Expensive Oil Worth It?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Expensive Oil Worth It?

Postby Percy! on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:28 pm

First of all what grade oil will I need for my 2litre Si?

Secondly I plan to be running new cams etc and hope to be running around 210Bhp soon (not saying how) and was wondering would it be worth me spending on some GTX magnatec or something like that?
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Citreon

Re: Expensive Oil Worth It?

Postby wywywywy on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:54 pm

Percy! :Secondly I plan to be running new cams etc and hope to be running around 210Bhp soon (not saying how)

Throttle bodies or dragons? :-?
Fiesta Mk3 The Complete FAQ
Have a look, and do a search, before you ask anything :)
Project Log
wywywywy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:42 pm

You'll need to buy special oil (not saying what).

How about you tell us what the engine spec will be? Then we can advise properly.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby s1chris on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:20 pm

hello castrol gtx magnatec aint all that its cracked up to be. silkolene do some really good oils but you do pay a high price for it. although i use gtx magnetec as its easy to get hold of and quite cheap so you can change it quite regular.
s1chris
Post Master
Post Master

Postby RS_Rawli on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:22 pm

your gonna need TB's to see over 200brake afaik with a zetec
RS_Rawli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Expensive Oil Worth It?

Postby Percy! on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:34 pm

wywywywy :Throttle bodies or dragons? :-?

Magic dragons of course!

AdrianFRST :You'll need to buy special oil (not saying what).

How about you tell us what the engine spec will be? Then we can advise properly.

Good point I suppose, I will tell you if I pull it off, parts are on order.

s1chris :hello castrol gtx magnatec aint all that its cracked up to be. silkolene do some really good oils but you do pay a high price for it. although i use gtx magnetec as its easy to get hold of and quite cheap so you can change it quite regular.

Was thinking that myself, just trying to weight up if its worth the extra expense, saying that you must think it is if you use it.

Nobody answered what grade to get? I don't trust the card things in halfords really.
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SimonT on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:16 am

Thats a bit pointless this post innit?

Its just like saying "my car is for sale - but im not gonna tell you what it is!"
Too old and too bald.
SimonT
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Postby Percy! on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:35 pm

SimonT :Thats a bit pointless this post innit?

Its just like saying "my car is for sale - but im not gonna tell you what it is!"

Ok I will change the question, should I buy cheap halfords oil or get some GTX magnetec? Is it worth it with a hi spec car?

It is just a general question really when you think about it.
Percy!
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby StreetDragster on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Oil is the blood of your engine, buy the best you can afford.

Thanks

Matt
StreetDragster
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Tomdom on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:19 pm

:lol: gas

aye :wink:
ImageBreaking 2i, lots of parts available!, pm me
Tomdom
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:38 pm

Engine oils all have standards to work to, you should see them on the bottle. No standards on bottle = rubbish oil! but i doubt any oil on the market doesnt have the standards on the bottle.

I personaly use Shell Helix or Valvoline.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby simon16v on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:27 pm

castrol RS i use. 0-W40 with no problems changed every 6k miles on a 1.8 16v XR2i.
simon16v
Poster
Poster

Postby chumkila on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:34 pm

8)
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby DaveZetec on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:39 pm

you can get castrol GTX for less than halfords cheapest stuff if you shop around (supermarkets :))

ive always used decent oil, for sake of under a tenner extra there is little point scrimping.
DaveZetec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby s1chris on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:27 pm

yeah i use the 0-40 castrol gtx magnatec stuff. nice and thin as what ive been told rs turbos require. i know makro (where i work at the min :( ) have it for around £10 if you have a trade card or indeeed a makro store near by!
s1chris
Post Master
Post Master

Oil

Postby Shayne on Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:59 pm

If you are spending money on the engine it is false economy to skimp on the standard of oil. I would not recommend using anything less than semi-synthetic. Also change oil and filter every 6,000 miles.
Shayne
Poster
Poster

oil

Postby gibbsy on Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:50 pm

i would be very careful with oil on a zetec as the wrong over a time (not even s**t stuff) can cause havoc with the tappet and cause cold start and idle problem. i change mine every 6k or 6 months with ford recomend genuine oil.
gibbsy
Poster
Poster

Postby Quantum on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:34 pm

As already said if you're spending say £1k+ on your engine putting the wrong oil in will damage it, so buying the ideal oil for your engine will save you money in the long run.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oilman on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:45 pm

Good oils are always worth it, that's why they cost more and extend the life of your engine.

Read and weep!

A word of caution – You get what you pay for!

Below is an article written by John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R & D Chemist for 40 years.

Quote:

Costs of synthetics vary considerably. The most expensive are the “Ester” types originally only used in jet engines. These cost 6 to 10 times more than high quality mineral oils.

The cheapest synthetics are not really synthetic at all, from a chemists point of view. These are in fact specially refined light viscosity mineral oils known as “hydrocracked”. These have some advantages over equivalent mineral oils, particularly in lower viscosity motor oils such as 5w-30 or other oils with a low “W” rating such as 5w-50 etc and they cost about 1.5 times more than good quality mineral fractions.

We use several different grades of this base oil, where appropriate. This is the “synthetic” which is always used in cheap oils that are labelled “synthetic”. Yes it’s a cruel world, you get what you pay for!

Now, you may ask, why are these special mineral oils called “synthetic”? Well, it was all sorted in a legal battle that took place in the USA about ten years ago. Sound reasons (including evidence from a Nobel Prize winning chemist) were disregarded and the final ruling was that certain mineral bases that had undergone extra chemical treatments could be called “synthetic”.

Needless to say, the marketing executives wet their knickers with pure delight! They realised that this meant, and still does, that the critical buzz-word “synthetic” could be printed on a can of cheap oil provided that the contents included a few percent of “hydrocracked” mineral oil, at a cost of quite literally a few pence.

So, the chemistry of “synthetics” is complex and so is the politics!

The economics are very simple. If you like the look of a smart well-marketed can with “synthetic” printed on it, fair enough, it will not cost you a lot; and now you know why this is the case. But, if you drive a high performance car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd “track day”, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil.

This oil costs more money to buy, because it costs us a lot of money to make, very simply, you always get what you pay for!

UNQUOTE:

Don't take it from me, take it from a chemist!

Cheers
Simon
oilman
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.