Fitting Twin 40s - what else is needed ?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Fitting Twin 40s - what else is needed ?

Postby DorsetZS on Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:57 pm

I am going to buy SYRSMADS Twin 40s for my soon project xr2i, and was wondering what else I need to fit them ? I was reading old posts and it said a new ecu ? And also, being carbs are they ok in the winter/cold ? What else would you recommend I do to increase the power with these, cam etc ? Can it still be chipped ? Thats it for now :lol:

Cheers Dan
DorsetZS
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bassboy on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:29 pm

ull need an electronic fuel pump, and u dont need to run engine management when running carbs as far as im aware as all the electronic gadetory is mainly used to fuel the car through the fuel injection system...but now ur gonna have carbs which are pedal operated so to speak.

Carbs are generally ok, but u might experience a bit of stutterting and stuff while the engine is cold first thing in the morning...i have also heard of carb freeze when condensation freezes up in the carbs...but not on twin 40s so u should be fine.

If u want even more power, go for a flowed head with some cam work and ull be rocketing up that road! :Q

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby DorsetZS on Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:38 pm

cheers ! just gettin some prices together for now, spoke to mate at garage and he can get fuel pumps, just wondered which one ? is it done on pressure ? and where and how much am i looking for gas flowed head ? Cheers

Dan
DorsetZS
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby PF Dave on Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:17 am

Facet Silver Top competition fuel pump is the pump you need, run that in conjunction with a filter king fuel pressure regulator.

To get the most out of them you need to have at least a mediumly tuned engine, ie, cam, head work, exhaust. Otherwise your cutting off your nose to spite your face so to speak.

You can use management on weber carbs, using the weber alpha engine management when you use crank position sensor etc and are able to map it, BUT that costs mega money. You dont as your going to use them use your ecu for that anymore, it is as bassboy said operated simply by how much you plonk your foot down, how much the butterfly opens and how much fuel gets sucked in!

It will be a mare in winter for the first few minutes and will be a bit hessitant but then it flippin loves the cold air and I never had a set ice on me, although my standard XR2 carbs does it all the time ! lol

Have fun!
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby DorsetZS on Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:15 pm

Cheers !!! I am learning all the time ! Am i right in thinking that these used to be yours but you sold them to sy ? If so can i catch you on msn and chat ? Was looking at your site last night, and its so helpfull, so much info, everyone chek it out !!

Thanks Dan
DorsetZS
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby PF Dave on Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:25 pm

Yeah course mate.

am changing broadband providers at the mo so will only be on briefly on eveningd for next week or two.

add me anyway - and thanks for the plug! lol :wink:
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.