flatten underside

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

flatten underside

Postby So_SiMpLe_ on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 pm

hi there!

I was thinkin, has anyone of you ever made some panels to flatten and smoth the underside of the car?

Did you find it noticeble?

In what material did you do it?

Thanks
So_SiMpLe_
Poster
Poster

Re: flatten underside

Postby Ruishy1 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:37 am

dont know if anyone has done it, but would be easy enough with some aluminium alloy sheet, with a well designed splitter, and the addition of a rear diffuser, it would make a difference to the cars handling at speed :)
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby curly on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

best thing to do would probably get the bellypan of an xr2i that came origionaly with the car, and all tho they are rearer than chickens teeth, that woul be best thing to use as a base model to fabricate from, i have only ever seen one plastic ford fes bellypan on ebay brand new, and it went for a couple of hundred!!!!!

but again worth while invention as again will not only help stop s**t,( and rabbits heads :lol: ) from getting all over the engine componants but will aid in performance, looks spanking to, specially if you get it pollishedup like it oesn on astons

only down side is youe probably have to use quite a thick grade of alloy or steel which will increase the weight,

and most vital thing is to make sure air is able to adiquatly cool the underside of the engine and what have you,

and thinking about it, it should help lower the engine noise
k496 ghk-blue-fully customised1.1(scrapped)
g23 ean-white-smoooothed2i(scrapped)
h789wvo-red- slammed2i-2.0l(dayly hack)
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dangerousdave on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:20 pm

i was thinking about doing this when i had my e36 as that had one on that also had a channel for air to the front brakes, that said if you made a template up a carbon fibre one would be awsome!! theres a guy on turbosport making bits now!! :D :D
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Ruishy1 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 pm

the added weight from using alloy plate will only be a few kilos, it wont be alot as you dont need to use 1/4 inch plate, 1.5mm will be more than adequate.
I wouldnt bother with CF, as the extra expense would make it totally unviable IMHO :)
Ruishy1
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby curly on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 pm

yeah and plus the fact your guna scratch the s**t outa it if your cars low to, specially going over speed bumps, your guna see 40 quid wasted each time you go over one lol

ive been thinking about doing this aswell, but only on the front,

its just having time space and money to do so lol :lol:
k496 ghk-blue-fully customised1.1(scrapped)
g23 ean-white-smoooothed2i(scrapped)
h789wvo-red- slammed2i-2.0l(dayly hack)
[HOONIGAN]
main priority!!!
A-B-U-S-E-!-!
curly
Post Master
Post Master

Postby So_SiMpLe_ on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:21 am

You ideas are great that original xr2i belly pan is a great (but expensive) choice!

I was thinking aout only flatten under the engine and ander the spare tyre and the surounding zone, leaving only enough space to when the spare tyre needed I won't need the take the hole flat piece off.

I was thinkin abou fiber glass at the back and plastic on the from, from any other car or engine.

The VAG group has those plastic ones that have some cubic bubbles to absorb some engine sound.

It was just a question of choppin and addin to make it fit properlly.

Another question: the front fender lip can be a renault clio phase 2 one?

Some of you use the laguna one, but I have the simple bumper as you can see in the photo bellow: |||||
So_SiMpLe_
Poster
Poster

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:50 am

If you own a FRST i would not recommend you trying to fit a belly pan, as the engine bay needs as much cooling air as it can get. This is why the belly pans were never fitted from the Xr.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby So_SiMpLe_ on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:12 pm

In my ideia just wanted to fit the front pan between the front and the carter, leaving the ehxaust side to cool.
So_SiMpLe_
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.