[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Exhaust Options : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Exhaust Options

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Exhaust Options

Postby bcracknell on Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:44 pm

I'm after getting a custom exhaust made from someone like longlife etc.

Now I have a 2" scorpion at the moment and am told it's resticting exhaust gas flow cos it's too small.
the new options are 2 1/2" bore or 3" bore....what's the best one to go for?
I've heard I'll loose torque with a 3"
bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:01 pm

Go for as big a bore as will fit.

Back pressure on a turbo = bad, you only need to be careful with bore sizes on an NA engine.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby AdrianFRST on Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:03 pm

3" should be plenty though, anything bigger than a 3" won't offer much of an advantage compared to the fitting hassle and cost.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:16 pm

3" all the way mate i was told by ahmed bayjoo and ian howell that it would be fine so i took there word for it and my car hasnt lost any power if anything its gained :o
:D
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby GavStyli on Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:32 pm

Most people go for a mongoose, or a quiet magnex if your an old git like me :lol:
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby bcracknell on Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm

3" it is then....just hope its not TOO load as I still want to be able to get on track at castle combe, silverstone, goodwood etc..

anyone heard anything good/bad about longlife exhausts? or any other suggestions? nowhere too north of London though please
bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TJ on Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:38 pm

You may have problems getting longlife to make a 3" one, my mate wanted one, and they said they couldnt do it, and it wasnt worth it anyway, i had a go saying yes it was because of the back pressure, then they went off and said ok, but it'll cost more.
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:14 pm

I do know powerflow cant do 3" as they cant bend that size as i asked :(
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bcracknell on Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:55 am

Longlife have said a 3" is too big - no mid range torque but what do they know, but they said they would do one for £399......are they any good though? dont want to shell out £399 and find out its not very good.
bcracknell
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:12 am

A bigger exhaust causes the turbo to spin up more rapidly (the Scoobies etc.. don't have like baloon shaped downpipes for nothing), due to lesser back pressure.. giving you power at a lower RPM..

So i guess a 3" would do well..
But..
make sure the bends of the downpipe aren't like a T2 mongoose .. or you will scrape it for sure on the first speedbump you will meet..

A friend of mine already managed to have to replace his due to this.. and his FRST wasn't even lowered..

I myself have a Magnex exhaust.. sounds nice.. (the 4" backbox isn't made anymore at magnex so i have a 3")

The standard T3 downpipe almost fits perfectly (had to cut of the flange and extend it with just 4" )
")
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MadcatCraig on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:26 pm

most FRST systems are 2.5"

no one made a 3" off the shelf system as std

my mongoose is 2.5
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby Jur on Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:45 pm

So if you want a 3" system you have to let them make a 3" system starting with the downpipe ..

Inox has one dis-advantage ... it doesn't spread the heat easily.
So the heat will build up in the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe..

To prevent the exhaust manifold/turbo form cracking.. make sure they make a good and fixed downpipe support (to your gearbox) ..

In this way the exhaust and turbo aren't hanging on the exhaust manifold.. but the downpipe supports te turbo .. and thus releaving the exhaust manifold from stress.. thus.. not cracking that fast ..
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TJ on Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:45 pm

Ive got a longlife, and ive got no complaints!

On the fez or on the Gti!

And fezzymk3.5 got one two!
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MOONDUST FRST on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:28 pm

Jur :Inox has one dis-advantage ... it doesn't spread the heat easily.

If thats correct then just use something like themotec heatwrap for the manifold and tubby like i have which helps to disperse the hot gasses faster.

http://www.thermotec.com
MOONDUST FRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Mexi on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:01 pm

Stealth systems in Southampton are good :)
Mexi
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TJ on Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:54 am

I will recommend longlife, but looking at this work, i think its worth the trip up there!!
No bends in the metal, simple welds!!

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/viewto ... ht=tube%2A

Looks awesome too!
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jur on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:10 pm

MOONDUST FRST :
Jur :Inox has one dis-advantage ... it doesn't spread the heat easily.

If thats correct then just use something like themotec heatwrap for the manifold and tubby like i have which helps to disperse the hot gasses faster.

http://www.thermotec.com

This wrap is used to INSULATE in stead of disperse the heat.. so you get even MORE builtup of heat..... but it doesn't cool off that fast..

The steel/cast iron can therefor disperse the stress better.. and will not crack that fast .. ..

But..
why spend plenty of money.. when a sollution of 30 min work.. and 10 quid of material will have the same benifit (the preventing of cracking)
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SWZS on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:30 pm

On a slightly different note, I have got a zs and now want to get a cat back exhaust, but will i see any advantages of a proper hand made system, made from small welded sections as opposed to a powerflow, long pipe piep, which will have kinks etc. And the company that does the hand made ones, they use mild steel and ss, i have heard mild is a nicer note than ss, but any other differences, i know ss wont rust.
Is it also worth upping the bore slighlty, I know you shouldnt have a large bore on n/a engines but there must be an optimum size, as i plan to fit cams, nos maybe TBs.

Any advice is welcomed

Dan
SWZS
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby TJ on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:33 pm

Probably not worth the bigger bore.

Dont trust powerflow!
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SWZS on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Surely Powerflow and Longlife are one and the same, i.e the way they make their exhausts ? and it must be more down to each specific dealer/garage ?

Why you say dont trust them TJ ?

Pricewise, Powerflow 200-250 for cat bak
Handmade, 280 mild and 380+ ss

Its a lot of money, what will the gains be like for both, I know the quality will differ greatly !!

Dan
SWZS
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby TJ on Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:48 pm

SWZS :Surely Powerflow and Longlife are one and the same, i.e the way they make their exhausts ? and it must be more down to each specific dealer/garage ?

Why you say dont trust them TJ ?

Pricewise, Powerflow 200-250 for cat bak
Handmade, 280 mild and 380+ ss

Its a lot of money, what will the gains be like for both, I know the quality will differ greatly !!

Dan

Ive just heard so much bad stuff about powerflow!

At the end of the day, you pay for what you get. I know id rather pay the extra and get a quality system. And ive spent out enough on exhausts!
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.