fitting a K&N bolt on filter to a 1.1

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

fitting a K&N bolt on filter to a 1.1

Postby Adam_R on Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:20 pm

i know it wont do much performance wise but only want it to make me car sound better
how much better does it sound???????
and how easy r they to fit?
adam
Adam_R
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:17 pm

Go to car
open bonnet
undo 3 screws in top of air filter
remove clips from round sides of air box
remove lid
shut bonnet
start engine

this is how ur engine will sound! (almost)

restore airbox in revese order; or run the risk of a siezed engine by running without airbox.
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby PhatFesZs on Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:41 pm

:lol:
"R.I.P Elm_Us 2004"
PhatFesZs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Mr Jungle on Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:53 pm

At a risk of sounding like TJ, here we go (hold your breath)

This topic has been posted many times, use the search facility and you should find a fcuck load of walk throughs with pictures on how to do this.

There i did it, and i feel dirty :rolleyes:
Mr Jungle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby chimp2k2 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:01 pm

Mr Jungle :There i did it, and i feel dirty :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chimp2k2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Mr Jungle on Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:07 pm

I do, i really hate it when people say it to me! im all like "feck off" in my mind, but all smiles on the outside.

Thing is, i know in this instants there is alot of information on slapping a K&N on a 1.1 cause i did it mself when i was a Teenager. Sure didnt make it go faster, and it didnt really sound any better cause it still sounded like a pee shooter of an engine :lol: but it had to be done !!!

BB4 power :oooh:
Mr Jungle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby PhatFesZs on Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:31 pm

yup the good old peco bb4`s :lol:
"R.I.P Elm_Us 2004"
PhatFesZs
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Mr Jungle on Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:28 pm

Tonys_Phatfiesta :yup the good old peco bb4`s :lol:

Yeah man! used to think i was well cool :lol: i really did :oooh:
Mr Jungle
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:17 pm

Mr Jungle :At a risk of sounding like TJ, here we go (hold your breath)

This topic has been posted many times, use the search facility and you should find a fcuck load of walk throughs with pictures on how to do this.

There i did it, and i feel dirty :rolleyes:

That would be splendid if searching for 'K&N' actually found any posts.

Go on try it.... No posts or topics will match your criteria... :x
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TJ on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:13 pm

Ahh thats because such a small word is not searchable, try searching for
air AND filter
or bolt AND on
TJ
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Hadyn on Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:49 pm

arent you getting about 2-5bhp increase from fitting a free flow k&n to an engine even if it is a 1.1???surely the car will feel more responsive as well as sounding better???remember the more air the car can draw in to the carb the more air there is to combust, therefore creating more power??
Hadyn
Poster
Poster

Postby simon16v on Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:17 pm

but, your air filter will be sucking all hot air, so u'll be getting less oxygen, meaning u could lose power [ERRR] of that.
simon16v
Poster
Poster

Postby Hadyn on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:00 am

simon16v :but, your air filter will be sucking all hot air, so u'll be getting less oxygen, meaning u could lose power [ERRR] of that.

yes, but surely even with the standard restrictive air box on, you're sucking in hot air in anyway??with a k&n you're basically just sucking in loads more air,which obviously is better for performance. With a fuel injected car, its a good idea to make heat shields for the filter to keep engine heat away from the filter, and to run a duct from the front of the car to the filter to channel colder air.........

thats not possible on my gf bro's fester tho cuz he has a top mounted filter on a carb!!

i must say when i fitted a k&n to my old pinto powered capri, it really did make a noticable difference, around 5 extra bhp, much more responsive and a lot more noise, even with the standard zorst!!!
i presumed you'd get the same results with any carb powered car??obviously you fester boys dont think so!! :wink:
Hadyn
Poster
Poster

Postby FezzR on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:36 am

Hadyn :yes, but surely even with the standard restrictive air box on, you're sucking in hot air in anyway??

well actually the entry point on the standard filter is reasonably close to the slam pannel
Hadyn :with a k&n you're basically just sucking in loads more air,which obviously is better for performance. With a fuel injected car, its a good idea to make heat shields for the filter to keep engine heat away from the filter,
not just injected engines all engine will benifit from cooler intake temps!
Hadyn :and to run a duct from the front of the car to the filter to channel colder air.........

thats not possible on my gf bro's fester tho cuz he has a top mounted filter on a carb!!
there is many ways in which u could duct cool air to a carb arrangement
Hadyn :i must say when i fitted a k&n to my old pinto powered capri, it really did make a noticable difference, around 5 extra bhp, much more responsive and a lot more noise, even with the standard zorst!!!
i presumed you'd get the same results with any carb powered car??obviously you fester boys dont think so!! :wink:
completely depends on the original design! if the original disign has no restriction then fitting an after market will have no affect!

on a fester 1.0 1.1 or 1.3 when ragging u get quite warm engine temps, due to the engine being close to its limit

fitting a k&n, or any other aftermarket filter, or even drilling the original box will result in:

a suttle carb noise on full throttle or under heavy load
a debateable improved throttle response, u may get some but most of it will be in ur head IMO
you wont get any power gains that u will notice,

the difference that u notice in most cases could be achived by fitting a new standard filter,

good regular service practices are proven to be of more benifit

HTH

btw im not in anyway trying to discurage an aftermarket filter and not saying u wouldnt enjoy one just that expectations should not be that of a performance or modified engine
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby RS rob on Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:22 am

nicely said!
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:35 am

Yeah but it looks better :P

Still having trouble searching for a guide.

they all are similar posts ASKING how to fit...

I understand you do something with a oil breather system from an XR2i or something :S

but to be honest, i dont have a clue.

can someone who has actually properly fitted on mind posting some pics and a quick how they did it ?

then it can be made sticky and never asked for again!

thanks

/me prays for the above.... :aviator:
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Hadyn on Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:46 pm

Yukon :I understand you do something with a oil breather system from an XR2i or something :S

u need to plug the breather pipe back into the K&N on a carb set up or get a seperate smaller K&N filter for the breather pipe, as its left dangling when you remove the original air-box...

removed the air box elbow on my gf's bro's 1.3 fester, to try and let some more air in - is this an effective simple mod or a waste of time??
Hadyn
Poster
Poster

Postby Ford_whore on Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:40 am

so u bung a filter on the pipe from the cap and put the pipe from the manifold into the k and n
Ford_whore
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby FezzR on Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:24 pm

Yukon :Yeah but it looks better :P

and that makes how much difference on a hcs engine? NONE they will always look crap :P
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.