FAO Sunil_FiestaRS_16v

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

FAO Sunil_FiestaRS_16v

Postby JayC on Thu May 15, 2008 1:05 am

Started this new thread because i couldent post images at the original point of conversation, which is the focus inlet manifold tutorial, so please dont tell me off Capri if its in the wrong place :P

Hi Sunil, I guess im being irrational saying the focus injectors are not any good..

The focus inlet is stamped 1.8/2.0 and some say they are the same but have a different throttle and injectors.. Well i can tell you they are not, the whole assembly fits either 1.8 or 2.0 engines in the focus..

The focus throttle is also restricted, it may be some weird torque producting effort or other weird reason, but I belive its the same throttle as the USA versions which run lower compression and these weird throttle shapes for economy.. something we both aint intrested in :)

So i just decided to get the blacktop parts from a 2.0 mondeo MK2 as the manifold is made for the mondeo only..

This may be the same as the mondeo had 1.8/2.0 on the mk1 manifold, not sure bout the mk2 because i never seen one but one thing which is certain is the injectors are different colours and the throttle is much bigger... (I have notes somewhere with the early and late focus injectors from both engines expect RS, i will compare codes but im pretty sure the mondeo ones have a different code, but i wont say 100% until i see my notes)

Focus 1.8/2.0 Throttle Body.

Mondeo 2.0 Throttle Body next to Focus item.

You can clearly see the difference in size.. you need to remove part of the mondeo throttle cable bracket, and the focus one doesent fit the mondeo throttle.. and the hole for the cable stop is bigger than the focus one so if you can get a scrap mondeo mk2 throttle cable it would be worth checking that it fits pedal end.. otherwise a ziptie holds the cable in place and if you have a arc welder you could easily cut the smaller part from the focus one and tack it to the mondeo bracket.

Throttle Cable pedal ends ( pink is focus item)

now.. on to the throttle position sensor..
The EEC-V (blacktop engines) tps's put out a different reading, i think they are also logarithmic i know the EEC-IV (silvertop engines) are liniar.. this poses a small problem itself..

I observed the following readings when i tested between pins C and B on both sensors:
Blacktop TPS output
CLOSED 3.91
OPEN 1.41

Silvertop TPS output
CLOSED 3.74
OPEN 0.25

So theres the difference with the sensors.. theres also another problem, the holes on the early tps are very close but the angle of the spigot is roughly 90degrees out..

my solution was to gently (and slowly might i add) chip out the inside of the silvertop TPS splines, which you can see in the pictures above, with a drill bit, until i could screw the sensor down onto the throttle, open and close the throttle and it not rotate the TPS splines. You will see in the pictures i have used 2 washers between the sensor because it doesent actually go right down (if you do screw it flush it will definatly break) You can of course grind down the end of the spigot on the throttle :)

Ok mate keep reading, your wondering what to do next.. i came up with 2 solutions..

1. rip out the insides of the blacktop tps, this will leave you with the plastic center that rotates, if you cleaned out the inside of the silvertop tps good enought then this will drop in nicely.. you can secure it with some epoxy resin but polyester resins are resistant to hydrocarbons so may be better suited in the longrun (were talking decades) :lol:

2. or what i first did.. fill the inside of the TPS with resin and create a new spline to turn the 'center'... its like a dish so it wont leak into the tracks inside the TPS, just dont go overboard, and remember when you insert the spigot it will push some out.. its a bit of a guessing game but less is better..

The finnished product.

I filled the 'pot' and i waxed the spigot (if that isnt the most sexiest thing ive said all year i dunno what is!) and pushed the spigot into the resin, without disturbing it to much and holding it above my head the whole time in some effort to keep the TPS level, screwed it down and stood it upright on the radiator, its perfect for the job..

obviously it comes apart but wax may be better as its thicker and will create a little clearence around the spigot, if its to tight it flexes the tps a little to much for my liking.

It isnt sealed against the atmosphere unfortunatly.. so may suffer as a result.. my solution was to just make another one when i need to :Q

hope this helps mate.. sorry its a bit of an essay but im shĩt at explaing things :)

JayC.
Last edited by JayC on Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Project62 ~ my baby
2Liter Fiesta Si Thread:)
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: FAO Sunil_FiestaRS_16v

Postby JayC on Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 am

oh.. heres the focus injector codes.. ill get the mondeo ones when i go out to the car tomorow :Q

Early Injector 98FF 9F593 EB
Late Injector 98FF 9F593 EA
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Capri on Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm

JayC :so please dont tell me off Capri if its in the wrong place :P

No, this is the correct place for discussion of tuning mods, so I'd say you got it right. For a change. :P :wink:
My name is Alex. I used to have a Capri. I don't anymore. But I'm still called Capri.
Capri
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: 1989 Citroen BX GTi 16v

Postby JayC on Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm

:lol: cool mate :)
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.