FIESTA RS1800 CONVERTED TO ST170 RUNNING GEAR...

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

FIESTA RS1800 CONVERTED TO ST170 RUNNING GEAR...

Postby jimmyesh on Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Hi there just joined this site. I've been working on my RS1800 for a few months and it is now all up and running complete with Focus ST170 Engine, 6 spd Box, clocks, ECU/loom, driveshfafts the list goes on...All from a 04reg with only 20k miles on the clock.

The car was featured in Fast Ford modifying guide back in Jan '05 issue when it was running a 220bhp connaught 2.1 normally-aspirated zetec that cost the earth! (and was a pig to drive in busy traffic).

I'd say it has "only" 180 bhp (has bluefin/k&n cone/magnex/no cat) now but it has cost me only a fraction of what you could spend having a fiesta tuned/built by some of these companies.
Also it is fast AND civilised, pulls to nearly 8k, runs nice and cool, is economical too!

The only downside is the sheer amount of work involved in getting all this to fit/run in a mk3 fiesta- lots of welding/cutting/fabricating but now I've almost finshed it and I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

I know it's not the most powerful mk3 rs fez ever built but I think it's more interesting to make something a bit different sometimes and think for yourself.

I am more than happy to give any advice or help to anyone else who wants their RS to have modern st running gear and a six speed box with a hydraulic clutch (no more snapped clutch cables in traffic!!)
If you want to have a look at the photos here's the link:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/jimmyesh

Thanks for your time, Jim
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby frostie on Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:27 am

very very nice excellent job looks very tidy and not abnormal i bet i drives lovely
2.0ltr FSi running v2.2 megasquirt fitted and mapped by ShortWorx
See http://www.shortworx.tk for all your megasquirt needs
frostie
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Section8 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:08 am

Awesome job mate.

Get some better pics up so we can appreciate your hard work a bit more.
Section8
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Photos

Postby jimmyesh on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I'll take some more (better!) and hopefully have them put on here by monday fellas, cheers for the kind words.

Yeah she does drive lovely and as I said before while it won't break any records for power it is a great fast road car with a silky smooth gearbox + hydraulic clutch and that 6th cog for the motorway (+top speed!).

Plus it's so much lighter than an ST170 and will always behave in traffic too.

I reckon these conversions aint a bad idea at the moment with more crashed/cheaper and older st170's popping up everywhere begging to be raped for parts.
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS rob on Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:31 pm

nice to be different i bet aswell,
good on you mate :D
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Straight882003 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:56 pm

awsome job mate when can i book my car in with u lol keeep up the good work and post some better pics :) matt
Straight882003
Poster
Poster

More photos!!

Postby jimmyesh on Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:28 pm

Have another look at this link theres a few more photos for you to have a gander at...

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/jimmyesh

Hope you like them!

p.s. sorry matt I don't think I could face doing all that again!! But I can help you all you want with free advice etc... cheers, Jim.
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Straight882003 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:24 pm

cheers for that mate im after some one who can fit a t3 to my fez if u know any1 let me know cheers matt :D
Straight882003
Poster
Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi matt, fitting the T3 is pretty simple and has been done loads of times before I reckon you should tackle it yourself (if you got somewhere warm/dry/well lit-the weather is pretty honking at the moment!). otherwise you end up just paying through the nose for someone else to do it...

You only need to swap the t2 manifold and turbo for the t3 items, I haven't done this conversion myself but I know you have the induction/intercooler pipes routing differently too, I'm sure you could manage it mate.
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:16 am

Straight882003 :cheers for that mate im after some one who can fit a t3 to my fez if u know any1 let me know cheers matt :D

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/forums/t3-co ... -vt119447/

jimmyesh excellent work, i so want a 6 speed box for motorway cruising! Have you had it on a rolling road? 180 is the magic number for me (double the power of an Si 8) ) Dare I ask what the insurance is like? Being that the engine comes from a group 14/15 (?) car?

" San Diego... German ofcourse, meaning 'A Whale's Vagina' "
scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Hurst Green, East Sussex/ Constitution Hill, Swansea

Postby jimmyesh on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:41 am

insurance not really any worse than normal mate as the rs 18 is already in group 15 plus I'm 28 with quite a bit of no claims...
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ollybee on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 am

It sounds like a proper tool, welcome!
Those that can, do; and those that can't, talk about it.
YRN Thread - yrn-vt151433/
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=869385470
Ollybee
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Focus Titanium & Fiesta ST

Car: 1996 Ford Fiesta Quartz

Postby scarlet_pimp_mobile on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Cool :)

More pics, videos and a full conversion guide now please! :P :lol: :lol:

As said, great conversion and welcome to the site. :)

" San Diego... German ofcourse, meaning 'A Whale's Vagina' "
scarlet_pimp_mobile
Post Master
Post Master

Location: Hurst Green, East Sussex/ Constitution Hill, Swansea

Postby jimmyesh on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:55 pm

Crikey I've got my work cut out there been given my orders now!

Yeah I will collate some kind of conversion guide with photos (+video of me putting the little beast through its paces of course!)

Just got to get my twin master cylinders with balance bar assy from Rally Design this payday (there's no room for the original fiesta "dinnerplate" sized servo and master cylinder set up...) and fit/set it up then will be mobile.
To put it into perspective, this conversion can be bought for the price of a set of cams and a chip for a normal zetec (if you get lucky enough on ebay) and for that you get a far superior transmission, beefier drivesahfts/cv joints, a more modern engine management, + the "duratec"-badged st lump is just a well-worked zetec anyway but all the driveability benefits of the variable cam timing and variable inlet tract also has uprated rod/pistons as standard too. It will always start perfect from cold and idle nearly silently at 800rpm, these words still don't convey how nice this car is to drive now, a nice compromise between performance and lovely road manners. Can't wait to see some more retro fiestas running it too.

Thanks for the warm welcome to fiestaturbo.com guys- nice to be appreciated! :D
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Pure filth.

Get this in to the members gallery where it deserves to be, and please, please get some better images. 90x70px really does not do justice to this great project!

It' really is so refreshing to see something different
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.