[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Exhaust Wrap : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Exhaust Wrap

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Exhaust Wrap

Postby Dwayneology on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Does That Exhaust wrap actually work i seen it on a full exhaust system in work once i could understand it be on the Manifold But the full exhaust

Are There Any Benifits Or Just A Waste Of Money????

:-? :D
Dwayneology
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
Your car: Yamaha YZF R1, RS1800

Postby Oranoco on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 pm

There is a benefit as it keeps the heat in the exhaust gasses and as a result the gas speed is kept higher. Having said that I can't say how great an effect this will have, it's normally wrapped in an effort to keep under bonnet temps down a bit.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:08 pm

as oranoco says the purpose of heatwrapping manifolds is to retain the heat inside the exhaust, and reduce the underbonnet temperatures. i had thermotec heatwrap on my 4-2-1 manifold, when i had the cvh. i never noticed a difference to performance aside from the exhaust popping more.the reason i heatwrapped it was to prevent heatsoak to the starter motor, and for this purpose yes it did work.temperatures were lower. as for increasing performance then no i never noticed anything. i cant see much to be gained from wrapping any more than the manifold as thats the only part of the exhaust in the engine bay.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby p4blo on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm

As Oranoco said: Keeps the heat within the exhaust, more heat = less dense gas = faster moving. Tbh though you really only see full system wraps on big bhp cossies etc, and there are plenty of massive bhp cars that dont use it.

For the manifold and downpipe, yes, but not worth the money full the system.
p4blo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby filtra on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:29 pm

I wrapped the downpipe part of my mongoose system on the FRST not for 'performance' just to try and give the starter motor a little more protection from being cooked.
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby filtra on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:32 pm

p4blo :As Oranoco said: Keeps the heat within the exhaust, more heat = less dense gas = faster moving. Tbh though you really only see full system wraps on big bhp cossies etc, and there are plenty of massive bhp cars that dont use it.

For the manifold and downpipe, yes, but not worth the money full the system.

Thats because they use cermic coated/lined manifolds and turbos etc...
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Cool

Postby Dwayneology on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 pm

Cheers guys,

Has Helped out, Ive Got a 1992 fiesta Xr2i 16v but it's registered before

August 1992 So if i've done my research i should be able to de-cat the exhaust and get away with it for road use :devil:

so the exhaust wrap will go around the manifold only

BTW:The Car i seen this exhaust wrap on was a 1.4 MG ZR :lol: :lol: what a knob :lol: :lol: [/b]
Dwayneology
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Cool

Postby Dwayneology on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:37 pm

Cheers guys,

Has Helped out, Ive Got a 1992 fiesta Xr2i 16v but it's registered before

August 1992 So if i've done my research i should be able to de-cat the exhaust and get away with it for road use :devil:

so the exhaust wrap will go around the manifold only

BTW:The Car i seen this exhaust wrap on was a 1.4 MG ZR :lol: :lol: what a knob :lol: :lol: [/b]
Dwayneology
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TIL13R on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Where is the best place to buy this wrap from?

Tiller
TIL13R
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Try Here

Postby Dwayneology on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:36 pm

http://www.proven-products.co.uk it seems to be really cheap on this website its under
-->products

then

--->MOTOR SPORT TYPE PARTS

then

---->Cooltek exhaust wrap

Hope that helps :D
Dwayneology
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby fiend on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:35 pm

How long does it take to wrap a full exhaust!?

..or is it done by machine instead of hand?
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Best way

Postby Dwayneology on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:45 pm

I would say if you going to do the whole thing take the exhaust system off if you can,

that way you should be able to wrap the whole exhaust then without missing any parts,

But do what these guys have said to do only do the manifold

if you want to do the rest of the exhaust,

only do the part that is under the engine bay stoping the heat flowing up

not that much of that would float up when your driving anyway
Dwayneology
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hb69 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 pm

fiend :How long does it take to wrap a full exhaust!?

..or is it done by machine instead of hand?

i dont think there would be tht much benefit to wrapping a full exhaust. just the manifold should be fine. it took me about an hour to do mine. while it was still on the car. theres a guide, in the guides section i think on how to wrap a manifold :)
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby FezV6 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 pm

I wrapped my full system that recently came off my car. it was more for protection of the fuel/brake lines, hand brake cable and fuel tank than performance on the main pipe as the car had most of the underbody heat sheilds missing when I got it.

Obviously I wrapped the 4-1 aswell for performace reasons
FezV6
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby fiend on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:28 pm

FezV6 :I wrapped my full system that recently came off my car. it was more for protection of the fuel/brake lines, hand brake cable and fuel tank than performance on the main pipe as the car had most of the underbody heat sheilds missing when I got it.

Obviously I wrapped the 4-1 aswell for performace reasons

Notice any improvements?
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezV6 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 pm

its difficult to say really, I fitted the 4-1 at the same time as I wrapped the exhaust, and yes, saw a good improvement in top end power and overall feel of how the engine ran. This will have been very little to do with the wrap though and a lot to do with the loss of the very poor ford manifold!

Sorry I cant be more help.

It looked pretty cool when there was a bit of rain though, the proper rally car style when I drove through a puddle and got the big cloud of steam come up! 8)
FezV6
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby fiend on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:37 pm

FezV6 :It looked pretty cool when there was a bit of rain though, the proper rally car style when I drove through a puddle and got the big cloud of steam come up! 8)

Hahaha, that's the only reason I want to do it!
fiend
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:43 pm

fiend :
FezV6 :It looked pretty cool when there was a bit of rain though, the proper rally car style when I drove through a puddle and got the big cloud of steam come up! 8)

Hahaha, that's the only reason I want to do it!

In that case, don't bother! If you leave it unwrapped it'll let the exhaust get hotter and won't protect it from the water the way the wrap will...so if all you want to do is drive through puddles to create steam, you'll save yourself time and money by leaving it off! :lol:
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby Simon84uk on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 am

My mate had it fitted to his XR2 on his ashley manifold and it made the manifold crack. He really hates the stuff now and thinks its a bad idea.

I'm still tempted to try it on mine tho just to see what its like.

Simon.
1991 Fiesta RS Turbo - Project Thread - 285.8bhp, 320ft/lbs - Sold to a good friend :cry:.
Simon84uk
Post Master
Post Master
Your car: Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby heeman10 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:42 am

Simon84uk :My mate had it fitted to his XR2 on his ashley manifold and it made the manifold crack. He really hates the stuff now and thinks its a bad idea.

Exhaust wrap on mild steel will cause all sorts of problems. It holds water in, which rusts the steel and weakens the manifold over time.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby knuckles on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:13 pm

heeman10 :
Simon84uk :My mate had it fitted to his XR2 on his ashley manifold and it made the manifold crack. He really hates the stuff now and thinks its a bad idea.

Exhaust wrap on mild steel will cause all sorts of problems. It holds water in, which rusts the steel and weakens the manifold over time.

It says on that http://www.proven-products.co.uk website that its not suitable for cast iron manifolds as they may crack .....

So does that mean its no good for the Rs manifold ? :-?
ImageImage
~nomad~ :Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.