Exhaust?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Exhaust?

Postby Fez4MJ on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 am

Hey,

Im seriously considering a new exhaust as my 1st proper mod towards making my mk4 fez a bit more satisfying to me lol.

I also had a look underneith the car and its basically orange with rust so thats another excuse for it, because the current exhaust and backbox looks fugly.

Can anybody give me any advice? I dont really wanna spend over £100 if can be helped.
I dont want 1 that I can fit my head in, I just want a respectable size that will obviously make the car look nicer and will produce a bit of a meaty noise, but not overly loud.

Plus im no mechanic so I will be getting it fitted by kwikfit or similar place :p - anybody know of the sort of prices they charage?

Any advice on brands etc.?

Thanks!
Fez4MJ
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Location: Essex - Birthplace of the white emulsion painted Nova :P

Postby buggynut on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:34 pm

you dont need to be a mechanic to fit an exhaust.

i have no mechanical experience but got stuck in.

if you want to keep the cost down fit it yourself. That way you will learn and know your car better.

i saved £50, by fitting my exhaust my self.

my exhaust was a full system so yours should be easier and quick to fit if you just get a back box.
buggynut
Poster
Poster

Postby markanswrth on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:09 pm

i'm in the same position as you and you'll be struggling to get a new full cat-back system for 100quid, but i recently went to a motorsport show and spoke to a few people and for the price a few people said Ashley exhausts are supposed to be excellent value/quality. try rallydesign.co.uk u'll pick up a system for about £110 plus VAT

as for fitting the thing its not hard if youve got somewhere to get under it and getting the old one off as its most probably rusted on tight. as for fitting cost i'd probably say around 50-60 quid dependin on where u go

hope that helps
mark
markanswrth
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby hb69 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:05 pm

hi

i would recommend a piper backbox. makes a nice rumble and sounds sweet when you put your foot right down.go for the stainless steel type though, lifetime guarantee.

fitting it isnt difficult at all.save time and money by doing it yourself. it should just be a case of unbolting the clamp, taking the old backbox off, putting the new one on and thightening up the clamp. if it doesnt come off to easily just spray a bit of WD40 on it.

hope that helps :)
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby buggynut on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:58 pm

if you cant afford a new one look on ebay.

i bought my full magnex system on there and was nearly brand new, only done 15 miles on the car for just over £100
buggynut
Poster
Poster

Postby hudz_si on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:05 am

I got a Scorpion full system 2nd hand off eBay for £70 really good condition! I'd seriously look on eBay.
hudz_si
Poster
Poster

Postby Fez4MJ on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:37 am

Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I would attempt to do it myself but I really have no way of safely or efficiently getting under the car for any period of time. It sounds easy enough, but i'd rather have someone there who has been through the routine a few times rather than just blindly doing it on my own :P Plus a mate got a backbox for his mk3 fez and it needed a new bracket made for it? That sounds like some work.

See the problem is, I have a stepdad who is into cars alot and likes fast cars etc. but whenever I say things I want for my car, he always goes into negative and says 'nah, i wouldnt bother m8'. Even for my new wheels I want, its all 'not really worth it tbh' kinda talk. Fair enough I already have standard mk4 zetec alloys but they are like granny wheels :P. What I need to do is buy the part and have it all fitted and working properly, then he probably wouldnt mind, its just he always talks me out of it when I talk about it before hand. He has that funny way of talking, that makes me feel kinda guilty lol. So I have to buy it, fit it and have it fully working :P

Is there much of an insurance boost on a new backbox? That always creeps into mind when I think about it.
Fez4MJ
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Location: Essex - Birthplace of the white emulsion painted Nova :P

Postby buggynut on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 pm

There shouldn't be any increase on your insurence for a back boxes as they dont add any performance to the car.

Just for looks and sound
buggynut
Poster
Poster

Postby hudz_si on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:37 am

Whats wrong with the Mk4 Zetec alloys? :P :lol:
hudz_si
Poster
Poster

Postby RS1800pec on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:57 am

Back boxs are all sound and no go.
If your looking for performance and not just sound get a full system. As someone mentioned if you aint got £200-300 for a new one buy a 2nd hand one from ebay or look in parts for sale.

You could easily pick up a good 2nd hand system for £100 from ebay
RS1800pec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS1800pec on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Fez4MJ :Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I would attempt to do it myself but I really have no way of safely or efficiently getting under the car for any period of time. It sounds easy enough, but i'd rather have someone there who has been through the routine a few times rather than just blindly doing it on my own :P Plus a mate got a backbox for his mk3 fez and it needed a new bracket made for it? That sounds like some work.

See the problem is, I have a stepdad who is into cars alot and likes fast cars etc. but whenever I say things I want for my car, he always goes into negative and says 'nah, i wouldnt bother m8'. Even for my new wheels I want, its all 'not really worth it tbh' kinda talk. Fair enough I already have standard mk4 zetec alloys but they are like granny wheels :P. What I need to do is buy the part and have it all fitted and working properly, then he probably wouldnt mind, its just he always talks me out of it when I talk about it before hand. He has that funny way of talking, that makes me feel kinda guilty lol. So I have to buy it, fit it and have it fully working :P

Is there much of an insurance boost on a new backbox? That always creeps into mind when I think about it.

Mate all dads say that. Ive had 4 years of..... Nah you shouldn’t buy this, you shouldn’t buy that. It will only fook your car up in the long run :lol:

I suppose there way of thinking is a car is built a certain way and designed to run as standard. So why modify it :-?

But hey, we all love modifying :aviator:
RS1800pec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.