Exhausts

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Exhausts

Postby dontpannic on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi guys.

Time is about to come for me to get a new exhaust. What do I look out for and what is loudish and cheap?

Was looking at RSR Tyres who install a Powerflow exhaust system from £220. Is there somewhere I can get a cheap exhaust full system, to be fitted at a local garage?

Cheers,
Nick
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta ST / Saxo VTS track car

Car: 2007 Ford Fiesta ST

Re: Exhausts

Postby Oranoco on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Buy a proper system not a chavy PowerFlow that are often poorly assembled using poor qualioty stainless stell and certainly aren't flow tested. Most of these high street "nail a system together" places don't calculate the length and diameters of the pipe they should use and just make an exhaust with a look and sound in mind these often cost you power and torque as teh scavenging effect is loused up. Spend soem extra wedge on a system from the Likes of Magnex, Mongose, Scorpion. If you really want a custom system get on the phone to Hayward &Scott but don't expect it to be cheap.

If the exhaust is for your 1.25 then in all seriousness abackbox would be quite up to the job and save you a wedge

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ollybee on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Powerflow are shocking exhausts. A mate got one on his Polo a few years ago and I was amazed at how poorly skilled the fitters were.
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby dontpannic on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Will a backbox fail an MOT though?
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:14 pm

No. Why on Earth would it? :-?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dontpannic on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:20 pm

Oranoco :No. Why on Earth would it? :-?

I always thought it would for some reason!

nick
dontpannic
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Providing it's not take the piss loud there is no reason for it to

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby 285Andy on Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:24 pm

ive seen powerflow system on a puma engined 1.7 Ka. i laughed my fudgekin funlumps of at how bad the quality was! :lol: i didnt realise pidgeons can fly upside down and fire poo at such an angle :lol: please try somwhere other than powerflow :) im with the Womble, id just get a back box really :)

PPL, f*****g over music listners since 1934
285Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: fiesta rs turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby filtra on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Try longlife exhausts, excellent quality and they know what they are doing (both fabrication, backpressures and gasflow), they won't rape you for moeny like H&S (not doubting their quality). I went to the carshalton branch. If you want a full system from the down-pipe back they jig the OEM one (mongoose in my case) so what you get will be a perfect fit and will not have any adverse affects, you can ask how loud you want it, i suggest you get the quietest option because the 2nd up from quiet is noisy as f**k lol!

Oranoco - AFAIK scavenging will only be affected if you change the manifold design, obviously you need to retain some back pressure in general in the system but it's the flow of the manifold that affects the suck out of gas.
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby minston2 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:38 pm

i heard that the powerflow s/s pipes rust because they make the stainless and the mild steel pipes in the same room, so the spat from the mild gets on to the stainless and it rusts. sounds a bit far out i know (probly not even true!)
drives: MX-3
minston2
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby davy on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Ive had a powerflow system in the past and the build quaility was in line with magnex. I never had it tested on a rolling road so cant comment on the efficiency of the system however common sense would say that it would be less than a system specifically designed for any particular model. The reason I went with powerflow was that no manufacturer made a stainless system for the car I had at the time and this is what is good about the company in that they will cater for any car. As with any service it will depend on the garage/fitter which makes up the system, some will be better than others. I would personally first choose a system from a manufature which has designed the exhaust for the engine prior to looking at powerflow
davy

davy
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:22 pm

minston2 :i heard that the powerflow s/s pipes rust because they make the stainless and the mild steel pipes in the same room, so the spat from the mild gets on to the stainless and it rusts. sounds a bit far out i know (probly not even true!)

Nope it's just down to the fact they use a crap grade of stainless. Would rather fit a mild steel system than ever fit something a shockingly poor and substandard as a PowerFlow

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby HCS PIMP on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:52 pm

got a system for sale off my fiesta si ill take 150 for it a full system longlife system and sounds the s**t is 3.5 inch i loved how it made my fez sound and isnt a poor quality system ring me 07738913381
2.1 Went BANGGGGG now a Ghia 1800
HCS PIMP
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Phoenix666 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm

i actually make custom exhaust systems and we could build you one very easily

were based in St helens, Merseyside and the place is called Urban Racing.

0845 130 7441

all exhausts are 304grade stainless and all boxes, tubes, etc....are all stainless aswell as being british not cheap chinese metal, we use stainless welding wire aswell as stainless hangers and as long as you own the car then you will still have the full lifetime warranty.

we can do other things like stainless flexi joints (also saves you spending a fortune on a full ford part!)

usually if you can drop your car off in the morning, you can pick it back up later on and evrythings done,

also we always like to see cars we have done a week or two after due to the properties of stainless meaning that it grows between 10-15mm as it gets hot on the car which not many places realise.

any questions at all including rough quotes (every cars different and theres nothing we can't do (within reason)) just give us a call,

either Dave, Ste, or myself Will
Phoenix666
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.