have a feeling you'll be shocked at how slow it will make your 1.6 feel, even with those mods, and for such less money. Oh, and then you might actually have a chance with a smaller-engined A8 (from another post of yours), which is actually being driven hard :)
Smo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus

Postby Ollybee on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:06 pm

:lol: @ HCS PIMP
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby McGoo 69 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:59 pm

thanks for that peeps. Think ill just get a new exhaust system for it and a induction and leave it a few months then drop a 2.0 in it.

Or maybe even a cossi lol

Thanks For the info it does seam pointless modding my 1.6 when i can drop a 2.0 in it

matty

McGoo 69
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:07 pm

Anothger point that many people haven't picked up on is the simple fact that the 1.6 Zetec engine as found in the Si does not respond well to tuning.

Bung an induction kit on and a back box and then leave it well alone until you can afford to do an engine swap or change the car.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Rusey on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:23 pm

HCS PIMP Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i apologise for the weridos

:rolleyes: Gota be joking?? 2.0 is the only real way forward if you have an Si and want half decent power.
As for going forward with your car, personally I would stick with the 1.6 for now and leave the engine - get it looking and handling how you want it :)

Let be honest, when I (and most on here) first passed my test I had a slugish 1.3 HCS (Si Rep) and would have dreamed of an Si, so your damn lucky!!

I waited a year till I was 18 and bought a Turbo, well worth the wait :devil:
Rusey
Post Master
Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Oranoco :Anothger point that many people haven't picked up on is the simple fact that the 1.6 Zetec engine as found in the Si does not respond well to tuning.

Bung an induction kit on and a back box and then leave it well alone until you can afford to do an engine swap or change the car.
As orancooco said! If he hasn't been driving to long just get good behind the wheel first then go for power don't spend to much on your first car save up for the 2.0 or frst
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby jdfiesta on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:46 pm

HCS PIMP :i apologise for the weridos

with all them mods, you might be able to aqueeze 95bhp

:lol:

that post made me laugh so much
just do minimal mods to the 1.6, things that can be kept when 2.0 is put in. a heavily modified 1.6 would probably cost more to insure than a 2.0 converted one aswell
JJ
My ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/2.0zetec

Is that the best you can do?
www.volvot5.co.uk - www.germanshepherdsuk.co.uk
2000 V70 T5 SE - 2.3, 5 cylinder, 20V, VVT, Turbo, 250bhp, cream leather, climate control, the works!
jdfiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: V70 T5

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.