ERST exhaust manifold fitting to zetec

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

ERST exhaust manifold fitting to zetec

Postby The Gilly on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:03 pm

guys,

I am aware you can just drill and tap the head to accept the erst manifold but I would like to have a lazer cut manifold plate welded on instead.

Here's the plate I'd like to use:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=020

Has anyone done this before? if so do you have a pic?

i want to be sure that the cast erst manifold will be able to be welded to a mild steel plate

Cheers

Gilly
does my big look arse in this?
The Gilly
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: ERST exhaust manifold fitting to zetec

Postby H41-NSF on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 pm

mate tham plates are crap the guy who drew them up on the machine didnt even remove the little grooves for the cat pipes on the zetec manifold and these will overlap outside the erst manifold (crap) . If you want a proper plate then pm me as i have the correct plates here and i always use them on my conversions. They work perfectly. I'll load up some pics tommorow.

EDIT heres the pics just look at the quality of my plates, I have many of these so pm me if needed. they are 25 posted.

Image Image
H41-NSF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Chris. Rather than running the gauntlet that is welding steel to cast iron, we choose to make up a stainless steel tubular manifold with stainless T3 turbo and Zetec head flanges. The manifold is made on a jig, ensuring that it is a direct, bolt-in replacement for the ERST manifold, and stops this nasty practise of drilling and tapping the Zetec head. The price is £475 - far dearer than buying a mild steel plate and having it welded to a cast iron manifold, but it's a solid option, and one you may not have been aware of :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby H41-NSF on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Its not the best thing in the world welding steel to cast iron but its not a poor quality cast iron its tough stuff. I have never had one crack before and its just a mig jobbie and it holds solid.
Image Image
H41-NSF
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 2.0zetec on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 am

wouldn't it be better to use an arc welder with dissimilar rods or just braze the plates on as mig welding cools to quickly and goes brittle?
2.0zetec
Poster
Poster

Postby crazycage on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:53 pm

does anyone do the plate in stainless ??
crazycage
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Captain Tightpants on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:10 pm

If it's not cracked, it will.

It's only a whim and a prayer that it hasn't so far. Welding any cast iron, using any sort of arc process is not ideal for an exhaust manifold.

I'm sure any sensible engineering company should be able to make them in stainless for you if you wanted one, they are as easy to make in stainless as they are in ms if they are being laser cut.

Steve
Captain Tightpants
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby freak power on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm

I can do the flanges in stainless
Now driving a 1999 Audi S3 with 2.1 20v OD HTAGT3582r Turbo

Bring on the 650+Bhp 4x4 monster
freak power
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.