[Guide] Fitting a magnex full system to a zetec.

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

[Guide] Fitting a magnex full system to a zetec.

Postby taylor5788 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:33 am

quick guide for people thinking of fitting a full system to their 1.6 zetec! i thought id come accross problems n difficulties before it but its simple....

You'll need:

WD40
flathead screwdriver
hammer/rubber mallet
spanners (3/4" i THINK) if not take a selection :)

remember to put the car in 1st gear!

REMOVING THE EXHAUST. the boring bit!

1st thing to do was support the back on axle stands as high as possible. make sure youre on flat ground and NEVER ever use lumps of wood to support the car, otherwise youll be using your head as an axle stand.

then i soaked the joint nearest the cat with WD40, gave it a few wacks with a hammer and sprayed it some more.

you can take the old exhaust off in any order you want but i found my way easy:
take the rear mount off using WD40, then take off the back box (i had a magnex back box on which came off in 2 minutes. you might find removing the standard silencer hard but with a lot of WD40, elbow grease and twisting it will come off.

now all you should have is the centre section box, still on the mount, but no back box/silencer.

the next bit was the hardest.lie on your side on the drivers side of the car. with the joint nearest the cat soaked in WD40, keep whacking it with the hammer, using a flathead as a chisel BUT at the same time use your feet to push on the centre box so youre also pushing the pipe off with your legs. just keep twisting it/pushing it with your legs until it comes free a bit. if not then risk fooquetting your screwdriver and try splitting the pipe joint with it. soak it a bit more in WD40, get a drink to let it soak in, then continue :)
eventually it'll come free! (remember you'll have more than 10 years of soot built up!

once the pipe has came free of the cat, remove the centre section mount. now you should have no exhaust. it ends at the cat con.

FITTING THE EXHAUST. the fun bit!

i fitted the new exhaust piece by piece as youll need to keep twisting it into place so it doesnt hang too low. the 1st part i fitted was the cat. end, the straighest pipe.

first of all clean up the joint on the original exhaust which youre fixing it to.
i did notuse exhaust glue anywhere because ill be screwed if i needed to ever remove the exhaust again! but ill leave this up to you.

then simply slide the pipe into the slot. be carefull as you WILL need to move it again later.

2nd part was the centre section. i cr*pped myself when i did this part as i noticed the mount on the magnex was in a different place than on the Si, but theres 2 mounts on the car :bonkers: you want the one you wasnt using originally which i think is the mount closer to the engine.
basically just clip the rubber mount onto the car mount and then clip the exhaust onto that...pretty simple still!
this was probably the hardest bit. now you need to slot the centre section into the first pipe you fitted, and then push the FIRST pipe in as far as possible until you get the clearance/hang suitable. i found that the centre section hung quite a bit but its been fine so far.

now all you do is fit the back box and onto the mount (which should already be covered in WD40 :lol: ) i'd recommend glueing the back box onto the centre section as it may come loose.

now you can tighten up all the D-clamps. youll notice theyre different colours. i think 1 color is for the cat-end, and the other 2 are for the centre section-cat and back box-centre section. you MUST fit these so the thread is pointing up! mine point down and scrape on most speed bumps...sounds like nails on a blackboard! :aaah:

**ive noticed there are 2 types of rubber exhaust mounts, but both fit and work the same.

NOW IT SHOULD BE LOOKING SWEET AND SOUNDING NICE!

hope some of you found this guide helpfull...i would have done before i fitted my f/s :)
taylor5788
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby filtra on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Good guide. I recently put a mongoose on my RST (no cat).

Only two things I would say are:

Removing - If the old one is going in the bin. Only undo the first part of the exhaust i.e. cat/downpipe/turbo exhaust hosuing depending on what you have. Cut the rest off with a meaty hacksaw! Saves so much time, blood and tears.

Replacing (appologies for not making sense) - To prevent it hanging low in the middle, when all the system is all joined, hung and joints are butted up together as far as poss. You can twist the back box outward i.e. to the rear driver side wheel, when you let go this will push the mid section up. It's not that easy but when you are doing it you will see what I mean. Just make sure it doesnt snag on the handbrake cable or gear linkage.

Also I had to use paste in the middle because I couldnt for the life of me get it to stop the small leaks.

ALSO if you are taking the exhaust housing off a turbo car be so so gentle and use a huge breaker bar if you can, dont snap off the thread in the turbo like I did :)
Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby taylor5788 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:47 pm

Also I had to use paste in the middle because I couldnt for the life of me get it to stop the small leaks.

leaks on a magnex? :lol:
i think i may try glueing it on all joints except the cat (so i can still remove the exhaust if i needed to.)

at least its a rough guide for someone who needs it :lol:
taylor5788
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.