[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
fiesta rs turbo, updated, 29/03/16 : Member's Gallery - Page 48 | Fiesta Forums

fiesta rs turbo, updated, 29/03/16

Post pics of your Fiesta here.

Re: fiesta rs turbo, cam fcuked

Postby knuckles on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

jayrs :
knuckles :
BigUKG :Glad you havent changed the wheels yet as far as I can see!

When woolworths went under them wheels went up in value big time :) :lol:

fcuk off! :lol:
im gunna put them on yours now and take loads of pictures :devil:

that would involve actual manual labour on my car and yours

im gonna call your bluff and call s**t ! :lol:
ImageImage
~nomad~ :Good god I love Clark.
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Rs turbo

Postby jayrs on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm

knuckles :

you forget, i have to drop the engine out of mine, ands i have to take the wheels off yours anyway.........

sure you wanna call it....... double or quits on the steak and a pint????
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: FRST, XR2, ST170, ST225

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby knuckles on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:08 pm

i already owe u a steak dinner and a pint.
not gonna risk owing you another :lol:
ImageImage
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm

knuckles :i already owe u a steak dinner and a pint.
not gonna risk owing you another :lol:

my p p p p p p p p p ppoker face :lol: :lol: :lol:

you would of lost that deal for sure :oops:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jonyb4 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm

lol you two are on your own :rolleyes:
1800 Zetec 133bhp 140lbs/ft
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Si 1.8, mk2 950, 2.0 capri

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta Si 16v

Postby FRSJON on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm

jayrs :
knuckles :

you forget, i have to drop the engine out of mine, ands i have to take the wheels off yours anyway.........

sure you wanna call it....... double or quits on the steak and a pint????

drop the engine out? :-? what have i missed ????
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: frozen white/carbon zt

Postby jayrs on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:12 pm

FRSJON :drop the engine out? :-? what have i missed ????

just to flush it out mate really, i prob wont split the head off it, just stip the bottom end and head and wash it all out, fit new oil gallery plugs, and i have a new oil pump im gunna fit, just in case for any reaosn somethings up with my current one, which i dont think it is, but seeing as i have a brand spanking new one in the shed, just as well fit it :lol: :lol: , and i would rather do all this and the sump gasket with the engine out
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 am

got round to getting the cam out today, kent want the cam, tappets and springs back as they want to inspect the lot.
just as i expected though, the cam is fcuked, not a little, a lot!

all bar a few lobes have worn donw a bit, one well, near round!
and for a cam that hasnt even done 1200 miles since brand new, just not good enough imo.

engine will be dropped out next year and stripped and cleaned, fingers crossed it hasnt done the crank again, if it has, well, im tempted to give up at this point in time

anyhow, just a couple pictures of it, will be sent back to kent shortly, or i may contact them to see if they want me to hold off untill the new year, but i will be measureing the lobes up later tonight when my dad brings a 25-50mm mic round, but thats just for my own referance really

starting cam belt end to coil end 1-4 inlet, 5-8 exhaust

both the below tappets had to be removed after the cam as they would not pull out, i had to slide them into the hed to get them out

no1 inlet tappet

no6 exhaust tappet

couple pics of the 4th lobe in from coil end, proper fcuked but most up cambelt end have worn down alot, only ones that dont seem effected at all are the end ones coil end

will see what kent say, can understand it though, oil level and pressures have always been fine, oil is correct etc etc etc, although jon did say kent had some bad cams about a few years back which is when i bought this one, so who knows

ive got a few ideas of a response i will get after inspection, along the lines of....., your oil pressure must of dropped, or you didnt run it in right blah blah blah but i hope im wrong, were see

what ever happens, prodived the crank is not scored, i will be on the look out for another cam.
ive heard some storys about piper cams wearing out, and im thinking newman cams...., anyone thats had experance with piper or newmans, fell free to post your comments good or bad, more so any bad ones as i wanna know

oh,. and the next cam i get will be as close to standard spec as i can get it, i cant be arsed with high lift crap, and i cant be doing with trying to squeese power from a cvh no more, once all the engine is cleaned out and back together, all the other bits are off such as biege injectors and the chip, might even go for standard air box again.

no point having a car that will go X fast if your just never going to drive it like it, and im not interested in thrashing it no more, ive had my time with that (with this car anyway :devil: ) i would rather keep it nice and show it off.
im looking towards a focus ST2 or 3 some point in 2011 if funds will allow as a daily, so i can have fun in that and save the RS for best :)
thats the plan anyway unless the wife insists on gettign rid of the galaxy for a S max :rolleyes:
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: fiesta rs turbo, cam fcuked update 15/12

Postby rob pace on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:32 pm

ive heard newman cams are good, there place is right near my house as well :D
rob pace
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm

yeah ive heard some good things about them, with the only down side (from what i can remember) is that you have to have there tappets and springs to fulfull the warrenty on it, not that its a problem to get it all for me but it might be for some,
i just dont want to spend out £300+ on a cam kit thats going to $hit its pants again after 1200 miles

