few RS1800 questions

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

few RS1800 questions

Postby Fletcher on Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:15 pm

Having finely deciding on the rs1800 engine to transplant into my xr2i (8v)

Just want to know a few things
1) Is there anything else I will need except, Engine, Gearbox, Loom & ecu??
2) Are throttle bodies the best way to go (no turbo's please) and who does them for this engine??
Fletcher
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chumkila on Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:33 pm

try Burton Power, they do Alpha-Weber throttle body induction kits. :wink:
chumkila
Dirty Post Whore!
Dirty Post Whore!

Postby Jur on Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:16 am

Fletcher,
take the radiator too, exhaust system (downpipe + kat for MOT).
look at the fuel lines (the joints to the fuel rail is different)
Take the driveshafts too (ABS??) (could be different)

U need to adjust your rear (driver side) engine mount on the chassis (make it +/- 2" shorter) 'caus the 16v top is bigger than the 8v version.

create the fixing point for the front (driver side) enginemount, 'caus normally your standard air-filter is positioned.

Keep your excisting speedometer cable/sensor and temp sens. if you keep your dash.
Shorten the battery plate (don't know if it's really ness.)

I did the reverse (i've taken out an 1.8s engine (105bph) en put in a 1.6 CVH Turbo.

I guess everything else will fit (i didn't have any probs for the rest)

If you don't remove the driveshafts.. you won't have to replace the gearbox-oil. (it is designed to last the gearboxes lifetime)

Check the clutch etc. when the enging is not mounted... when doubt.. replace it. (lifetime 65.000miles/100.000km)
Replace the lever bearing/pressure bearing (don't know what it's called in english) and the pressure group as well.

Doing this afterwards is: a: expensive b: a lot of extra work

Check/replace any seals/belts of the engine when not yet mounted for the same reason..

When the engine hs not been used for a while:
Flush the coolant system (after a short time of test use) as well as the oil+filter. This wil remove al the corrosion and sludge from your engine from standing still.. replacing it befor the test use will give a result of sludge and corrosion particals still in your freshly put coolant/oil/engine.
check/replace water/coolantpump (could leak if stood dry for a long time)

This all is not to scare you.. but to save you a lot of work afterwards and to result with a neat serviced engine (-:

XR2Tii Greets
Jur
*If you start to see in Black and White, you know you're pulling enough G's*
Jur
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Fletcher on Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:03 pm

thanks a lot mate :D
Fletcher
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:25 am

Driveshafts, battery tray and fuel lines should be fine :)

Use the Zetec rear top mount - it should fit fine as long as your name's not SimonT ;)

You will need to drill and tap the front RHS chassis leg for the front mount - some innovation will be needed here.

You can keep the CVH rad but the Zetec one has the fan temp switch in it so defitely get that asap.

If your engine comes from an airbag model you will have problems with immobiliser wiring so get a loom and ECU from a pre-95 model (i.e. one with no yellow wires in the looms ;)).

Jur, you clearly know your stuff on this one ;) :)
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.