"if" and its a big if, if kent do honur the fact there was a fault with the cam and do send me a new kit, it will not be fitted, it will be sold on to fund a new one from else where, or if i do go for another kent one, i may ask if they can send me a less spec one, one as close to standard as poss, i dont have the need for a cvh35 no more.
in fact the sale of the beiges and chip will go towards a new cam too, but these wont be sold untill i know what the score is with the current naffed cam
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FRSJON on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 pm

find a good second hand one mate.then you know they dont have issues. go standard :)
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm

i was gunna go standard cam, but fords dont do them no more.
as for s/h, tbh i wouldnt fit a second hand one.
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FRSJON on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:59 pm

jayrs :i was gunna go standard cam, but fords dont do them no more.
as for s/h, tbh i wouldnt fit a second hand one.

the brand new kent one we had lasted 30 miles,second hand ones still going strong :lol: think the way to go would be a billet one from say cat cams...will last forever! :D plus have a look through burton power book,theres a additive in there to prevent prem cam wear...its a long story but the american federation of engine builders found out there was something missing from modern engine oils ,with out this aditive they were suffering from prem cam wear on many engines built :) or go zetec :lol:
FRSJON
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:06 pm

yeah i remember you saying about that stuff, will look into it.

cat cams...?
will look into them, prob expensive :lol: but if there good i dont mind spending

as for zetec, cant be arsed to go that way mate, was going to first time round and decided against it, and the reasons then still stand now

** just looked up cat cams, dont list one for the cvh**
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby pauldolman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

jay i've had both a kent cvh35, and my current newman ph4

if i was to choose one i'd definatly go for the kent one [ERRR] it seems more agressive low down and gives a real kick just before the t3 turbo cuts in

but the newman one seems a lot more progressive and a bit laggy bottom end, but the actual cam is made from a different matieral and i've found it's lasted me a hell of a lot longer

hope this helps

paul
pauldolman
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 pm

it does mate.
im not worried about power tbh, the cars not going to be pushed anymore, i just want one thats good quality and that will last
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby niracka on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Thats a real shame mate. Are you running uprated valve springs???

Is it a real common problem then for cams to wear quick on the cvh?? Its just i really want a frst and will; hopefully be getting one soon but as you said its not ideal having a fast car if its always broken. I want something fast but reliable to get to work in and I'm starting to doubt a frst is the best idea.

Ollie
niracka
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: E46 M3

Postby knuckles on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 pm

my tappets did same thing as yours
burred on ends and had to remove through bottom of head.

the uprated springs mullered the tappets causing premature cam wear

will never go for uprated non sense again after all the exspense ive had with cvh's :(
ImageImage
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 pm

the rs isnt always broken, i just had a rough deal with this cam, so dont be put off by it, its just a duff card i been delt, should of follwed my guy when i was thinking of cams and gone piper :lol: :lol:
but yeah, springs were uprated, it was a kent cam kit so i fitted the whole lot, and im glad i did, other wise i can hear it now, "as you didnt use our tappets blah blah blah"

yeah i remember yours clark, you could say as the cam was standard it shouldnt of had the kent springs, but as my cam was a kent one with there springs and tappets, what can ya say.....
it not like the engine was worn out, didnt have oil changes and weas sporting a w@nked oil pump, rebuilt lump...
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby pauldolman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:48 pm

jayrs :it does mate.
im not worried about power tbh, the cars not going to be pushed anymore, i just want one thats good quality and that will last

jay i also fitted solid lifters and double valve springs not really for a power addition due due to the fact there reliable, best thing i ever done
pauldolman
Post Master
Post Master

Postby knuckles on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 pm

jayrs :yeah i remember yours clark, you could say as the cam was standard it shouldnt of had the kent springs, but as my cam was a kent one with there springs and tappets, what can ya say.....
it not like the engine was worn out, didnt have oil changes and weas sporting a w@nked oil pump, rebuilt lump...

i was unaware that them springs were that strong
cylinder head developments told me that a standard cam kit would be fine to use with the uprated springs and reconditioned head.
lesson learnt :rolleyes:
ImageImage
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

paul, i see newmans tappets are solid.
have to say though, i did consider the rs1600 tappets as there solid, but i didnt see the point for the cost so didnt bother with them.
are you using rs1600 ones or newman ones?

clark, in some cases it prob is fine, valve springs can come in different poundages, maybe there idea or uprated was a lower poundage to what you had..??
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby knuckles on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 am

jayrs :clark, in some cases it prob is fine, valve springs can come in different poundages, maybe there idea or uprated was a lower poundage to what you had..??

it didnt take the ford guru @ work to work out the reason my cam was fubar.
the springs were the cause - especially after eatting two sets of new tappets.

your cam looks simerlar to the one i had in my shed a while back with the same worn lobe.
very fishy as to why they all go there ..... lack of oil supply under high rpm ? bad head design ?
ImageImage
knuckles
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jonyb4 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 am

pauldolman :

jay i also fitted solid lifters and double valve springs not really for a power addition due due to the fact there reliable, best thing i ever done

gay moment

jay? see the mirrors on his RST in his sig, they were mine :D
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby pauldolman on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:48 am

[quote="jayrs"]paul, i see newmans tappets are solid.
have to say though, i did consider the rs1600 tappets as there solid, but i didnt see the point for the cost so didnt bother with them.

no jay there the newman ones, the reason being i went through 3 sets of standerd lifters in a week [ERRR] every new set a put in did'nt sound right and a bit tappety as i know ford does'nt make there anymore and there all a remanafactured part and most company who make them don't do them very well, the advantage with the solid ones is they have a locking screw on the top so it can be set up so much more precisly which made mine sound so much sweeter and more reliable
pauldolman
Post Master
Post Master

Postby jayrs on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 am

jonyb4 :
pauldolman :

gay moment

jay? see the mirrors on his RST in his sig, they were mine :D

:-?

pauldolman :
jayrs :paul, i see newmans tappets are solid.

no jay there the newman ones, the reason being i went through 3 sets of standerd lifters in a week [ERRR] every new set a put in did'nt sound right and a bit tappety as i know ford does'nt make there anymore and there all a remanafactured part and most company who make them don't do them very well, the advantage with the solid ones is they have a locking screw on the top so it can be set up so much more precisly which made mine sound so much sweeter and more reliable

3 set in a wekk, jesus mate.
some patten ones are just micky mouse aint they.

well if i go for a newman cam, i will get there lifters to match cheers mate :)

clarky boy, yeah i remember that cam, was a while ago, but the cvh engine does suffer from poor lube of the cam on the far side of the engine (coil end) but poor oil, or low oil pressure isnt to blaim on my RS.
also all of the inlet lobe are worn down, and one very badly, the 2 exhaust ones cam belt end have worn more than the coil end...
very strange really, im putting it down to naff cam kit tbh, no matter what kent come back and say im still going to class it as a faulty cam kit and put it down to experiance.
all i want from kent really is a new cam kit, not interested trying to claim for a engine rebuild or what not like some people would, just want a new kit out of them to keep, sell or use
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jonyb4 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 pm

lol jay

didnt hey fit shims to the top of tappets to "remanufacture" them
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

The CVH's require very high poundage valves spring due to the way the head was designed, as cam lobe oil feed rate is marginal even with a standard setup, it becomes risky the further you take things.

Hope you get lucky with the rest of the engine mate and nothing is affected.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby jayrs on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:17 pm

jonyb4 :lol jay

didnt hey fit shims to the top of tappets to "remanufacture" them

no mate, shims were fitted on zetec engines

Excursion :The CVH's require very high poundage valves spring due to the way the head was designed, as cam lobe oil feed rate is marginal even with a standard setup, it becomes risky the further you take things.

Hope you get lucky with the rest of the engine mate and nothing is affected.

yeah, fingers crossed all is well
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jonyb4 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:15 pm

ahh thats right
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby - Danny Boy - on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Jony you do post some crap and go off topic dont you :lol: bless ya.

As said to you on msn Jay, WHERE THE HELL DID THAT LOBE GO? Oh yeah, in the head, sump and oil filter lol.

I hope they admit to fault! :) If they do and the crank is scored, you know what to do! :wink: (and im not on about getting a new crank out of them either)... as Jeremly Clarkson said on top gear ''im going to come round and bone your dog'' :lol:

Now, back to msn :lol:
- Danny Boy -
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Si 2.0

Postby jayrs on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:10 pm

:lol: :lol: bone your dog :lol:

well i gotta send it in the new year now as they shut thursday and have ask me to wait till new year to send it, so we're see what happens
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jonyb4 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:49 am

i dont see how the crank gets affected :-?
mk2 pop 1.4i
jonyb4
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jayrs on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 am

jonyb4 :i dont see how the crank gets affected :-?

metal filings from the worn down cam should be filtered out by the filter, but they may be some that get around, after all, the drain holes in the head drop nearly directly onto the bigends, so its poss some could be on that.
its not worth risking potental damage to other engine parts for the sake of a strip down and clean, its something i could really do without doing, but better safe than sorry.
the head will need a flush out anyway as theres fillings in the head as i dripped a magnet tool into the pools of oil under where the cam sits and theres metal there
jayrs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Sam_XR2 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:07 am

jayrs :anyone thats had experance with piper or newmans, fell free to post your comments good or bad, more so any bad ones as i wanna know

i know this is bit late perhaps but iv had a newman cam in my xr2 and its been in for 27k and its still perfect .. when i mentioned to a mate about a newman cam he said there 1 of the best for cvh's. my engine sh*t its pants a while back and took it out and the was no wear at all so id suggest they where pretty good :Q just thought id add that on here for ya :D
Sam_XR2
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

PreviousNext

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.